PDA

View Full Version : Resin - Weight?

Pherion
16-01-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm looking to pick up a few of these (second pic) (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/dreadwep.htm) for use on Dreadnaughts. What I need to know is how does the weight of resin compare to plastic. I'll be magnetizing the parts, but I have found that if there's any pewter involved, the magnet cant hold it steady and it'll slip down (pointing downwards). I'm only worried that resin might be too heavy to be held in place by a magnet.

Ideas?

NathanS
16-01-2010, 04:05 PM
In my experience with resin it is comparable to to plastics it is really light weight.

Tallarn
16-01-2010, 04:18 PM
from what I have read online, the arms should hold fine with magnets :happy:

Hephesto
16-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I have to agree with the guys above. Most of FW's smaller items are about the same weight as their plastic equivalent. If it does turn out to be too heavy you could always using pinning to make it interchangable.

Honsou
16-01-2010, 09:41 PM
In my experience, you shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever with resin: it is a very lightweight substance. The only time you might have an issue is if the part is particularly directionally heavy- eg lopsided, top heavy and so on. I don't think, though, it'll be an issue if yo magnetize the arm in question.

Pherion
18-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Thanks everyone! Just need to wait for payment from my comission then and I'll be heading off to forge world! Probably gonna pick up this (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/hrex314.htm) guy too... <drule>

Inquisitor023
18-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Probably gonna pick up this (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/hrex314.htm) guy too... <drule>

Wants...

Wants very, very much.

Captain Castus
18-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Wants...

Wants very, very much.

He is awesome, isn't he?

And the detail on those resin casts makes them a dream to paint...

Which reminds me... I have an Ultramarine Venerable Dreadnought to pay some attention to... *scurries off*

CC

Scoppio
18-01-2010, 08:04 PM
my resin cast drop pods weights alot more then a common drop pod!

Honsou
19-01-2010, 02:37 AM
my resin cast drop pods weights alot more then a common drop pod!

How much more volume is there though? With the bigger casts, there's alot more "room" for weight, so to speak...

Scoppio
19-01-2010, 04:17 AM
370g against less then 100g ;)

Skringly
19-01-2010, 09:34 PM
And the detail on those resin casts makes them a dream to paint...

CC

Shame the casting quality isn't that good.

Pherion
19-01-2010, 09:40 PM
It's not that bad. You just have to clean it up a bit.

Skringly
19-01-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes...because a DKoK Guardsman with a leg that is just a blob of resin and a Laser Destroyer where the front pannel has only half formed just needs to be cleaned up a bit...

Scoppio
19-01-2010, 11:43 PM
in THAT case you just have to send an e-mail about how bad the kit is.

Honsou
20-01-2010, 02:14 AM
in THAT case you just have to send an e-mail about how bad the kit is.

And then sit back until the new one arrives. Usually they're pretty good about this stuff. Take a pic, send it with an email and you should be good.

Drakdylon
20-01-2010, 11:57 PM
And then sit back until the new one arrives. Usually they're pretty good about this stuff. Take a pic, send it with an email and you should be good.

That implies that waiting three months for your replacement part is "good"...

Yah, Forgeworld stuff may look amazing, but its really a hit-or-miss thing, and you can get AoBR Dreadnought arms (which are multimeltas, just like you want) off of Ebay for a miniscule price. Whereas Forgeworld is expensive, takes forever to ship, and is cast in resin.

Not that Forgeworld isn't great for other stuff. But for multimelta dread arms, I would say go with Ebay.

Honsou
21-01-2010, 12:07 AM
That implies that waiting three months for your replacement part is "good"... Well, no, but then again I've never really had any problems with Forgeworld. Fact is, you can get low grade models replaced free of charge, so it is not the end of the world. Annoying, yes, but alot better than them simply telling you that you'll have to live with it, or buy a new one.

And, let's be honest, if you're buying the multi-melta from FW at this point, then you really deserve to get bad ones :grin:

Pherion
21-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Yah, Forgeworld stuff may look amazing, but its really a hit-or-miss thing, and you can get AoBR Dreadnought arms (which are multimeltas, just like you want) off of Ebay for a miniscule price. Whereas Forgeworld is expensive, takes forever to ship, and is cast in resin.

I challenge you to find a single individual multi-melta arm on Ebay. Trust me, I've been looking for months, and all they sell is the whole AoRB Dreadnaught. And its around $15. Without getting any other options. I'm of the opinion that the Forgeworld multi-melta is worth it since I'd need to buy a regular dreadnaught to get the other options anyway!

Scoppio
21-01-2010, 06:13 PM
buy not from e-bay but from bitz sellers, dakka-dakka has a BIG list of those and there are somes that sells EVERYTHING, not like the Bitzbox that has only 5 pieces from each army and the others are out of stock.

Honsou
21-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I challenge you to find a single individual multi-melta arm on Ebay. Bitzbox, bitzbarn, Rumble and so on. Ebay is only worth it if you need unique models, or cheap deals on badly painted stuff to strip and re-do.

Pherion
21-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Bitsbox doesn't have it.
I can't get into bitsbarn at work.
Not a clue what Rumble is.

If you can find the AoBR multi-melta dreadnaught arm on any of the bits sites, please let me know. I scoured them for weeks hoping it would pop up by itself, but again, most of them sell the dreadnaught as one peice, and don't break off the arms.

You have to remember that even the bits sites are out to make a profit. And - who's gonna buy an AoBR dreadnaught body, when it's all but useless without the AoBR arms? Remember, they fit together differntly than the standard Dreadnaught arms. I had to drill them to be interchangeable with my normal dreadnaught, and even that isn't the best fit.

Honsou
21-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Then go on at home? :p Or maybe give the trade forum here a shot. You could even build it yourself, it is laughable easy :P

Artsoldier35
21-01-2010, 07:27 PM
I would by the body if it was cheap enough as I can convert them into Killa Kans or even a Deff Dread. WAAAGH!

Honsou
21-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I would by the body if it was cheap enough as I can convert them into Killa Kans or even a Deff Dread. WAAAGH!

Mostly they come in at about fifteen dollars, you make the call...