PDA

View Full Version : IS converstions for you and me?

Dyp
19-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Being such a noob at everying thing in 40k:( i thought what conversion what be best to start a loser (im such a under aged, no good taktics, met ppl that dont know the name of stuff or live to far away to come to my house and play loser:( :( :( )
(Did i foroget cant spell?) to start converting

What would be the best way to start me off for converting untill i can make a knilling term that has a hammer (a may make a \"how to make custom wepons?\" thread) over his head and mouth gaurd that looks like the Custodes Terminator ones.:pinch: MOUTHFULL http://www.astronomican.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/term3_front.jpg

Post edited by: dyp100, at: 2006/09/20 00:37

Aun O Vader
20-09-2006, 01:14 AM
First of all you need a little bit more confidence in your abilities. we all started out as Noobs (despite what people like Hawke/HV or whatever he\'s calling himself these 5 minutes is bound to say!) and we all had to learn somewhere. When it comes to conversions the simple answer is to have the confidence to start cutting some of you expensive models up.

You need to accept that sometimes things will go wrong and you will end up with a bad looking model. But the confidence to start is the first step on the path to glory. Start with some simple head/weapon swaps, possibly try making a SM in power armour so that he is in a position with a leg up on a pebble or something. as you try more and more poses you\'llget an appreciation for how to make a model look like it is in a natural position. Before you know it you\'ll be ready to try and make a kneeling terminator.

in terms of that custodes, he looks like he\'s had an imperial aquila bent around his face, and had any gaps filled in with GS, but I\'m not sure.

Don\'t get put of if things don\'t succeed, just keep trying.

Dyp
20-09-2006, 01:20 AM
man you adults know how to cheer up cildren like me (Darn life exp) any way i can try slices up the leg my new SGT, may look good with his sniper rifle (couts as a comb-plasmag gun just looking cool)
mabye i could chop up a plamsa gun and stick to into my sniper rifle?

edit: its green stuff just carved with a two hended eagle, soon i may be able to make so cool stuff? how knows

Post edited by: dyp100, at: 2006/09/20 02:23

Scolar
20-09-2006, 03:09 AM
For some easy Greenstuffing tips just take you time and make sure that the GS is wet, so get a spare water cup out to dunk that stuff into to \'lube\' it up. Make sure you have a tool to cut into the GS because it is nigh impossible to do it without, I use a blunt-ish knife and a nice sharp scalpel tool for this.(just try not to stab yourself like I do ;) )

You will need to fill in the gaps on the bendy parts (words have escaped me) and put stripes in them to blend in.

Hopefully these tips work for you because they let me use very very old green stuff effectively

Dyp
20-09-2006, 03:25 AM
yer, i hope some day ill be as good as your guys, I noly started liking it 2 and a half years, then i stop and started again when Wich hunters came out,

with my freinds choas and mine togheter ive got so mighty fine army, i can pratics on some of are choas stuff, we where a team untill hes mum hipnotised him not to like it, and made him throught his stuff out

see throught it was to much money to buy new stuff

JUST KEEP THE OLD STUFF YOU B**CH!

Sorry for my syaring, just thats the only person i know prorbely that played 40k

Skrall
20-09-2006, 03:45 AM
AunO Vader wrote:

we all started out as Noobs (despite what people like Hawke/HV or whatever he\'s calling himself these 5 minutes is bound to say!)

Nope, i was found fully formed ont he back of a turtle swimming in the naval of an earwig.

Hawke

Ocelot
20-09-2006, 04:14 AM
I started around your age Dyp! Maybe younger, I cant remember... Anywho, keep at it, try out adventurous new techniques and don\'t be afraid to use your amagination!

I can\'t spell tonight...That\'s a good sign for my english GCSE\'s if I carry on like this...

Aun O Vader
20-09-2006, 04:21 AM
Nope, i was found fully formed ont he back of a turtle swimming in the naval of an earwig.

somehow that comes as no suprise whatsoever!

mark
20-09-2006, 04:33 AM
like evryone else has said, be confidont, start out with something small/simple, be imaginative and for insperation just look around at loads of diffrent sites

DavicusPrime
20-09-2006, 04:46 AM
I\'ve been playing on and off since I was in high school... many moons ago. I got out of the hobby for close to ten years for the same reason you now lament: Lack of opponents.

But since then GW shops have opened up in the area and there are actually folks to play and places to meet them.

I haven\'t done much conversion work myself. For my marines all I\'ve done are the occasional hand swap.

Then I started Orks... The part I dread: I have to convert tons of stuff to make my army list. The part I like: Orks are messy thus imperfect conversions are completely in character with the army.

Things you can do to practice: Take extra bits from your plastics that we all build up over time and make things with them. Take a spare arm and reposition it. Take a spare flamer/bolter and make a combi-weapon.

Use greenstuff or any other modelling compound you like and add tabards/hoods/straps to your conversion guinea pigs.

These are the things I\'ve done.

Then I made a Warboss for my army that required that I scratchbuild a Power Klaw, Powersource backpack and add armor plates. I\'m about 70% done with it but after some more detail and paint I figure it\'ll look spiffy.

My Servoskull familiar for my librarian was also pretty good... Carved a skull face out of a spare marine helmet, leaving some of the helmet bits for the cybernetic augmetics, added an antenna, mechadendrites and a bladed manipulator arm. That one will also be cool when I finally get around to painting it.

But all of it is trial and error. Just make sure the first attempts are made with cheap/replacable parts and you\'ll take the pressure off yourself.

-DavicusPrime

Starks333
20-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Archon N wrote:

For some easy Greenstuffing tips just take you time and make sure that the GS is wet, so get a spare water cup out to dunk that stuff into to \'lube\' it up. Make sure you have a tool to cut into the GS because it is nigh impossible to do it without, I use a blunt-ish knife and a nice sharp scalpel tool for this.(just try not to stab yourself like I do ;) )

You will need to fill in the gaps on the bendy parts (words have escaped me) and put stripes in them to blend in.

Hopefully these tips work for you because they let me use very very old green stuff effectively

***actually you dont want your GS wet, you want your tool wet, not overly wet otherwise you wont be able to clearly see your GS, and the water gets in the way and also makes it harder to sculpt

GS sticks better when theres no paint/primer etc on the model, make sure its clean

next you will want to find proper tools, you can use knives but it will be very difficult, if you cant get a real sculpting kit(warstore.com has them) you can just buy the one GW sells, its handy for easy stuff

dont do too much at once and keep your fingers away, nothing worse than fingerprints in the GS

you may want to consider a pin vice and paperclips to pin the leg together in its position which makes it easier to fill with GS...if you do it this way do it in two parts...first fill up the majority of the area with one layer of GS...leaving only a little bit all around not filled

then with the second step fill the remainder, smoothen it, and do details if you want, this way when you press to smoothen you wont fudge up the whole leg as the under layer will of hardened

;)

Starks

Skrall
20-09-2006, 02:11 PM
AunO Vader wrote:

somehow that comes as no suprise whatsoever!

Why should it?

Hawke

Indra
24-09-2006, 04:33 AM
And try things dyp. Its all practice that makes the people better at this, so just follow the hints and dive in, trying smaller ideas out first and build up.

Have faith in yourself and if it doesnt work out, chalk it up to experience. Try simple think like fur cloaks to begin with and take it from there.

TOP TIP: Don;t give up and if in doubt, ask again and post some pics! We can better advise you then!