PDA

View Full Version : Example of simple blending

Starks333
26-09-2006, 05:16 AM
Ok so this image shows how blunt the highlight i did on top of previous layers is...clearly ugly and far too bright....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM1279.jpg

until....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Other%20Models/HPIM1281.jpg

i started with black, then did a bit of codex/chaos mix for a dark grey, threw it on, did a wash, then threw on the shadow grey(the shadow grey step was shown in the first picture)and washed with the dark grey, however certain spots were too grey and it no longer looked black(where the grey wash landed in black areas) in order to make it look black again, i simply watered down black and applied it over the areas i wanted darker again

Starks

mark
26-09-2006, 06:49 PM
cool could you do some step by step pics that will help a lot

karma boost comeing your way (in 6 hours)

Scolar
26-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Thats good of you to post that Starks. It makes one hell of a difference to painting :)

Starks333
27-09-2006, 12:20 AM
mark wrote:

cool could you do some step by step pics that will help a lot

karma boost comeing your way (in 6 hours)

***like qa full step by step because, that right there showed pretty much what i did...i just:

-painted a colour over black
-washed it
-painted a highlight colour
-washed it
-then washed black in spots i made too grey

the first pic starts at step 3 and the next pic is step 5, the only difference between 4 and 5 is a little clean up

Thats good of you to post that Starks. It makes one hell of a difference to painting

***no problem, this is a technique thats simple and can be taken further, it just depends on how many layers(time) you want to spend on the model

this should probably only take you 15mins or so to do, simply due to drying time, so you could probably do 5 men like this an hour once you get the hang of it(maybe even faster)

i will probably make a tutorial when i do the daemon prince model im being commissioned, however i cant take too many step by step pics because the difference will be almost unnoticeable in some steps(because theres like 20 layers sometimes which gradually build up colour) but i will try to explain as i go, hopefully it turns out how i want :)

just keep in mind when washing, let it dry overnight before deciding on whether or not you need another highlight, the colours will usually fade a bit, also look at it in different light(natural is best) because fluorescent and other types of light might affect how it looks(fluorescent for ex. makes the blending look bolder and less smooth)

Starks

fridge61
27-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Good guide starks

**karma boost**

mark
27-09-2006, 03:20 AM
ah yes i see now, does this work on flat armour as well as fabric/robes ?

Starks333
27-09-2006, 05:05 AM
works on everything big or small, flat or bumpy

just requires different amounts of effort, water and strokes as you dont want colour getting everywhere

im doing the simple blending on my fists...i actually like the effect my beigey blue has to the hue when washed over with regal, changes it from a purpley blue(regal is purpley) to a more true blue which is perfect

(i actually think what i did was a glaze not a wash, i get confused as they are so alike...washes shade glazes change the colour i think)

it can be taken further and doing more steps will mean smoother blending...so smoother contrast...you could even highlight the black a bit more

Starks