PDA

View Full Version : Bitten off more than I can chew?

Trick
19-09-2006, 06:01 AM
Just finished painting my Blood Angels army in 2 days! So relieved, but I still have 5 more armies (see \'Sanguinary Project\' on the forum) to paint by saturday when I go back to uni!

Yikes!

Luckily two of them are smaller armies and I got the big Land Raider out of the way tonight aswell.

Anyone got any helpful tips on how to paint red marines quick quick? Not looking forward to batch painting Angels Vermillion - see below.

Trick

ps. Red Ink is my new best friend! :D

http://www.astronomican.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/Angels_Vermillion_2.jpg

Broodlord
19-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Quick tip:

Get a red spray undercoat (primer) from Halfords and use it to undercoat them red. This is what I did when I had to paint 2000pts of beserkers for a tournament in 3 days.....

Saves you some time at least, then Highlight and Ink wash the red and put transfer on, jobs a good un and they look not bad.

Kill Maim Burn

Trick
19-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the tip!
Any spray I should be wary of? Last time I used a Halfords spray (about 7 years ago) it melted my marines faster than a Meltagun in a volcano!

Trick

Broodlord
19-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Only use the primer and test it out on a sprue first. I had no problem and with GW not making anything but White and Black I used cans of primer on my drop pods as well.....

Kill Maim Burn

Trick
19-09-2006, 03:11 PM
cool! thanks again for the help!

mark
19-09-2006, 11:10 PM
for my cf i just use scab red as a under coat, then lighten it up with blood red, thenpaint over with red ink, it doesnt give much shadeing but just for my table top standerd on shoulder rims and hands i find it ok

there is a CF painting guide lurking around somewere for some pics...

[edit]

here it is CF P G (http://www.astronomican.com/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=&func=view &catid=21&id=17105#17105)

Post edited by: mark, at: 2006/09/20 00:11

Trick
21-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Woo! Just finished my Angels Vermillion army!
Thats Blood Angels, Blood Drinkers and Angels Vermillion finished!
Now just gotta do Angels Sanguine, Angels Encarmine, Flesh Tearers and 35 Death Company by saturday!

Ps. Great tip on the red spray paint! I bought Halfords \'Bright Red\' BMW spray (only the best for my marines), it gives a slightly darker shade than Blood Red so gives you good shading on armour plates ;) unfortunatley it also leaves them rather glossy so they need a wash with ink to sort that out but the results are awesome, I\'ll get some pics soon!

Trick

Scolar
21-09-2006, 11:00 PM
You must be the fastest painter I know! Please tell me you do highlight your models, because that would be awesome

Trick
21-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey, just put an Angels Vermillion Veteran squad in the gallery :)

I\'m really trying to get this army finished before I go to uni on sunday and its a huge task! 6,050 points and over 170 Marines plus vehicles!!!

I\'m painting as quick as I can so they\'re only gaming standard, nothing special.

You asked about highlighting, here\'s what I did for the Angels Vermillion...

1) Black undercoat all over.
2) Dry brush liberally over all the armour plates with Scab Red.
3) Dry brush the edges of the eyes, kneepads, backpack and shoulder pads with Blood Red (for the shoulder pad colour the rim and a little bit into the main plate with slightly watered Blood Red).
4) Wash the whole model over with fairly watered Chaos Black so that it settles in the grooves.
5) Paint the weapons(s), pipes, vents, eye lens etc with Chaos Black
6) Paint the same again (leave upper casing on weapons) with Mithril Silver for a good contrast.
7) With a fine detail brush paint the eye lens with Enchanted blue.
8) For the Sergeant I identified him with a Burnished Gold chest eagle and a blue power weapon with white energy sparks across the blade.
9) Add any unit markings/chapter badges etc as you wish (note because of the Angels of Vermillion colour the chapter badge will be quite hard to make out!)

And there you have it, for 6 marines I average about 2 hours.

Trick

Trick
22-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Just finished my Angels Sanguine army!
That\'s 4 down, 2 to go! Awesome!!!

Blood Angels - done
Blood Drinkers - done
Angels Vermillion - done
Angels Sanguine - done
Angels Encarmine - work in progress
Flesh Tearers - waiting

This is how far I\'ve got since sunday, not too bad me thinks! You can see a preview of what I\'ve got so far in the Space Marines Gallery :)

Wish me luck! 2 armies, 2 days!

Trick

Post edited by: Trick, at: 2006/09/23 00:45

Post edited by: Trick, at: 2006/09/23 00:50

mark
23-09-2006, 03:57 AM
Blimey ! you paint fast

Trick
24-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Well guys and dolls, I\'m ending transmission! Gotta pack up my computer to go back to uni, so I don\'t think I\'ll be able to update you any further on my project.

I\'m doing well, I\'ve finished 4 out of 6 armies and as it stands I\'m a Dreadnought and 2 Speeder away from finishing the Angels Encarmine, then its just a small Flesh Tearers force and the Death Company to paint and I\'m done!!!

Thanks for all the support, help and comments! When I\'m back at uni I should be finished and I\'ll hopefully have more pics, until then - don\'t miss me too much hahaha!

Later days

Trick

mark
24-09-2006, 04:58 PM
i hope you coe back some day, and when you do post some pics

Trick
26-09-2006, 06:18 AM
Wooo! Finished my 6,000 pt Sanguinary army!
It took me 9 days to paint from last sunday to about 10pm tonight (UK time). Soooo happy, I now have a huge army ready to deploy to uni when I move out tomorrow (how\'s that for timing).

I\'ll post a pic of the army in the galley soon and close ups when I get set up later in the week.

Cheers guys

Trick