PDA

View Full Version : Painting lamps... What best to use?

Captain Castus
22-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi guys,

I need some ideas to improve lighting for painting so I can get some done upstairs rather than under the halogen glare in the kitchen (which is OK, but means sitting in the kitchen!).

Does anyone have have any experience of buying a lamp specificllly for painting minis?

Obviously any bright lamp would be OK... But I suspect that there are probably better suited types that emit a diffused or 'natural' light that would probably be better... But I don't know much about the topic really!

I just want a smallish lamp that can sit on the table next to me as I paint...

Thanks for any help/advice in advance.

CC

Hephesto
22-02-2010, 09:47 AM
A daylight bulb, though expensive and sometimes requiring a special lamb but it will alow ou to paint 24 hours a day. Crappy lighting for picture taking though, cameras seem to have real problems with it.

Vulpus Rex
22-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Yep, try and get two Daylight bulbs and you'll have no problems with light ever again :D. Most of the time they fit into a normal bayonet or screw fitting for a desk lamp.

Captain Castus
22-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Cheers guys... I guess the key would be in the bulb rather than the lamp really! :grin: Although I think the technical term for a bulb is a 'lamp' anyhoo...

I have found some 100W daylight bulbs online and shall purchase some forthwith!

I'll let you know how they turn out...

Seems curious that is should be bad light for photos... :confused:

CC

Consadine
22-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Seems curious that is should be bad light for photos... :confused:

I guess it depends on how you take the pictures. Set the White Balance to Daylight and that does wonders (Auto does not do wonders). Also try to have the light bounce off a surface so it's less directional (you can get a semi-transparent container to diffuse the light instead; the setup looks like this (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_vYkAquxeSZ8/S3AWX1395UI/AAAAAAAABBw/Fo3WSA-GYrc/s640/lamps02.jpg)).

NathanS
22-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Like con has said It is all how you set your camera up. All the pics in my gallery and WIP's are taken inside with regular light bulbs. I am just to lazy to carry my stuff outside to take pics so I have a setup in my basement to take pics in my homemade light box. If anyone wants I can always tell them how to build said setup.

@ Con I guess that info I turned you onto really helped out Huh?