PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitor

Honsou
24-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I have recently been flicking through the various Inquisitor source-books, for fluff-purposes, and I have to say that I am sorely tempted by the game itself. That said, despite having given the rules and game system a cursory looking-over, I still know very little about it, nor the gaming community that goes along with it.

My question, then, is two-fold: first, have we any astronites into the Inquisitor game; secondly what can they tell me about Inquisitor?

Inquisitor023
24-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm in the middle of an RPG on MSN using Dark Heresy characters. It's more text drive than dice, but it's great fun.

Pherion
24-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Inquisitor is a fantastic game! The only major problem with it is the number of correct scale models available. Me and some friends adapted the game for the 40k scale so we would have a larger variety of minis to work with. But! That's really the only major flaw with the game.

In terms of mechanics, it can seem complex at first, but once you get it down, it's stunningly simple. The amount of realism that you get from the game too is fantastic.

I'd absolutely suggest you try it out at least once and see if you like it. I think you will.

Oh, and make sure to read the FAQs and updates, there are a few typos/glitches that make the game broken if you don't fix them.

Skringly
24-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I have a Genestealer. It goes Blargh! Then my friends Commisar with a Shotgun blows it to bits.

FUN!

Honsou
25-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I sense a certain amount of sarcasm there Skringly? ;) Pherion- what scale is it on, and what sort of difficulty/availability is there in terms of convertible materials? In itself I have no issue with conversion, so :p

What's the player base like?

Kaled
25-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Inquisitior is a fantastic game, my favourite GW game in fact. I've been playing for some years now and have put together a collection of about 70-80 54mm characters. The miniatures are 54mm, about twice the size of 40k models, and personally I far prefer playing at that scale; it has distinct advantages over playing at 28mm - many of which are not apparent until you've tried it. For a start characters feel more like real people than the faceless little grunts we're all used to killing in droves in games of 40k, which is perfect for a narrative, character-driven game like Inquisitor.

I know a lot of people think that it's not worth playing at 54mm as there aren't many models in the GW range, but there are loads of other companies that make fantastic 54mm models that work perfectly for Inquisitor with only minor conversion work (I put together a bit of a list here (http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=22.0)). Also, the heroic scale of the 40k range means that loads of 28mm parts work perfectly at the larger scale. If you have a look through my Photobucket (http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t286/kaled100/) site or at some of the threads in the Painting & Modelling forum (http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=5.0) over at the Conclave and you'll see that it's possible to build an almost infinite variety of characters - even if you restrict yourself to GW models, then there are still plenty of options (especially if you're happy to do some conversion work). Also, you'll find that the imposing proportions of GWs range of terrain means that almost all of it works perfectly at the larger scale, so you don't have the problem of needing to build all new terrain.

As for players, some/many/most tend to congregate over at The Conclave (http://www.the-conclave.co.uk/forum/index.php) - we have a list of players and their locations in one of the sticky threads so there's a fair chance you'll be able to find someone to play. I don't know if you're in the UK, but we organise regular events at Warhammer World in Nottingham which people travel from all over the country to attend. I'm running the next one, the Spring Conclave, in April and new players are always welcome.

Finally, I wrote an article (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=465) on the game for new players which may be of use to you, but if you have any more questions then I'll do my best to answer them.

Regards,
Dave

Pherion
25-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Great post Kaled! I'd have to agree with you that inquisitor is one of the best GW games. I really do wish there were more people around my store that played.

I never looked around for differnt ranges to use at 54mil. I can't pull up your links at work (stupid firewalls), but I'll certainly be checking them out once I get home.

You mentioned that the narative is enhanced by the larger scale of miniature, and I most certainly agree. I'd like to know though what the other advantages to 54mil you were refering to.

Cheers,
Pherion

Kaled
25-01-2010, 09:38 PM
You mentioned that the narative is enhanced by the larger scale of miniature, and I most certainly agree. I'd like to know though what the other advantages to 54mil you were refering to.Sure, I don't have long to write this but I can expand on a couple of points; and some of these are pretty subjective. Firstly I think the larger models just look more impressive - for example, everyone has seen a 28mm Stormtrooper, but a 54mm one is always more impressive (IMHO) simply by virtue of all the work that must have gone into converting him. It's probably because I'm a modeller, rather than a gamer, at heart and so love the opportunities and challenges offered by working at 54mm. Before starting Inquisitor, my conversions were mainly simple head and weapon swaps, but I've learned loads from working at the larger scale as a lot of things easier to try as everything is that bit bigger. Now I'm happy to sculpt body parts and even whole models pretty much from scratch if I can't find what I need elsewhere.

There's also the advantage, well I see it as one anyway, that it's not easy to simply replicate 40k troop types at 54mm which forces people to think out of the box when creating characters and so you get more interesting character archetypes. Inquisitor represents the shadowy battle for the Emperor's soul; it's not really the place for warbands made up of Fire Warriors, Marines, Necrons, Tyranids etc. That's not to say you can't use such characters, but I think it's more interesting to look at things we wouldn't usually see in games of 40k such as Tau 'secret agents', Chapter serfs, Dragon-worshipping AdMech, 'Stealer cults and so on.

The game also feels very different at 54mm - it's obvious you're playing something different and that helps put you in the right frame of mind. It's very easy, especially for people who are more used to playing 40k to get back in the 40k frame of mind where it's all about balanced sides attempting to kill each other - which is not really the Inquisitor ethos. Also, newcomers who play Inquisitor at 28mm are often tempted to use too many characters and too large a board, because otherwise the table looks too 'empty' - they then find that the game runs slowly and they tend to lose interest declaring that the game is 'broken' - 54mm is one way around this. That's not to say there's necessarily anything wrong with playing at 28mm - I do have an Inq28 warband, but I find 54mm far more satisfying.

There are probably more, but I'm out of time for now...

Pherion
25-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Great comments :-P

I agree with you on all points. The only reason me and my friends play at 28mil is becasue we don't have enough time to really convert up the variety of characters we want to use at 54mil. That said, we typicaly keep it small, no more than three or four characters per side, usualy less. And the board is ususaly a 4x4 or slightly larger. Just enough to give you a turn or two of sneaking and shooting before you start pounding it out with each other :-P

We also always make sure there's some form of mission going on. We never play with just an all out brawl going on. Both sides always have an objective.

Cheers, Wish you didn't live across the lake!
Pherion

Kaled
26-01-2010, 06:22 AM
And the board is ususaly a 4x4 or slightly larger.What scale do you use when playing at 28mm? 1 yard = 1/2" or 1 yard = 1cm? (They're the most common choices for Inq28 in my experience.) I use a board that size when playing at 54mm, so you should be able to get away with an even smaller board at 28mm - 3'x3' or even 2'x2' if you wanted.

Pherion
26-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Honestly I can't recall. I'm not the one who pounded out the math for it LOL. I'll have to check and get back to you. I seem to want to say 1/2 in per yard, but I'm not certain.

There were quite a few modifications last time we played... For instance, we replaced the precentiles with D20s. Every precentile in the game is a multiple of 5%, making the transition to a single D20 very very easy and effective. Makes the game alot quicker to play. You can roll 5d20 at once.. you can't roll 5 precentiles unless you've got 5d100 ... LOL

Kaled
26-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Every precentile in the game is a multiple of 5%, making the transition to a single D20 very very easy and effective.Surely that only works if you keep all your characteristics as multiples of 5 (and even then there are a few modifiers etc that mean you don't end up with multiples of 5 - although I guess you could round up/down). Personally I prefer to avoid using all multiples of 5 to take full advantage of the D100 system - but I guess your system would speed things up without too much of a loss of detail.