PDA

View Full Version : How do you paint a urban barackaed?

Dyp
09-09-2006, 10:39 PM
TITLE

Ocelot
09-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Ok, use greys and metallic paints. Use inks to make it look weathered and rusty. Can\'t really say anything else unless I have a picture of what you want to paint.

Post edited by: NEPECCEL, at: 2006/09/10 01:22

Dyp
09-09-2006, 11:30 PM
yer, im doing it, Scrohed brown a bit watered down then druy bursh codex grey

Ocelot
10-09-2006, 12:23 AM
That sounds cool! If you need any help as you start to paint it then just ask and we should be able to help you.

Starks333
10-09-2006, 12:30 AM
heres a tip Dyp: type a specific question and make a little more sense if you are trying to get certain less general answers

as mentioned the simple greys/blacks/whites/blue-greys work fine, if you need insight how to do patterns google urban camo

water your paints down and you should be fine

Starks

Dyp
10-09-2006, 12:38 AM
Starks, i dont realy like the way you talk to me, but becasue im a nice guys I havent put doawn your karma, its too evil, iv done 3, the motor bike on looks bad casue its just brozens (the bike), and also im going to write a another usel question that will help me so be ready

Starks333
10-09-2006, 12:44 AM
Dyp100 wrote:

Starks, i dont realy like the way you talk to me, but becasue im a nice guys I havent put doawn your karma, its too evil, iv done 3, the motor bike on looks bad casue its just brozens (the bike), and also im going to write a another usel question that will help me so be ready

***well honestly its not that hard to type properly

whats brozens mean?? usel?? i cant help you if i have no idea what you are saying, it makes it sound like you are like 10 yrs old, and heck if you are i can change the way i explain things so they dont seem as complicated, help me help you

Starks

Dyp
10-09-2006, 12:46 AM
umm i write to fast, got to look at what I write, and im 11! soon to be telwe, so be prepared, the order for a check may come soon:P

Indra
10-09-2006, 04:56 AM
Off topic here, but Dyp, the last post was much clearer and much better.

Again, I praise you when you make the effort in your typing, so slow it down, get it better and I\'ll see your Karma rise for the effort.

Indra

Aun O Vader
10-09-2006, 05:37 PM
I\'m with Indra on this one Dyp, a lot of what you say makes sense, and you ask some good questions. the problem is that it takes a while to work out quite what you mean. If you just read through what you\'ve written before you post it then you\'ll probably find that you get a lot more replies and people willing to help who get put off trying to decipher your spelling.

I don\'t mean that spelling is required to be perfect, and things like brozen are easy to work out. but I still have no idea what the title of this thread is about.:huh:

Sorry if I sound like the fun police but I\'ll go with Indra as well, if you spend a bit more time thinking before pressing \"submit\" then you\'ll enjoy the site more because people won\'t crit as much and you\'ll get more out of us.

Dyp
10-09-2006, 05:52 PM
ok thanks for the talking to, so can we get back to talk about painting, ive only got two left

OMG I JUST SAW IM GETTING BETTER! Wow painting in gold does mack you thinking about amounts of paint to use (cant wait to finished and show you all:woohoo:)

Scolar
10-09-2006, 06:19 PM
So im guessing the barricades are rubble ect? Please show pictures when your done.

P.S it\'s good that you didn\'t lose all moral after the quite frankly insensitive comments that would have made me think twice about posting here again.

Aun O Vader
10-09-2006, 06:57 PM
ok then I\'m getting the impression that I may have expressed myself poorly here.

I didn\'t mean to be rude or insensitive in my previous post. I was trying to be helpful. If that\'s not the way that I came across then I apologise.

As a note on modelling, if Dyp or anyone else for that matter can give me some advise on painting large areas in metallic colours then I\'d be grateful. The best solution I\'ve ever managed is to paint things in black and then a heavy drybrush with the colour with some highlightin. But thats looks pretty bad on large areas, and you\'ll notice my tau now use no metallic areas at all!

Dyp
10-09-2006, 07:07 PM
no, i was shouting in happness because my paintings getting better, and im useing less paint, and can use paint like ink easy, I never get anrgy (well mabey at HV, he uses to my smiles on msn!)

Draxonfly
10-09-2006, 09:38 PM
As a note on modelling, if Dyp or anyone else for that matter can give me some advise on painting large areas in metallic colours then I\'d be grateful. The best solution I\'ve ever managed is to paint things in black and then a heavy drybrush with the colour with some highlighting. But thats looks pretty bad on large areas, and you\'ll notice my tau now use no metallic areas at all!

I find with painting with Metallic colours that starting with the lighest colour (the colour you would normally highlight to) and then shade it down with washes and inks is easier compared to starting with the darkest and highlighting up like you do with normal paint colours..

An Example: If I was painting an flat Ork plate..
-I would start with Mithril Silver all over..

-Then give it a light wash with snakebite leather..
The keep applying a few more layers of the Snakebite Leather wash but leaving out the highest points of the plate (the \'highlighted\' parts) a bit more at each layered wash.. (like feathering off)

-I would do the same again with a mix of Snakebite and a brown colour wash.. going down to the darker parts of the plate..

- the another wash with just the brown, again leaving the last colour of each wash showing a little ..

- then brown with some black mixed in wash for the darkest parts of the plate...

-then I would do a bit of black ink on the very darkest parts of the paint (maybe some brown ink too)

-Then I would touch up the highlighted bits with the silver again to smooth things out a little..

That gives the \'ork plate\' a kinda weatherbeaten look..
------
I do the same with golds and such, like using golds and washing with yellows, oranges, reds, chestnut and brown inks..

Using the metallic colours and shading down with colours that kinda \'match\' the main highlight paint, if ya know what I mean..

Sorry Dyp for extending your thread with this post, I don\'t really know what models your are talking about so I can\'t really give you any ideas there... But I hope my post helped a little...

Starks333
11-09-2006, 01:44 AM
always thin your paint with water when painting, metallics dont need as much thinning in general but it should be quite watery this way you wont get ugly bumps when applying it

next when doing nice metallics you absolutely must do washes and the like

for gold consider adding purple/green inks(mixing those two together is even better) same for bronzes(more green in a bronzeish colour) green adds wear, purple adds depth

for silvers add browns/greens/blacks and if you have it smoke, browns and greens add wear, blacks and smoke add depth

when using inks WATER THEM DOWN, otherwise you will get the ugly shiny effect where the ink pools, which is bad, watering it down will let you apply it thinner and work your depth

now im going to explain layering: when you draw something and shade it you dont just press as hard as you can to do dark and light as you can to do light, you cover the whole area and slowly darken certain spots by going over it and over it

the same thing applies when painting, in order to create depth you have to do a lot of layers to darken(or in most cases brighten) an area

itd be like this

||||||||||
||||||||
||||||
||||
|||
||
|

think of that as 7 layers of paint, as you can see theres 2 bars difference for the three darkest while the brighter you get the more subtle blending needs to be(because when things are brighter its easier to notice the difference between the shades of colour)

thats just an example to help explain the layering a bit, no one expects you to paint like that at your age, but i figured id try to simplify it a bit to help you understand, once i get a camera running(its in the shop...) ill try and make a tutorial if i can

Starks

Post edited by: Starks333, at: 2006/09/11 05:23

mark
11-09-2006, 04:05 AM
have you got any tips for wet blending ?

Starks333
11-09-2006, 04:26 AM
yes...dont do it :)

why? because its a pain to control...doesnt work nicely on smaller areas because the paint needs to be very wet to work, and doesnt look as nice

you can get away with 6 shades of colour on a robe and it will look very nicely done, not worthy of a daemon but nice for table top, shouldnt take that long either, and no messes when you screw up wet blending

washes are your friend when blending, it smoothens the joint lines of two shades, and blends them together

Starks

Indra
11-09-2006, 04:27 AM
I\'m going to second tips on wet blending as I\'d like to know more but I\'m going to recommend a new topic for it to get back on track with Dyp\'s barricade post.

In reference to an earlier comment, I wasnt being intentionally offensive, I was actually praising dyp as we have had conversations previously on his spelling and I know how much trouble he has with it, so in light of that I am now (due to more improved posting on Dyp\'s part) going to boost his Karma.

Dyp, I\'m looking forward to pics now, as your mention of metallic paints has peaked my interest!

Get em posted!

Indra