PDA

View Full Version : modelling scenic bases

Aun O Vader
01-10-2006, 03:51 PM
ok guys, hust a quick question really, I\'m planning on creating a scenic base for my Shas\'O, by gluing some small pebbles onto the base. I\'ve got the base and a few pebbles that give me the effect I\'m looking for, I\'m just wondering, what\'s the best way to stick this together, I\'ve got superglue, PVA or a hot glue gun, and at the moment I\'m edging towards the hot glue gun. Any advice would be greatly recieved!

Skrall
01-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Depends.

Rainy city/water: hot glue gun, also good for swamps. pva goes the same
Sand/rubble: pva with flock

pretty much pva i find. superglues naff and glueguns are a bit hammer handed for the job

Hawke

DarthXander
01-10-2006, 04:27 PM
If there is anything large going onto it stones wise superglue is far too brittle!

Aun O Vader
01-10-2006, 05:12 PM
hmm, not sure I explained myself properly, this is the type of pebbles I\'m talking about! hence why I\'m thinking HGG.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/huntercadre/images/shasotter.jpg

Big D
01-10-2006, 05:13 PM
The best bet is to use the PVA as you can put flock or sand to it while you wait for it to dry and it settels into a natural shape as hot glue is more like playdo and will not look right around the edgeds of the stones you have chosen.

Laterz B)

mark
01-10-2006, 05:39 PM
you wnat to super glue and pin it to the base

grinkohof
01-10-2006, 11:27 PM
for something that big i\'d pin it and use superglue.

Starks333
02-10-2006, 05:46 AM
well id use wood glue, its strong enough to hold anything

hot glue is messier, and it doesnt bond well to plastic so doesnt hold as well...super glue doesnt have the bonding it needs to hold it on if you drop the model

and id watere it down after it dries and throw on another layer

Starks

Indra
03-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Pinning wont work with the standard GW pin vice set as anything other than slate is too tough, and PVA works well in moderation with flock/fine sand added, as long as its not overloaded with glue, as if there is too much the central sections wont dry.

I found that using PVA around the edges and superglue in the central areas beneath the stone worked as superglue provided an initial bite, and PVA set solid. I also used a thin sausage of greenstuff to mould around the stone and set solid.

Not the best image to use but you can see the use of mixed sand across the base, and there is a line of GS behind the PVA/Sand mix, and Superglue in the middle. And the rock is a whole article, not several pieces and to this day it is firmly attached with a metal hive tyrant glued to it using the exaxt same method as was attaching the rock to the base.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f118/RonJonesLP/Hive%20Tyrant/HiveTyrant001.jpg