PDA

View Full Version : Japehlio's Elven Log

japehlio
10-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Ok, well Il start mine up too!

So, some of you wondered why I started up High Elves, after protesting and disliking them for so long.
Essentially, Shadow King. Having never given the HE a chance, I was pleasantly surprised at how awesome Alith Anar was (especially having recently played Assassins Creed2), and his army of elite Shadow Warriors...

So Im going for an archer force, something that will be a complete change for me after my VC.

I currently have Alith Anar and 10 Shadow Warriors, and I have an order for some Wood Eld Glade guard placed, the high elf archers with their robes seemed out of place in a Nagaryth Army, but WE, minus the tree bits, I hope will work a lot better...

So, we shall see!

Aeth
10-02-2010, 10:20 PM
LotR wood elfs & lothlorien bowmen would be perfect for you.

The Warsmith
10-02-2010, 10:27 PM
LotR wood elfs & lothlorien bowmen would be perfect for you.

Except that LOTR mini's have different scale to fantasy. Fantasy has larger heads, hands, feet and weapons than is realistic.

japehlio
11-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Thats true, Id thought about it, but decided that if Im using fantasy elves in 1 place but not another, it'd be a bit off...

japehlio
19-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Well I finally made my 500 point list, here it is:
Hero:
Noble (139pts): great weapon; reaver bow; heavy armour; shield

Core:
10 Archers (120 pts): hawkeye

Special:
5 Shadow warriors (92): shadow walker
5 Shadow warriors (92): shadow walker

Rare:
Great Eagle (50)

so 493 points in total, not bad amount of firepower it can chuck out, figured il ignore magic for the most part, and use the eagle to slow stuff down...

Musashi
19-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Sorry to semi hijack this thread...

I have just restarted my elves, and am doing the exact same as you! how wierd!

Wood elf archers are amazing for this army (though i would suggest using the hooded heads, the leather bound ones didnt look quite right..

I am also using glade riders as Ellyrion reavers (Anlec Raiders?). again, mixing the hooded heads from the archer sprue workls great (you get 20 hooded and 20 un hooded heads per sprue..)

The archer sprue also works on other models (bolt thrower crew, and with the addition of the spear held in two hands, crew for a tiranoc...)

If your interested my list is here, http://www.astronomican.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17624 , i would be interested in your 1500 pt list.

Any help or advice (gaming, painting or modeling), i have been playing Helves for years, so happy to oblige

Marticus
19-02-2010, 09:16 AM
ahhh high elves... welcome to the light my friend!

japehlio
19-02-2010, 11:16 AM
@musashi, I probably will pick your brains at some point, thanks for the offer. And its good to know I get 20 heads, yay!
I was torn between taking archers, or the sea guard (for a more flexible unit) but I figured that inj the small game, range will be my friend, and archers have better range.
And Mart, you've known I was gonna do Helves for a while now!

Marticus
19-02-2010, 11:27 AM
i did know.. but this is like you coming out with high elves lol.. all talk till now!

the 500pt list seems good, the shadow warriors can outmanouvere most opposition, but as much as i like them i wonder if they are actually worth the points, esp when compared to shades. but then we cant have excellent everythign ;) and still a solid unit for harrassing an enemys war machines, disrupting marchign and so on. as soon as you can stick a bolt thrower in! never leave home without one ;)

japehlio
19-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I could take a unit of shadows out and put a bolt thrower in...
I mean I know they are good, but the whole army relies on hiding and maneoverability...

Musashi
19-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I'd be tempted to drop the reaver bow off the hero, replace with shadow armour (to alow scout set up) puting a nice big Great weapon to give the SW a little more hitty power....

Do you need the eagle to march block if you have two units of shadow warriors?

Drop the eagle, hawkeye and both shadow walkers (they only all add +1 bs to 3 models, is 30 odd points worth it?)

japehlio
09-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Copy and pasted from the month 1 report:

1500 points
Heroes:
Noble (145pts): Shadow Armour; longbow; great weapon; shield
Noble(185): Reaver bow; heavy armour, lance, shield, Great Eagle mount
Mage(185): level 2; Annulian Crystal, biting blade

Core:
10 Archers (135): Banner of Arcane Protection
10 Archers (110)

Special:
10 Shadow Warriors (172) shadow walker
5 Shadow Warriors (92) shadow walker
5 Shadow Warriors (92) shadow walker
7 White Lions (117) guardian
7 White Lions (117) guardian

Rare:
1 Great Eagle (50)
1 Repeater BT (100)

total 1500 points

2250 points

Lord
Alith Anar (245 pts) [no choice really ;)]

Heroes
Noble (145pts): Shadow Armour; longbow; great weapon; shield
Noble(185): Reaver bow; heavy armour, lance, shield, Great Eagle mount
Mage(185): level 2; Annulian Crystal, biting blade

Core:
10 Archers (110)
10 Archers (110)

Special
7 White Lions (160) full command, Banner of Arcane Protection
7 White Lions (154) Guardian,Standard Bearer, Lion Standard
Lion Chariot (140)

Rare:
Great Eagle (50)
Great Eagle (50)
Repeater BT (100)
Repeater BT (100)

Total 2250 pts.

Iv also got one """Hero""" painted up, with Alith Anar.
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh349/japehlio/Elves/IMG_1152.jpg

Pretty pleased with how it turned out, I like the little sword-swap conversion too...

Anyway, tactics and all will follow, goin to bed now...

japehlio
09-03-2010, 02:46 AM
OK, so bed didnt happen lol...

What I have for this log at the mo stands at:
Alith Anar
Wood Elf noble with great weapon and bow
10 Shadow Warriors
18 Glade Guard (10 built, will be my archer regiments, as the hoods and cloaks fits in very well with the Nagarythe theme of the force, I cant imagine woodland ambushers wearing robes...)

So aside from the Eagle, I have 500 points to be painted. w00t!

For the larger lists, I went with White Lions as they would fit in nicely with their "woodland" expertise, and great weapons are too nice to pass up! I think the 1500 point list in particular has a lot of promise, the large amount of scouting archers and the mobility of the Eagles will give most opponents quite a bit of trouble, the mage can potentially shut down a magic phase (if I get drain magic off, and he gets to steal power dice) and by the time a CC opponent gets to my lines then he should A: be whittled down enough to be fended off and B: he has 14 white lions waiting for him. Against a shooty opponents, the shadow warriors, if in cover, should be able to out-shoot most opponents, and the eagles will go a-hunting of their warmachines.

Some armies will give me trouble here. Wood elves for one. High toughness, high armour values will screw me over. Well, make it harder...

Aeth
09-03-2010, 09:05 PM
The conversion looks cool, though I think the Moonbow would benefit from a touch of colour.

japehlio
09-03-2010, 09:46 PM
ach, he isnt finsihed yet! had to get him ttop ready for the tale (so 3 colours) but when I have spare time im totally gonna finishe him off. Sure there's bare metal on the hand!

Aeth
09-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I didn't even see that lol. What colours are you going to go with?

japehlio
11-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Well the moons shall be highlighted gold-->silver, the bow Im not sure yet, probably a dark greyish colour. Need to finish him tho, so not much time will be spent.

On a seperate note, I went out shopping today, found a stockist of Vallejo paints! so got me some of them, and I need to go back into town with about 30-40 and head to a model train shop, because in there they have perfect foliage mats and hedges/flocking materials to really make these look like woodland ambushers...

trust me, I has a plan...

Aeth
11-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Lucky git, I have to order Vellejo stuff online.

Ossai
11-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Lucky git, I have to order Vellejo stuff online.
Likewise...

Though ordering online is not always that bad...

I look forward to what you do with the Elves Jap. I need something worth hitting with my axe :p

japehlio
11-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Depends if you survive the arrows through your precious face fuzz...

japehlio
19-03-2010, 12:19 AM
OKily dokily! Started work on my first core choice, Im gonna take a leaf out of Consadine's book here and aim to paint one colour per day. So far I have this to show...

Rear view, the cloaks are just shadow grey over astro grey, gonna wash them, then drybrush a highlight onto them...
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh349/japehlio/Elves/IMG_0012.jpg

and the front!
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh349/japehlio/Elves/IMG_0011.jpg

Faileas
20-03-2010, 12:13 PM
The white looks very good, is it just layers of skull white?

Hephesto
20-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Very tight colourscheme, cold colours always lead to very stylish minis!

japehlio
20-03-2010, 06:11 PM
@Faileas, its astro grey/codex grey/ Vallejo white (I fething LOVE Vallejo paints now), and thanks! still needs tidying up, gonna do the blues tonight methinks!

@Heph, cheers, I wanted to really avoid having them look like winter wood elves, so that meant really pushing the blue/white of Ulthuan, but at the same time make them darker, cold, Nagaryth-ian. Big billowy pajamas would look out of place on elite scout archers, hence the WE glade guard instead of HE archers...