PDA

View Full Version : Painting Skeletons???

KaKlick
14-02-2010, 02:49 PM
Okay, as a few people know or have seen, I've recently begun assembling and painting a Vampire Counts army for Warhammer Fantasy. Now, I've tried drybrushing white onto the Skeleton Warriors and while I really like the look, I need to find something simpler to do since one of my main bad habits when it comes to painting is that when things get really tedious, I get bored and find something else to do :silly:

Are there any other ways that I can paint the skeletons quickly while still maintaining (a semblance of) good quality?? :confused:

Pherion
14-02-2010, 02:59 PM
You could try dipping. I've never done it and don't know the technique very well. But it'll pop out a crap load of minis really fast.

Zorganist
14-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Not sure whether it's simpler, but the only method I can remember is to use a white undercoat, then a Khemri Brown basecoat, Badab Black wash and a bleached bone highlight. It was in White dwarf, but I can't remember which issue it was.

The Warsmith
14-02-2010, 03:00 PM
I simply use Khemri as a basecoat, and then highlight with dheneb, then wash with brown. Its simple, but works.

NathanS
14-02-2010, 03:51 PM
When I get home I will look through my WD there was an article about dipping in it a guy did a whole skellie army the night before a tourney by dipping. I will find it and either post a tutorial on it or tell everyone what number it can be found in.

Carrelio
14-02-2010, 09:24 PM
You can't get much more efficient than drybrushing... but you could try the airbrush spraygun thing that GW has... or just some bone coloured spray paint. Follow up with a wash of something brown coloured and you're set. Very fast, very easy, solid looking army (I'd say this should take around 2 hours to complete a whole army this way).

japehlio
14-02-2010, 10:58 PM
What I used is: black spray; scorched brown (over everything); bleached bone drybrush; Devlan mud wash; bleached bone drybrush.

Consadine
14-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Scroll down (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=1100022&pIndex=1&aId=6800011&start=2). Hurrah washes!

grimdisco
15-02-2010, 01:38 AM
When the Old world mag comes out. There is ( If it makes the cut) an article on how to paint fast Bone in there.

japehlio
15-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Indeed there is! So, wait for that!

KaKlick
15-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Hmmm... I may go with the washes lol! Looks pretty easy to do :p

Bytemeh2
15-02-2010, 07:31 PM
I helped my dad with his skeletons way back when. And we would base bleached bone and then dip the whole model in a black or brown wash and set to dry. Gravity would do the rest. Ifthey are too dark, a drybrush highlight fixes it up. Too lite just dip again.

We also did different colors for the wash too. Having made our own and all. We did a dark red on white and the skeletons looked like they were recently ripped from a fresh corpse with blood still dripping off. We also did green and did a bright green drybrush to make it look like some necrotic magic aura.

You could try either of those for variety or to distinguish different units.

KaKlick
15-02-2010, 09:30 PM
I helped my dad with his skeletons way back when. And we would base bleached bone and then dip the whole model in a black or brown wash and set to dry. Gravity would do the rest. Ifthey are too dark, a drybrush highlight fixes it up. Too lite just dip again.

We also did different colors for the wash too. Having made our own and all. We did a dark red on white and the skeletons looked like they were recently ripped from a fresh corpse with blood still dripping off. We also did green and did a bright green drybrush to make it look like some necrotic magic aura.

You could try either of those for variety or to distinguish different units.

Any pics? I'm very intrigued by this technique :happy:

count varg
15-02-2010, 10:05 PM
for me i reckon the easiest quickest way is spray chaos black then drybrush bleached bone. but i find drybrushing a lot easier than using washes. not the greatest finish but good enough for tabletop ready.

Pherion
15-02-2010, 10:36 PM
for me i reckon the easiest quickest way is spray chaos black then drybrush bleached bone. but i find drybrushing a lot easier than using washes. not the greatest finish but good enough for tabletop ready.

I'd be interested to see how that turns out. Unfortunatly I've only ever had bad luck with trying to drybrush a light color like bleached bone over black. Typicaly it turns out yellowish brown because of the black undercoat.

Priming white and using a wash to generate your base coat results in more of a brown undercoat, and its much easyer to drybrush over.

Birdie
16-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Hmmm... I may go with the washes lol! Looks pretty easy to do :p

I'd recommend the washes as the quickest and easiest to do, here's some of my Khemri Blood Bowl Team, really easy;

- White undercoat
- Devlan Mud wash
- Quick Bleached bone drybrush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/sinclair53/DSCF0180-4.jpg

Full team here; http://www.astronomican.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14218

count varg
16-02-2010, 04:15 PM
@pherion
yeah you're probably right just thought about getting them battleready. i usually basecoat scorched brown and build up drybrushed highlights up to bleached bone.
love drybrushing skele's. makes then look dry and dirty.

KaKlick
16-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Hmm... how would one do an ice feel to a wash?

Zorganist
17-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Hmm... how would one do an ice feel to a wash?

Use a blue wash?

Bytemeh2
17-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Ice I would go with a bright blue to white highlight.

I'd base white, then do a heavy wash of a dark blue and let dry completely; the white primer will dilute the dark blue alot. Maybe a regal or ultramarines, depending on how dark you want it. You may have to do multiple washes to get the blue to settle to the desired color. Then I would do a heavy dry brush of a lighter blue, like enchanted blue. Then increasingly lighter dry brushes with ice blue up to skull white; applying another wash of blue if you need it along the way.

Satanaka
23-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Prime Skull white, wash Gryphonne Sepia.

It doesn't get any simpler than that.