PDA

View Full Version : Molding

Col.Feren
13-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Hey, anyone know how hard it is to make scenery out of plastic molds?
And does anyone know how hard they are to beak depending on the material?
Thanks,

Honsou
13-03-2010, 08:33 PM
That depends on what you're looking to do... if you're looking for simple stuff like remoulding sprue into beams and the like, then its easy enough. If you're looking to create more advanced things... well, you're looking at alot of effort and money.

Col.Feren
13-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm looking to make bricks then stick them together and ergo have a building, looks to be a very fine idea. Was thinking of using dental plaster, (Usually for teeth molds). I though I'd ask you chaps to see what you knew about this sort of thing.

Honsou
13-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Oh well, in that sort of thing you shouldn't have too much difficulty. I would recommend using either Greenstuff moulds or resin/plaster moulds, rather than trying to work with plastic. If you've got alot of sprue around, you could melt that down and use it, which I've done in the past. It's a bit more tricky though.

Silent_P
13-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I'd use a generic plaster for casting bricks. You could go a step further and build a mould for your walls and then cast your plaster so you're not casting individual bricks. All the same, some rubbers, neoprene and Teflon work well. You might also try using latex. Bear in mind this is all second hand information.

If you end using a more rigid material, you may require something like Mold Release.

Col.Feren
13-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm really wanting Napoleonic terrain, so I'm thinking of using hirstarts (http://www.hirstarts.com/) mold which seem nice for Iberian peninsula buildings.