PDA

View Full Version : Painting tips- help!

fridge61
23-09-2006, 11:42 PM
I am currently trying to paint a squad of 12 Tau FW\'s. Using the paint scheme from the fluff on my army I just can\'t get any of them to look battleworn. Anyone got any tips or ideas for me?

Starks333
24-09-2006, 12:36 AM
love to help but i cant find your fluff and so i dont know what colours you are using

also what kind of weathering/battle damage?

climate wear?
actual physical damage(like with a knife)?
scrapes?
dirtyness?
other strange stuff?

:)

Starks

Scolar
24-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Yeah as Starks mentioned, there are lots of ways to battle damage a model. From painted on scratches and bullet holes to darker shades striped on the model for it to look weathered

fridge61
24-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Ah right well.... i suppose climate wear and a bit of dirtyness.

As for my fluff here it is linky (http://www.astronomican.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=165&Item id=61)

Drackonis
24-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Well, dirtyness can be easily applied threw the use of drybrushing. Simple paint the model and then drybrush suitable areas with progressive shades of your dirt colour (or whatever they are covered in!). You could do this around the legs and try and blend it into the base texture... Experiment!

Big D
27-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Hey man

I havent yet started to paint my tau army but as for painting armour I like to use this simple mehod :-

Paint a small black patch onto the model and then use chainmail in the center of the \"patch\" and it give a good basic scrached affect.

Normally use this method on the corners of things like shoulder pads and rifels.

Hope this helps

Laterz B)

Drackonis
27-09-2006, 10:24 AM
To get scratch marks I once experimented with actually scrapping the paint off, I havent really used it that much but mabye it will help.

First you paint the colour you wont the scratch to be, then you paint the armour colour, then you scratch away the armour colour and it should leave the scratch colour underneath, im not sure how effective it would be because I havent really had to do much scratches, but it might work well.

Scolar
27-09-2006, 04:07 PM
If you paint on the scratches make sure you have a brighter shade of the armour colour in a line directly underneath the scratch, this with practice will create the effect of a sunken scratch.

Starks333
27-09-2006, 11:22 PM
its very very difficult to get the \"sunken\" result with metallics simply because they always shine and look like they are on top of all the other colour, the black helps to break away the metallics from the \"paint\" but unless you have the effort to blend a little bit in tiny areas and add thin fine lines it probably will come out looking more as scratchs

i will work on it on my fists eventually as im not sure im happy with bright scratches that i have on my test mini

Starks

fridge61
28-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Thanks everyone:)