PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Greenstuffing expert

mclovin95
03-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Alright, im thinking about doing a little more with my modeling as to just buying the models and slapping one or two coats of paint on, and i love to convert most of all. But the sad thing is, my green stuffing skills are horendous, remeber my first vulkan he'stan model(i belive i have a picture in my profile)it looked flippin sweet and the greenstuff cape was decent but heres the catch: i only used the green looking side of the GW green stuff i was sent and what happened? it stay mushy and wettish(is that a word?) and eventually fell spart and i belive i have the remaining husk somewhere in my room. But anyway i was wondering if someone could show me how to properly cut/mold it:confused:.

Consadine
03-01-2010, 08:49 PM
GreenStuff comes in either a ribbon or in tubes. What you typically get is the ribbon, which is has both a blue and yellow part... which you need to mix. Helpful links:

-Deals with ratios of blue to yellow. (http://www.matakishi.com/bmblesson1.htm)
-List of GS tips (http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2009/07/working-with-greenstuff-how-to.html)
-Some GS tutorials at B&C (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=129005&hl=Sculpting++crest)

Another tip: lots of folks use water for their tools and such, but I've found that chapstick is tons better.

Ossai
03-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Another tip: lots of folks use water for their tools and such, but I've found that chapstick is tons better.
Ooh, I have one of them (mm, strawberry) perhaps I will have to give that a try instead of water.

mclovin95
03-01-2010, 09:02 PM
chapstick is tons better.

Wait, i was supposed to use a tool? And i was supposed to lubricate it?:confused: I just tore it with my hands....

Hephesto
03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Alright, the quick basics:
- yellow and blue need to be mixed (non-GW stuff is better is it usually comes with seperate rolls, so less loss of putty)
- mix your desired combination (see Consadine's link for some idea on ratios)
- apply the GS in on the general area or create the general shape
- let it dry for a bit (15-20 works fine) and continue detailing (this gives you a slightly more resilient material to work with)
- put leftover mixed green stuff in your freezer (if will freeze and will remain usable for 1-2 days!)

Anything else you need to know, just ask away!
-

Consadine
03-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Wait, i was supposed to use a tool? And i was supposed to lubricate it?:confused: I just tore it with my hands....

Well, you can tear it with your hands, but a little goes a long way (even if doing capes and such, you want to build in layers, letting each layer cure before going on) so you can use a sculpting tool to get the right amounts. It's easy to mix it with your fingers, and you'll need a tool to shape the GS (this prevents fingerprints from showing up on the GS).

That help?

Gagoc The Ancient
03-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Try wetting the greenstuff as you mix it, I've found that this makes it more malleable and easier to work with especially when you're using it to fill gaps..
Tools-wise, there's the GW one, but wax sculpting tools will do just as well (if not better) and tend to be cheaper.

Greenstuff is good for creating small fiddly details, but not for hard edges and wide surfaces. For bigger jobs you either use something like Greystuff or Milliput, or you can mix the greenstuff with these. But that might be a little advanced for you at the moment.

mclovin95
03-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Try wetting the greenstuff as you mix it, I've found that this makes it more malleable and easier to work with especially when you're using it to fill gaps..
Tools-wise, there's the GW one, but wax sculpting tools will do just as well (if not better) and tend to be cheaper.

Greenstuff is good for creating small fiddly details, but not for hard edges and wide surfaces. For bigger jobs you either use something like Greystuff or Milliput, or you can mix the greenstuff with these. But that might be a little advanced for you at the moment.

Alright tool wise: before i used my hands i made the bad mistake of using a butter knife...but what of an exacto knife? ive heard of people working wonders with it. where might i be able to pick one up?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
03-01-2010, 10:15 PM
This is an exacto:

http://afod.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/xacto.jpg

It's a sharp tool mind you. ;) You could get it from hobby stores. GW sells them with a rather nice handle.

Ossai
03-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Here (http://www.hobbyplace.com/tools/xacsets.php) is one potential site.

mclovin95
03-01-2010, 10:27 PM
This is an exacto:

http://afod.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/xacto.jpg

It's a sharp tool mind you. ;) You could get it from hobby stores. GW sells them with a rather nice handle.

OOO ive seen one of those before...ummm..how do i put this, ive seen that before because this emo girl at my old school sorta.., and my dad had to get stiches on his finger because he was messing with one at a hardware store(so maybe i can check there too).anyway i think might be able to get one from this store near my dad's buisness.

EDIT: apparently, in NY state you must be 18 years or older to buy one since it is considered a weapon(15 here)...god danm crime *grumbles*

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
03-01-2010, 10:33 PM
This is an exacto:

It's a sharp tool mind you. ;)

No joke. If you're not doing too much sculpting-wise, it's great, but it'll go right through your foot if dropped from waist-high. Assuming you keep a fresh blade in it, which is recommended.

For the more ambitious projects, you might want to invest in a set of quality sculpting tools. There's more kinds of sculpting tool in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy, so shop around.

Also, Vaseline makes a fantastic lubricant. Take that as you will. I sometimes use water, though, and always mix more blue than yellow. Smoother, faster-drying product guaranteed.

Hephesto
03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
One of my favorites tools, ye olde mini cocktail sticks:

http://www.lawsonshop.co.uk/prodimages/115601.jpg

mclovin95
03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Also, Vaseline makes a fantastic lubricant..

Thats what she said :p (could'nt help myself...now..to hide somewhere....before i get hit with a rep dock...)

I never thought of using lubricant...then again i never thought of using a tool.

Hephesto
03-01-2010, 10:57 PM
I never thought of using lubricant...then again i never thought of using a tool.

I know there's a joke in there somewhere :grin:

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
03-01-2010, 10:58 PM

Walked right into that one, he did. It's almost poetic.

mclovin95
03-01-2010, 11:20 PM

exact thing i thought right after i posted it...i can form it...but i will probably get kicked for the same reason our old buddy wu-tang did...

LAZtheinfamous
04-01-2010, 01:52 AM
I think one of these days I will do an actual tutorial about GS for beginners. But in the short, here it is;

1. The Stuff;
Take the two parts, the yellow and the blue and mix them together in equal amounts, which will result in that pleasing green that gives the stuff its name. The thing is that it has to be mix together, its a two part epoxy, which means that one without the other is useless and will never harden.

2. The Tools;
While GW makes an alright tool for beginners, it is also possible to get a cheap set of sculpting tools at a craft store for around $5, which is a tad more then the GW one, but will give you a lot more different things to work with.

3. Keeping the GS from Sticking.
GS is slightly tacky, so occasionally when you are working with it, the GS will stick to your tools. Which can often ruin a bit of sculpting that you have done. So you need to keep your tools lubricated. Ok, now that you have finished laughing (and prepare to do it again). Now, the cheapest and easiest to get is simple tap water. However, water doesn't stay on the tools very long so you will have to reapply it alot. Other things will work well or better. These are a list of things that I have heard used listed in order of expense; vegetable oil (used in cooking), spray on cooking spray (PAM), chapstick, and (prepare to laugh) Astroglide/KY (used in rites of Slaanesh). There are also lubricants that are made specifically for this stuff, but being that I am cheaper then dirt, I use water.

4. Everything You Need to Know About Sculpting You Learned In Kindergarten.
I'm serious. Everything you need to know about sculpting you learned in kindergarten. If you can work with Playdoh, you can work with GS. Many of the same techniques are used. Both are what are called 'press molds', that means that unlike wood or stone, instead of removing unwanted pieces of sculpture, you are pressing them down into other areas. Now, the thing to remember is that everything is made of simple shapes. Do you remember making snakes of Playdoh? Well, that snake is now a tube which can be used to do ropes or wires or even tubes. All GS work is simple shapes. The basic shapes you need to master are; tube, cube, box, pyramid, cone, sheet, and ball. Once you get the basic shapes mastered, you're half way there. Much GS is about how you put these simple shapes together to get what you need.

5. Start Small and Build Up.
This seems to be reverse of what it should be, but you don't do whopping huge layers of GS. Start small, let it dry and then build on what you have already done. Slow and steady wins the race.

That is all...until I bother to get an actual tutorial together.

Honsou
04-01-2010, 10:14 PM
GW sells them with a rather nice handle. Although the join between handle and blade is, as is often the case with these sort of things, a bit of a let down.

Zorganist
05-01-2010, 01:02 PM
EDIT: apparently, in NY state you must be 18 years or older to buy one since it is considered a weapon(15 here)...god danm crime *grumbles*

Bring a parent, or friend over 18 to a GW store with you. Get them to stand near to the till and ask miscellanous beardy shop assistant for a hobby knife. Pay said beardy shop assistant appropiate amount of money and leave, taking parent or friend over 18 with you.

GW know you aren't going to randomly stab people, so they tend to be a bit more relaxed when distributing age-restricted products. Or they are in Manchester, at least.

Honsou
05-01-2010, 03:28 PM
GW know you aren't going to randomly stab people, so they tend to be a bit more relaxed when distributing age-restricted products. Or they are in Manchester, at least. I'm not with this- my local is probably the most relaxed place in the world, they're really good eggs, but they still enforce those rules- even when parents are buying for their children.

While I hate to suggest anyone plays the system, sending a parent or over 18 friend in alone to get it would be a better plan.

mclovin95
05-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Bring a parent, or friend over 18 to a GW store with you. Get them to stand near to the till and ask miscellanous beardy shop assistant for a hobby knife. Pay said beardy shop assistant appropiate amount of money and leave, taking parent or friend over 18 with you.

GW know you aren't going to randomly stab people.

1)Good idea, i was thinking that myself.
2) SUuuure i wont:p:grin:

Also im gonna give some REP to laz for the helpful guide of his, and consadine for the links, and i think there were a couple others who posted some up, they'll get some too, i used some of the tips and put them to use making an ork loincloth, worked alot better. :D

Zorganist
06-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I'm not with this- my local is probably the most relaxed place in the world, they're really good eggs, but they still enforce those rules- even when parents are buying for their children.

While I hate to suggest anyone plays the system, sending a parent or over 18 friend in alone to get it would be a better plan.

Eh, might just be my area then. In all honesty, Manchester isn't really known for it's low levels of knife crime...

Littha
06-01-2010, 09:34 AM
did you see the manchester store while they were making the titan?

Zorganist
06-01-2010, 09:53 AM
did you see the manchester store while they were making the titan?

No, but I have seen the new one. It's got plumbing. And I saw them making Orthanc out of balsa wood and coctail sticks.

Although we are going slightly off-topic.

Littha
06-01-2010, 09:54 AM
they had powertools all over ths shop floor and cables everywhere, during opening hours lol