PDA

View Full Version : Cameras

Honsou
02-01-2010, 01:48 AM
So, I've been meaning to ask this for some time, to get people's thoughts. However, since someone recently wandered off with my only camera, it's been brought to the fore.

I am looking to buy a camera that is suitable for good quality pictures of models (nothing fancy, just good enough to get good pictures), as well as serve in taking pictures in other settings, when required to do so. I don't want to spend particularly much, shortage of money and all that.

Oh, and unlike some, I am a clutz when it comes to photography, so anything that is a pain to operate, or with a steep learning curve, is way out.

So, my question to you, fellow astronites, is this: what cameras would you recommend I consider, that fulfill those criteria?

Consadine
02-01-2010, 02:17 AM
For shooting pictures of miniatures, you need:

-Macro function (this lets you see real close up. Zoom doesn't do it!)
-Manual function (useful for tweaking exposure times and color saturation)

Nearly every point-and-shoot camera has a macro function and will be of good enough quality to give you a solid image. Just follow the tips in the photography article in Issue 2 of the Mag and you'll be fine.

Silent_P
02-01-2010, 02:48 AM
I personally use my wife's Cannon Powershot A700. It's simple enough to use and it was around $100.

Silver
02-01-2010, 03:39 AM
I'd suggest the Samsung S85. Excellent camera; just make sure to purchase a pair of powerful rechargeable AA batteries (2000ish mAH)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S85-Digitalkamera-Megapixel-schwarz/dp/B000VIB3K2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262406669&sr=8-3

Scoppio
02-01-2010, 12:08 PM
I bought an HX-1 Sony Cybershot, its an awesome camera with a professional look, you will hardly have any trouble taking photos with it (I payed less then 1.000 USD on that camera), just follow the normal steps (neutral background, SOME light, this camera don't need the best light since its awesome, macro setting and use a tripod).

Arkaedin
03-01-2010, 03:35 AM
I personally use my wife's Cannon Powershot A700. It's simple enough to use and it was around $100.
I have one (well, lesser model- A570). Anyways, there is a legit hack for it (legit as in Canon still honors your warranty) that gives it the functionality of really, really expensive cameras. Worth checking it out if you are into photography at all -> http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

@Honsou- go on tech blogs and stuff and do some research on cameras. Places like Gizmodo and CNET are good places to start.

arceus1018
03-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Olympus cameras seem to work for me just fine.

sarthonas
06-01-2010, 02:41 PM
I got myself a Nikon Coolpix S210 about a year ago, and it does a pretty good job. Small without feeling too tiny to use, good battery life (rechargable), all the standard digital functions. The macro mode works well (someday I'll post some miniature photos), but can be a little fidgety (mostly when the camera isn't completely stable).

I'm no camera expert, but for the price it seems pretty reasonable. And it appears they have a new model, the S220, for about the same price range. A quick scan of Amazon (.com and .co.uk) shows 100-150 USD/60-80 GBP depending on which model you get it and what deals you can find.

NathanS
09-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Me I use a camera I bought in 2004. It is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC33 all the pics in my wip thread have been taken with this camera. I just learned recently how to use it to get the best macro pics like the last few i my wip thread.