PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard Troop Camo Guides???

Sardonic Wolf
07-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi folks
I've looked at the Camo GUides on GW website and the results aren't what i was looking for does anyone have any color schemes for desert and urban environments
Thanks in advance

Skarfang
07-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I once did an urban camo scheme on some goliath gangers for necromunda, i painted the cloth codex grey and then added blobs of skull white and chaos black on it.

not sure if thats what GW suggests but i thought it looked quite good :happy:

Sardonic Wolf
07-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks,
No Gw Suggest Blues for urban camo, which i didn't really like the look of once i tried it out

Col.Feren
07-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Do you have The OLD Guard codex? It gave me some nice ideas.

suicidal0
07-02-2010, 09:45 PM
for desert armour i would start with a black background, then put on blobs of say, pale yelows and bleached bone, leaving some black between the different colours, then maybe glue some sand to the helmet, and model small cacti on their backs, for the cloth i would go with a basecoat of tallarn flesh and golden yellow, then work you're way up to bleached bone via bubonic brown.

urban, do the same but replace yellows and bone with grays and metallics, and replace cacti with rocks and pipes.

or small signs that say we are not trying to kill you, it could work

but that's just me because i have absolutely no idea weather it works, i just made it up for i am completely insane

KaKlick
08-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Try for modern camo schemes. DPM could work well as it looks like a paintbrush was taken to it already lol! Just look online and you're bound to find a ton of camo schemes.

Sardonic Wolf
09-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys, no i don't have the old imperial guard codex, but i'm guessing it'll be on ebay for pennies

Arctophylax Faren
09-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I doubt somewhat that an out of production book that is likely sought after by collectors will go for pennies, but that's just my opinion.

In the whole of Australia, there is one on Ebay for $17.

Aeth
09-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Just try googlying some modern armies, that should give you some inspiration.

Sardonic Wolf
09-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I doubt somewhat that an out of production book that is likely sought after by collectors will go for pennies, but that's just my opinion.

In the whole of the UK there is around 10
5 going from 99p - 5 buy it now

Arctophylax Faren
10-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Haha! Well that shows me up :)
People don't know their worth!

Trevor
14-02-2010, 08:16 AM
You could always just do a simple dry brush of your base (in my case Kemri Brown) then paint some small patches Orkshade Green, then trace around the green patches with a fine tip brush and Chaos Black. I tried it out on my leman russ, and now I have a scheme for my entire army. Looks a little Cadian-y but oh well it would work great with other colors, just mix and match.

arceus1018
14-02-2010, 09:48 AM

I think that theres some copies down at Tactics.

Bytemeh2
17-02-2010, 04:56 PM
There are a lot of examples in teh old dex, but no real guide to painting them. And it basically shows all the same camo schemes as the online guide. Maybe a few more, but not really.

I would just practice with three basic colors on a few models to see which you like. I also recommend that you not worry about painting it to scale, as painting camo to scale on gaurd is rough. I tried to do flecktarn to scale on my gaurd and it was way too much work for so-so results. Then again, you may be a better painter than I. =)

Satanaka
17-02-2010, 11:43 PM
for desert armour i would start with a black background, then put on blobs of say, pale yelows and bleached bone, leaving some black between the different colours, then maybe glue some sand to the helmet, and model small cacti on their backs, for the cloth i would go with a basecoat of tallarn flesh and golden yellow, then work you're way up to bleached bone via bubonic brown.

urban, do the same but replace yellows and bone with grays and metallics, and replace cacti with rocks and pipes.

or small signs that say we are not trying to kill you, it could work

but that's just me because i have absolutely no idea weather it works, i just made it up for i am completely insane

I'd use a brown as the base instead. There's no black in most desert camo patterns.

Skringly
18-02-2010, 01:10 AM
But if he is wisshing to prime with a spray, black is more readily avalible than brown.

Satanaka
18-02-2010, 06:51 AM
But if he is wisshing to prime with a spray, black is more readily avalible than brown.

That wasn't my point. He suggested LEAVING some of the Black showing through as part of the desert camo itself.

Let me explain what I meant.

Here's some examples of real world desert camo.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/satanaka4711/Personal/usa06DCU.jpg

US DCU Pattern

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/satanaka4711/Personal/britain04DesertDPM.jpg

British Desert DPM Pattern

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/satanaka4711/Personal/france02DesertDueget.jpg

French Desert Dueget Pattern

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/satanaka4711/Personal/soviet07KLMK.jpg

Soviet KLMK Desert Pattern

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/satanaka4711/Personal/westgerman11DesertTropentarn.jpg

And last but not least, West German Desert Flecktarn Pattern.

Now you'll notice none of those patterns have any black in the pattern. In fact, I only know of 3 world wide that have black in the pattern somewhere, and that includes the failed US "Chocolate Chip" pattern that only worked in the California desert, where it was designed and tested, and not in Iraq or Kuwait.

Black is not a naturally occurring color in a combat zone, whatever the terrain may be. Greys, sure, that's what shadows really are, but not black. Here's an example of Grey appearing in a pattern.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/satanaka4711/Personal/australia02DesertAUSCAM.jpg

Australian Desert AUSCAM