PDA

View Full Version : Astro Tale of Fantasy Gamers

The Warsmith
01-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Welcome to the fantasy version of a tale of (finally)

I thought it was about time a competition cropped up to force this lazy old 40K community to try its hand at the wonder that is fantasy!

I know not many of you won't have the time, interest or financial means to start a whole new army, but remember that Astro is a big community and a handful of people is all we need. This includes new members who are welcome to participate provided they can postpone the purchase of their first miniatures till when the competition starts.

I think this project has the means to become a major one since it will keep increasing over the months and we can have plenty of time to discuss every aspect of the hobby regarding these armies! Battle reports aren't necessary, since I know you guys can't always get games in, but if you have any, go for it!
I hope this will spur on more people to join!

Cheers and looking forward to your enthusiasm,
- The Warsmith (who didn't shamelessly edit Silver's one)

Astro Tale of Fantasy Gamers

Greetings, fellow Astronites. After a good long time, and a long search for volunteers, it is here! The tale of fantasy gamers!

Competition starts:

8th February 2010

Deadline:

8th August 2010

This time frame of 6 months will allow the participants to start new armies from scratch and build them up to a sizable amount at the end of the competition. Their progress will be measured at the last day of each month within this time frame, and points will be awarded to them respectively in the following categories:

Army expansion: Force Organization Chart per month
February: A 500 point list, a 1500 point list & a 2250 point list (all legal in GW eyes), 1 hero
March: 2 core
April: 1 Hero, 1 core
May: 1 Hero, 1 core or special
June: 1 special and 1 rare or core
July: 1 special or 1 rare
August: 1 lord and one slot of your choice

Participant has expanded his army as required: 6 points
Participant has expanded his army by only 1 of the required slots: 3 points
Participant has expanded his army by 1 or more not-required slots OR a mix of required and not-required slots OR by 3 or more required slots: 1 point
Participant has not expanded his army: 0 points.

Painting:
90% - 100% models painted: 5 points
60% - 89% models painted: 3 points
25% - 59% painted: 1 point
0% - 24% painted: 0 points

Minimum amount of paints on model required to count as "painted": 3 (except february and august)

Furthermore at the end of each month, each participant has to publish a paragraph of at least 500 words as a reflection about the progress of his army during the course of that month. This can include explaining why he bought that particular unit and not some other unit as an expansion to his army this month; what tactics he is going to focus on, why he has given this troop those particular upgrades etc. These "reports" might manage to be published in future releases of the Astro Fantasy magazine, so please mind the punctuation and grammar! :)

Bonus points:

Fiction: +2 points, if the participant has written a piece of fiction (750 words minimum, 1000 words maximum). If 750 words are not reached, 0 points are given. If 1000 words are exceeded, only 1 point is given.

Conversion: If either an hero, a single model-unit/monstrous creature or at least 5 models of any core are significantly (head, arm/weapon, feet/torso) converted (basing doesn't count), +1 point is awarded for each converted core/hero.

Official List of Participants

(in chronological order of signing up):

Name: The Warsmith (I will simply be setting an example, won't actually be alotted points.)
Race: Orcs & Goblins
Army Name: Grukrag's 'Ardnuts

Name: Tall
Race: Vampire Counts
Army Name: The Horde of Countess Bella Lugosi

Name: Ossai
Race: Vampire Counts
Army Name: Host of Drak von Slekk

Name: Aeth
Race: Warriors of chaos
Army Name: Pending

Name: Japhelio
Race: High Elves
Army Name: Arrows of Anar

Name: Vulpus Rex
Army Name: Banagher Aislinn's Warkin

Name: Faileas
Race: Wood Elves
Army Name: Pending

Name: Skarfang
Army Name: Lord Kalek's Brotherhood of Iron

Name: LoganVivisected
Army: Beastmen
Name: Warherd of Cyoeraeth

Name: Honsou
Race: Empire
Army Name: n/a

Remember folks - competition starts in a week, so hopefully enough time for you to grab a hero model and an army book!

The Warsmith, out

Vulpus Rex
01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Right,

Name: Vulpus Rex
Race: Warriors of Chaos
Army Name: Banagher Aislinn's Warkin

Sign me up Warsmith.

Hephesto
01-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Excellent stuff guys, best of luck to everybody who's joining in on the fun. About time we saw some more WHFB minis!

Faileas
01-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Hi just a quick wee question, would the armies be required to have reached to full 2250 by the end of the tale? or is it fine to have just the possible 2250 army list, as long as you do your best to complete the monthly goals?

The Warsmith
01-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Nah, reaches whatever points it would total by august, and you can then, at the end, make up a list of whatever your army has in it.

Faileas
01-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Excellent, May as well count me in too then, was planning on collecting some woodelves so may as well start into my forth WFB army. Gives me a excuse to spend more cash on warhammer and helps the fantasy side of the site too...win win.

Army: Woodelves
Name (pending....something woody and helping Bretonnians maybe)

Ossai
01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Excellent, May as well count me in too then, was planning on collecting some woodelves so may as well start into my forth WFB army. Gives me a excuse to spend more cash on warhammer and helps the fantasy side of the site too...win win.

Army: Woodelves
Name (pending....something woody and helping Bretonnians maybe)
Bah, and you call yourself a dwarf ;)

Good to have you onboard mate.

Faileas
01-02-2010, 09:31 PM
*grins* could have been worst I could have picked the ones that started the war!

The Warsmith
01-02-2010, 09:39 PM
We now have our very own subforum!

I'll be accepting people up until the 8th, when it's the beginning, and you cna make you own threads on 8th of march for feb's report.

Aeth
01-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Now I just need a name, something Slaaneshy :happy:

Captain Castus
01-02-2010, 09:48 PM
How about... Agdistis (http://www.oedilf.com/db/Lim.php?Word=Agdistis)?

CC

Hephesto
01-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I really do wish I had a better understanding of WHFB and time to join in on this one. Give me a day or two, I may have an idea ;)

Skarfang
01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Check that PM inbox Warsmith ;)

Skarfang's in for another WHFB Tale of Gamers series! Bring on all those Warriors of Chaos I'll be painting... :p

The Warsmith
01-02-2010, 10:02 PM
I really do wish I had a better understanding of WHFB and time to join in on this one. Give me a day or two, I may have an idea ;)

Hey man, drop me a PM if you want some simple questions answered. All you really need for this tale is a grasp of the fantasy force chart and an army book.

Tall
01-02-2010, 10:08 PM
*grins* could have been worst I could have picked the ones that started the war!

Then you would have been disowned completely......................:grin:

Ossai
01-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Unless you mean Dark Elves then you did ;)

Wood elves were high elves that fled to the forset rather than going back to Ulthuan :silly:

Aeth
01-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Hey man, drop me a PM if you want some simple questions answered. All you really need for this tale is a grasp of the fantasy force chart and an army book.

And as the chart is in the army books then for 15 you're laughing Heph. All you have to do now is pick an army :)

As for the war, the Druchii helped instigate it by attacking the Dwarves dressed as High Elves. But it was the Court of the false Phoenix King that shaved the face fuzz off a Dawii emissary starting the War of The Beard.

Sardonic Wolf
01-02-2010, 11:21 PM
i'd like to say count me in, But money wise erm there is none i doubt i'd make april, But i'll look for for a few bits to flog on ebay and see where we are then,

The Warsmith
02-02-2010, 12:00 AM
i'd like to say count me in, But money wise erm there is none i doubt i'd make april, But i'll look for for a few bits to flog on ebay and see where we are then,

Hey, you have a week, so no fretting!

LoganVivisected
03-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Name: LoganVivisected
Army: Beastmen
Name: Warherd of Cyoeraeth

Musashi
03-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Im watcing this with interest...

Aeth
03-02-2010, 09:27 PM
How about joining in with even more interest? ;)

Tall
03-02-2010, 10:37 PM
How and where are we putting our army lists?

Vulpus Rex
03-02-2010, 11:03 PM
I think we can start our own logs on the 8th, once all of the entries are in.

japehlio
04-02-2010, 02:10 AM
Hrmm, Im just wondering. I only want to make a 1k list of Elves, dont really have any intention of going higher with them (at this point), do you reckon that will be a big problem? Also, how about the fact that HE can take 1 less core choice, and extra specials (seeing how HE core are poo compared to the rest of the unit choices, I only want 1 unit of archers...)

The Warsmith
04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
A: You start your WIP's on the 8th, and on the 8th of March you submit a full account of what you've done and I alot points
B: It doesn't matter, the lists are to show what you could possibly make, you won't neccesarily fill them out.
C: High Elves can have 1 special instead of a core at any time the player wishes to swap it.

japehlio
04-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Oky dokily then, glad thats sorted!

Honsou
28-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Sign me up for Empire :grin:

The Warsmith
28-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Sign me up for Empire :grin:

Fine, but you've got over a week for three lists and a hero. Your a big boy, so no special treatment :grin:

Any particular name for your army?

Honsou
28-02-2010, 08:39 PM
I reckon I can pull it off ;) No name as of yet, the whole thing is a work in progress :grin:

Vulpus Rex
28-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Good to see this is still attracting interest 3 weeks after it started :D

Honsou
28-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Good to see this is still attracting interest 3 weeks after it started :D

Well I've been away ;)