PDA

View Full Version : Trees!

Silent_P
05-02-2010, 08:28 PM
So I'm getting ready to dress up my game board a bit more and I have absolutely no idea on how to go about making realistic trees.

I wandered through my local hobby store and needless to say they want retarded amounts of money for trees. How do you guys like to make your trees?

Silver
05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
We buy them. Not so costly, actually. I think I paid 18 euros for 26 pine trees or so.

Skarfang
05-02-2010, 08:54 PM
in some model shops/railway shops you can pick up trees for 50p-1 each (convert to your yankee currency yourself :grin:), whereas the GW ones are really overpriced, like their entire range really...

alternatively you could get hold of some bamboo skewers or something similar and a nice big bag of lichen and glue big clumps of the stuff to the tops of the skewers, cut the trunk to size and paint brown. Brung them all in a block of polystyrene painted and based to match your gaming table and voila!

Captain Castus
05-02-2010, 08:55 PM
You can find some cheap ones... But they generally look... Well... Cheap!

Try here for homemades - http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page11.html

CC

LAZtheinfamous
05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Oh, I like that linky! Never saw that before. Thanks CK!

Captain Castus
05-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks CK!

Grrrrr! :angry: AGAIN!!

CC

LAZtheinfamous
05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
What? Oh, darn, I mixed up my Captains again. At least with the two of you there is the hard Ka sound at the beginning. Really embarrassing when I add in Captain Tarkus.

Silver
05-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I'd pay money to see an Arena thread featuring Captain Castus, Captain Kellen and Captain Tarkus. ;)

Opheliann
18-02-2010, 06:10 AM
I am not sure how good you are with green stuff, but you can sculpt them yourself. If you are not that good, because I know that I wouldn't be. Check your local toy store for pre-made trees. They will be much cheaper than any thing you'll buy at the GW. The toy store down the street from me sells realistic trees for $2.00 for a pack of ten.

Drakdylon
18-02-2010, 06:34 AM
I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Woodland Scenics yet. They have lots of different sizes shapes and colors of plastic tree trunks and foliage. Basically, you take the plastic trunk (and the branches) and twist it into the shape you want. Then you apply glue and add tree-foliage to it. Works like a charm and looks very nice!

Bytemeh2
18-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah woodland scenics makes great trees. I got a pack of 12 I think for around 10 bucks withthe lichen. Found it at the local model train shop (tons ofthose in Baltimore.) But you should be able to find it in any hobby shop.

You could also get some lichen/foilage and put it on sticks u find outside. Yeah... Sticks are pretty cheap at free and the liken should be about 2 bucks a bag. The only thing is u need to clean off the sticks, hot water and vineger will do. Or dish soap. Basically let it soak a bit and then let them dry for a day. Kills off any mites or other tiny insects and stuff on it.