PDA

View Full Version : Kroot Warsphere... ROFL!

Carrelio
15-04-2010, 01:58 AM
So, I was just watching a game of BFG at the local game store. I was very happy to see Tau there! But my love of Tau is not what this thread is about... it's about the Warspheres.
I have never seen such a stupid invention in my life. And this is why.

The Warsphere has some funky rules. The only way it can turn... the ONLY way, is to declare all ahead full. Then, you roll 2d6. The sphere moves 10cm, then whatever you roll on those 2d6 in any direction you want to move in. However, the sphere will continue to move in the original direction it was going unless you roll a 10 or higher.

So I was watching the game. The sphere is rolling along. It finally gets in range of an enemy (30cm)! It fires off a full round of shots which do relatively little. The Imperial guy decares all ahead full and books it away.

Unable to turn, the sphere just keeps on going... and going... and going. It's getting aweful close to the edge of the board (for those of you who don't know BFG, if you go off the board... you die). The Imperials have taken the fight to the Tau on the other side of the board, and the sphere is being pretty damn useless...
The guy playing it is starting to panic... he tries desperately to turn it around, but keeps rolling under 10.

Finally, despite his best effort, the sphere rolls (kicking and screaming) off the table edge. 145 points, the enemy didn't even have to worry about.

Now... between you and me... that was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. That was dumber than usual kroot dumb (the Kroot don't strike me as exceptionally intelligent)... that was just ridiculous.

I don't know if it will be as funny for all of you to read... maybe you had to be there... but use your imaginations a bit. I laughed until I cried.

Skringly
15-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Kroot are more Awesome than you, they can navigate the Warp better. :grin:

Silver
15-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Kroot are more Awesome than you, they can navigate the Warp better. :grin:

Yup....involves cruisin' wit dat sphere around the block, trying to pick up space chicks.

Ossai
15-04-2010, 10:08 PM
The model on GWs site actually looks pretty funny itself

Carrelio
15-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Its one of the better looking models that GW made for the Tau fleet (Forge world is so much better)... but at $80 Canadian I'm not buying one of those unstoppable hamsterballs anytime soon. I still see it... as though it were yesterday... The Tau guy desperately trying to turn his sphere around... only to fail and lose a ship which was never even shot at.

And I don't know if the kroot have any form of warpdrive... I suppose they must since they do follow the Tau to the furthest reaches of the Empire... but really... does that spaceball look like it could survive a trip into the warp? Its rules state that its so poorly constructed that it never becomes a hulk or roles on the critical hit table... it just breaks apart and is replaced with 3 blast markers.

Hephesto
15-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Well fluffwise the Kroot send out hunting groups as mercs all over space to gather new genetic material and the spheres themselves are even used as fullblown landingcraft that serve as temporary housing.

GFB rules are a tad dodgy to say the least, all head full :grin:

Ossai
15-04-2010, 11:25 PM
GFB?

You are getting a bit backwards Heph ;)

The Dim Reaper
16-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Its one of the better looking models that GW made for the Tau fleet (Forge world is so much better)... but at $80 Canadian I'm not buying one of those unstoppable hamsterballs anytime soon. .

My idea would be get a ping pong ball and stick a cocktail stick through the bottom. If you like you can draw some lights and stuff onto it and some kroot looking out the vision slit. Voila, instant Kroot warsphere :grin:

Cheers,

Dim

Carrelio
17-04-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm tempted to make an entire army of them and just roll them across the board. They count as boarding strength of 20 and shoot 12 in all directions... so they are pretty scary... if they wern't so silly... I think the shape reminds me more of those elastic balls you make as a kid (the ones where you take elastic bands and wrap them around eachother to make a ball).