PDA

View Full Version : Paint 'Clotting'?

Wrathchild
10-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Just wondering if anyone has a solution for painting seemingly clotting up. Happens a lot with boltgun metal for me in particular, although that might just be coincidence as it has happened with a variety of colors. It's like the stuff just turns into a goopy, nurgely mess. Sometimes adding water to the pot will get it workable again, but usually I find it's just easier to get a new pot. Anyone know the cause of this/possible ways of preventing it, it's just a waste of money and really just a huge inconvenience.

Musashi
10-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Sad as it may seem, i shake my paints at every oppertunity (and i mean all of them..) each time i paint, when i clean my workspace off, when i walk past, when im moddeling not painting...

i dont get any clotting

Captain Castus
10-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Aye... Keep shaking... And keep adding a drop of water every now and then...

And obviously keep them out of sunlight and away from any heat...

CC

NathanS
10-03-2010, 04:30 PM
You could also take some metal sprue and cut it up in chunks and add to the metalics to make an agitator for it. makes shaking it faster.

Consadine
10-03-2010, 04:33 PM
You could also take some metal sprue and cut it up in chunks and add to the metalics to make an agitator for it. makes shaking it faster.

Sort of like the mixing ball for spray cans? That's a pretty genius idea... although wouldn't the metal react with the paint/oxygen/something to produce a tint to the paint that would be bothersome?

Wrathchild
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
That makes sense. My paint's pften go untouched for months while I'm at school, sitting on the desk. And my mom loves opening up the blinds to get light in the house so I'm sure that hardly helps. Thanks for the info all.

And dev, that was really genius. Put some metal flecks in a few of the pots that looked to be on their way to that stage and it fixed em good as new. Have some rep!

NathanS
10-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah just like a mixing ball for spray cans. Someone else told that to me I just use sprue that the mini's come off of and it has not tinged my paints yet so I do not think it reacts to it. As with the oxidization of the metal it stays submerged in paint so I would say no oxygen to it.