PDA

View Full Version : Necromunda-What's it all about?

Inquisitor023
06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Some of you may remember I did a thread like this for Mord a while back. I will say now, it's a pipe dream, still something I'd like to do, but a pipe dream none-the-less.

Now, my attention is drawn to Necromunda, (What can I say? I get the 'God, that seems interesting' syndrome often, especially with older games,) and I know I'm not the only one.

Few questions:

1) How is it played?

2) Does it have the same customization as Mord? I know you could go and name every single henchman and give it a book worth of fluff in Mord, or leave them faceless no-bodies if you wanted. I loved that.

3) What is the setting? I know Mord was some corrupted City-Wide-Treasure-Hunt for most races.

4) What do you play as? Both races, and orginization. I know in Mord it was Witch Hunters, Sisters of Sigmar, Mercs, Orcs, Undead etc etc and they were all
Warbands. What is it in Necromunda?

Right, that's all I have for now. I'm sure others may have questions, so feel free to knock them up.

-Ging

Nomad
06-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Necromunda is the 40K version of Mordheim. Played with small groups of models, it is based in a hive on the world of Necromunda with various gangs fighting for control of territories within the hive.

It is a really fun game. I got it in the boxed set many years ago, when it was first released. I haven't got it anymore, and am constantly disappointed by this fact.

The Rules (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat1290025&categoryId=1100014&section=&aId=5300010) etc are free PDF downloads from GW>

sarthonas
06-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Interestingly, Necromunda is one of the things that finally tipped me into starting a full-on 40k army. My friends (who all already played 40k and had armies) had a Necromunda League going for a while. One even created a C# program to build gangs.

I'm attempting to locate the weblink with all the reference materials, but the only place I can find them right now is the Google group we used to track things. I will update as soon as I find the info again.

Off the cuff (it's been a while, so I might have details wrong)...

1) It's basically like 40k. Move phase, Shooting phase, Close Combat phase. The big difference being instead of units, you have single characters that can do their own thing.

2) Having not played Mord, I can't say how close it is, but you can customize each character pretty well. To start, you pick a type: Leader/Heavy/Ganger/Juve, who have standard stat lines (basically a 40k stat line), and you can equip them. Then as they level, you get to roll on advancement tables, and so each one takes on their own route of progression. The randomness can be a little annoying, especially if you plan a guy to be close combatty and then he gets a bunch of shooting skills.

3) You're in the Underhive, the sick, chemically, wasteland beneath the "civilized" spires. It's pretty awful...in a great way. :grin: Every game is a particular scenario. The core book has about a half dozen as I recall, but there are some great supplements out there with others.

4) You play as a gang from one of the gang houses. You're trying to beat up other gangs for money and fame and power. Names and what they're good at elude me. I only recall Goliath as being big burly dudes (that's what I played). Big swords/axes/etc, big guns. Escher were female gangers as I recall...good at close combat. There are four others as I recall. I've also seen rules for Spire Hunters, which are basically rich kids from uphive who come down in power armor to kill gangers for reputation. And I've seen Genestealer cult rules, which are neat an interesting, but never played.

As soon as I track down links, I will post them. It's a good time, IMHO. Less of an initial investment than 40k or FB to get started, so it's a great way to tease someone into miniature wargaming.

Edit: Knew it was somewhere out there: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=cat1290323&categoryId=1100011&aId=5300010

Edit 2: Man, I just reread that, and apparently "as I recall" is my new crutch phrase. :shocked:

Nomad
06-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Sarthonus, sorry you spent the time searching, I had already linked to the GW stuff...;)

Inquisitor023
06-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Man, this sounds awesome. How big are Gangs normally?

Nomad
06-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Original set available on EBay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/NECROMUNDA-ORIGINAL-BOX-SET-WARHAMMER-40K-COMPLETE_W0QQitemZ310191803995QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU K_Toys_Wargames_RL?hash=item4838df4e5b)

Hephesto
06-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Necromunda is an awesome game indeed, kind of like Mordheim gone scifi. Quite a bunch of different game mechanics thrown in there and the setting focuses entirely on human / mutants, but it has the same fun factor as Mordheim!

Nomad
06-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Man, this sounds awesome. How big are Gangs normally?

Gangs are a minimum of 3 figs. You have to pay for upkeep etc, so you can't get to big. Recruiting new gangers is possible, so don't go too big to start out.

Read the rules and the gang descriptions from GW for a better understanding.

Inquisitor023
06-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I am, but posted that as I went for dinner. I more than likely won't play it (There isn't many players as far as I know,) and therefore would collect a gang for the fun of it! I'd probably use IG models.

Nomad
06-01-2010, 07:18 PM
I am, but posted that as I went for dinner. I more than likely won't play it (There isn't many players as far as I know,) and therefore would collect a gang for the fun of it! I'd probably use IG models.

Collect a gang of the official models. They are heaps cooler and look more gritty than the guard. You'd be surprised how many people play or would play if they could hook up with other players. Put up a notice at your local games shops and you'll find players aplenty. Otherwise, introduce your 40K mates to it, they'll be hooked in no time. With the rule book being available for no more cost than a download, it isn't hard to get people into it. There isn't the initial cost of rulebooks and codex to put you behind the eight-ball to start out. Use your 40K models to playtest the game to see if you enjoy it and as you collect and build your gang.

Inquisitor023
06-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Hmm, you are right, those are nice. Too bad Adders' store doesn't sell them.

(Adders, if you read this, if you'd stock Necromunda models, I'd buy. Just saying.)

I might be able to convince one person to take it up. Who knows? Maybe Japhelio (Sp?) plays it, I know he lives near(ish) to me and he offered to play Mord with me.

Ah well, jump those hurdles when I come to them.

sarthonas
06-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Sarthonus, sorry you spent the time searching, I had already linked to the GW stuff...;)

Heh, no worries, it was fun travelling down Nostalgia Lane for a bit. :happy:

Inquisitor023
06-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Also, what Houses are you guys a fan of? I've been looking at them and am not racking my brain to pick, so I thought, 'Hell, let's see what the others use and why.'

Hephesto
06-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Well they all have their ups and downs. Personally I've always enjoyed the more different groups:
- Ratskins, the original, nomadic inhabitants of the planet's wastes
- Arbites Enforces, riot police coming through
- Spyrer, time to pass a right of initiation by bagging me some lowly hivedwellers ;)
- Pit Slaves

For actual, normal gangs I go for the maddies:
- Redemptionists, burn it....with fire. The minis are superb as well:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1252069_99110599159_NecroRedemptionistGangMain_87 3x627.jpg

- Scavvies, conversion heaven!

sarthonas
06-01-2010, 08:07 PM
I've only ever played Goliaths, because sometimes I like to step loudly and carry a really big stick(tm), but also enjoyed the feel of the Spyrers when I played against them. I never got a chance to try out other gang ideas I had, and my circle is so invested in 40k right now, it'd probably be very hard to get them back to Necromunda.

The skill tables will give you a good feel for how each house plays (if you haven't already checked those out). That can be a big help for the choice of gang you'd like to build.

Inquisitor023
06-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I like the look of Orlocks. Going to look at equipment now.

Inquisitor Alex
06-01-2010, 11:24 PM
I built an epic orlock gang, still have em :) sixteen or seventeen guys, and I managed the upkeep for our whole campaign :)
Had eschers (now chaos guard), delaques (converted to valhallans) and a set of plastic goliaths I converted into slaanesh fb guys. My cawdor models made excellent inquisitorial guardsmen too :)

Nomad
07-01-2010, 01:52 AM
I always liked the Ratty boys, Escher and Scavvies.

Ossai
07-01-2010, 02:53 AM
I always wanted to go the Enforcers. They were just badass.

Inquisitor023
10-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I'll tell you one thing. Orlock looks awesome IMO.

I'll tell you another thing. There is way too much skin, one of the many things I can't do.

Ossai
10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
It is the same with most gangs (except the Enforcers, and the technology one)

Most gangs cannot afford proper armour or clothes.

Inquisitor023
10-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I know, it's depressing and almost putting me off the models.

LAZtheinfamous
10-01-2010, 11:52 PM
I love Necromunda, its the game that got me into the hobby. Regardless of what gang you choose, using the IG command sprues will yield a fairly good coherent look on the cheap(er). Especially the Catachan one, which is almost like a Goliath gang.

My only two problems with it are;

1. No Xenos. None. Nada, zip, zero, zilch. Which makes since it was supposed to be about gangs not interracial things.
2. The rules are VERY old. First or second edition 40K, if I remember correctly. So some of the weapons have oddities that they normally don't. For instance multiple settings on a plasma weapon or that chainswords are actually cool.

VolatilSpam
06-02-2010, 02:34 AM
There are ways to have xenos in your Necromunda game; just not very many. I know there are Genestealer Cult rules somewhere, and I also happen to know that Gorkamorka translates fairly well into Necromunda. Multiply Teef costs by 10 and you've got basically a direct analog to points costs in Necro. Give Orks access to certain kinds of dakka - heavy stubbers, autoguns, shotguns, and flamers come to mind - and they fit right in in the Underhive.