PDA

View Full Version : Base Difficulties

LAZtheinfamous
11-01-2010, 04:03 AM
I am running into difficulty with my bases. I haven't been doing bases for very long, because I'm not a big fan of them. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but would love to have some input on it.

From what I can tell is there is two different ways of doing them, but the technique is the same regardless. It's about the order you do them in.

Version A;
1. Assemble and glue together model and glue to base.
2. Apply white glue.
3. Dip into base material.
4. Allow to dry.
5. Prime all.
6. Paint!

Problem: If the base material gets on the model itself, I have to get it off, which occasionally will cause a portion of the base material to come off the base as well. After that though, it seems to be fine.

Version B:
1. Apply white glue to base
2. Dip into base material.
3. Allow to dry.
4. Assemble and glue model together.
5. Glue to prebased base.
6. Prime
7. Paint!

Problem: The hold to the base isn't as strong and the model comes off easier. This works fine on slotta bases, since they are glue into the base instead of on top of the base.

Which method do you use, and am I missing something?

Honsou
11-01-2010, 04:07 AM
I believe you've got it there mate. Personally, I use option A because of the stronger bond, and it seems to be easier to pull off. That said, I always have trouble with the stuff coming off, so to my knowledge there's not much to be done about it- you might try applying a thine layer of watered down pva glue OVER the basing material in option A, after it's dried, to seal it in.

grimdisco
11-01-2010, 04:35 AM
If you use option B .scoring the base before you apply the white glue, will add strength to the bond.
I would use option A and just glue a lil bit of plastic to the feet of the mini. That will do 2 things (1) it will give you a strong bond to the base (2) it will make the mini look like it is on top of the dirt and not buried in it and allow you to clean off any stuff that gets on the mini before the white glue is dry ( making it easer to do.)

also here is a tutorial I did a while back. Hope this helps.
http://z11.invisionfree.com/THE_PHALANX/index.php?showtopic=470

Consadine
11-01-2010, 07:18 AM
For Option A, do what grimdisco suggested.

For Option B, you'd have to do something silly like (securely, with pin vice and superglue) pegs or wire from the bottom of your mini's feet through the base in order for it to stay.

I have heard of folks using super glue to, well, glue sand and the like to their bases, citing quicker drying time and the basing material stays on longer. Just a thought.

Hephesto
11-01-2010, 09:36 AM
I usually go with version A, but in a slightly different approach:
1. Assemble and glue together model and glue to base.
2. Apply white glue.
3. Dip into base material.
4. Allow to dry. (and clean off materials where they do not belong)
4b. Add another watered down coat of white glue
5. Prime all.
6. Paint!

The extra coat really does wonders for me, though this may be because I quite commonly use rougher and heavier basing materials like gravel and peddles.

Pherion
11-01-2010, 12:48 PM
For my deathwatch, I'm doing scenic bases that have to be done separately from the miniature. For these I'm doing what Cons said. I've drilled a hole into the foot of the model, and placed a pin. The pin serves to help hold the mini (with a pin vice) for painting, and also to secure it to the base once its completed.

Teh_Frm4terer
11-01-2010, 01:31 PM
I use option B, but I mark out where the feet of the model are going to go, and then base around it. After that I add detail and niceties to the base, followed by plastic glueing the feet to the base, and BAM... awesome model :p ...

Skringly
11-01-2010, 04:21 PM
This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeIfwQnmCC0) what I do.

Silent_P
13-01-2010, 02:34 AM
I'll assemble my model and then glue him to his base. Afterward I paint his boots whatever color they need to be. Then I'll use an old brush to smear white glue on the base, being careful to avoid his boots. I then dip the base into the green flock and gently blow off any excess.