PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Your Brushes

NathanS
07-03-2010, 03:27 PM
OK most of you guys now that I really like to paint. Something some might not know is I used the same brushes for 5+ years the GW blue handled brushes they worked great for me until recently they started not to hold there point any more. I found something that I think is a miracle worker for this problem "The Masters" Brush Cleaner and Preserver. I have just been sitting here cleaning out an old drybrush that was all splayed out and such. It is removing all the paint from the ferrule and taking all the old paint stains off of the bristles not only that but it is actually going back to the shape it was when I bought it brand new. I have to say that this was $8 well spent.My 2 cents.

Honsou
07-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Sounds like a pretty good power hit... you know where this stuff can be bought, preferably online?

Ossai
07-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Is this (http://www.artifolk.co.uk/catalog/products/cleaning_accessories/the_masters_brush_cleaner_and_preserver_two_sizes. htm) it by any chance?

NathanS
07-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Yes it is ossai that is exactly the same product.

Ossai
07-03-2010, 04:41 PM
There you go, for a fiver (plus PnP) you can get some ;)

Honsou
07-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Oh jolly good :grin:

NathanS
07-03-2010, 04:51 PM
I was using it earlier and it was getting out tiny chunks of dried paint.and the stained bristles where going back to there original color. I was told that all you have to use this stuff is like every other week other than that just rinse your brushes normally.

Silent_P
08-03-2010, 03:34 AM
For those of us not in the know, like me, how exactly is one supposed to clean their brush? I learned from experience that it's not a good idea to jab it into the bottom of your cup and jiggle it around till all the paint comes out. Kinda leaves the bristles in a bad position.

Commissar_Cain
08-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Well, with this cleaner, its like a plastic tin full of soap. You wet your brush, or put a little bit in the tin with the soap, and swirl your brush around in it. Rinse, repeat, till the brush is clean. GW put our a special brush rinse cup that soaks your brush to keep is moist with out the brush touching bottom, this can also help til you can get around to cleaning it.

NathanS
08-03-2010, 12:14 PM
2 important do not does in brush care. Never just leave your brush in the water especially with the bristles touching the bottom. This bends the bristles and leaving it in the water over an extended time can weaken the adhesive in the ferrule and cause bristle lose. To make your brushes last the longest possible time do not do either of these things.

The way I use my brushes is when I am painting I just dip the bristles in clean water and swirl it around and wipe it on a paper towel until I get no paint coming out of it. After a couple of painting sessions I use this soap. I dip the brush in water rub it on the soap to lather it up some. I then brush the suds around on the palm of my hand when the suds change colors I wipe my palm and brush on a paper towel then rinse the brush in the water. I do this over and over until I see no color change to the suds and no paint chips coming out of the bristles.

I use the palm of my hand so I do not have the paint and paint chips add up on the top of the bar of soap to just be picked back up in the brush.