PDA

View Full Version : painting white armour

Let The Dice Decide
08-03-2010, 06:15 PM
does anyone have any good tips for painting white on armour.
I find it looks fairly uneven whenever i try it and the lack of shading makes it stand out too much (in a bad way). is it best to paint it a very light grey and then highlight to white??

Any suggestions
thanks

Consadine
08-03-2010, 06:27 PM
For a neutral white, I tend to start with Codex Grey as a basecoat and work my way up, even over white primer. You can add some blue to the grey and the subsequent mixing (Space Wolves Grey works, but I'm cheap) to give it a tint of blue. Same for most other colors.

It's also possible to go from a 50/50 Graveyard Earth/Bleached Bone mix and work your way up to white to get a very bright bone-ish sort of color. Example below is the trim of my Veterans' shoulderpads.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/zilities/IMG_0004-76.jpg

I hope that helps :grin:

Sardonic Wolf
08-03-2010, 06:51 PM
There was a guide in white dwarf a while back, if i can find it i'll let you know the issue number

Honsou
08-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Hmmm, personally I'd go with something like white brushed steel on most armor- start with a white spray, then add a silver and white mix, and slowly bring it up. Then highlight the edges with mithril or suchlike.

Let The Dice Decide
08-03-2010, 09:19 PM
some nice suggestion there, thanks.
never heard / thought of the silver idea before.. might give it a go.

Arctophylax Faren
09-03-2010, 06:04 AM
I know how you mean about it looking uneven - kind of looks chunky doesn't it? I hate painting white...

Honsou
09-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Part of that may be paint related? Try thinning it to the point where there is virtually no consistency, and then apply thin layers with an almost dry brush. Will take you forever but it should alleviate the clumping issue.

Vulpus Rex
09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Working from Shadow Grey, to Space Wolves Grey to a white/ SW Grey mix gives a clean bright white for me.

Musashi
09-03-2010, 11:30 AM
I prefer white going up from bone colour for amour and grey goign up to white for cloth.

These two also mean that you can have white armour and white cloth with some differentation in them scheme...

CheeriO
09-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I'd argue it should be the other way round Musashi. I reckon going from a bone colour to white on cloth looks more realistic, particularly on things such as bandages... I find grey to white looks 'harder' and less organic so I tend to use this for detail on armour and such things.

Honsou
09-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Well bandages are a whole different kettle of fish, not least because you need some yellow in there- probably a gryphonne sepia wash.

Let The Dice Decide
10-03-2010, 05:45 PM
I have always found working through the browns to white excellent for papers and scolls etc.
i may give the silvered white a try for next armour i do tho...