PDA

View Full Version : Magnets

Priest
23-11-2009, 11:13 PM
I read a post about using magnets to easily switch out weapon combinations on the minis. As I have yet to model an army yet, what is the consensus on the use of magnets?

Thanks!

Priest

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." - General George S Patton

aardvark
23-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Just done it for the first time on a pair of FW Mega Dreads so that I can swap arms/weapons. Seems to work OK. I've seen it done on vehicles and figures by other people too.

You can get small magnets readily and cheaply off eBay in a range of diameters and thicknesses.

Tips from my experience with the Mega Dreads (although the arms are pretty heavy on these). Use the largest diameter and thickest magnets that you can fit in. Thinner magnets have less strength and bits may fall of when handled.

Don't whatever you do muck up the polarity or nothing will fit! I marked the top face of each magnet off the stack with a permanent pen and then parked them on a metal ruler coloured side up. Fit the magnets so that the coloured side is showing on the arm/weapon and the plain side is showing on the body. Once they're glued solid, the colour-coding has served its purpose. If you're building in batches, use a part you've already magnetised to make sure you get the polority the right way round before marking subsequent batches of magnets.

Consadine
23-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Here's a handy size guide (http://www.merelymagnets.com/Warhammer-Magnets.html) for magnetizing your minis. Lots of online game stores sell them.

Drakdylon
24-11-2009, 08:21 PM
There is a tutorial up on the B&C which is very helpful for giving you the basics on magnetization.

Right here. (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=154822)

As for the consensus on their use? Well, most people who want to be able to swap weapons on their miniatures will use magnets. It's nice to be able to change, say, a Devastator's heavy-bolter to a lascannon without having to buy and assemble a whole other miniature. So, yes. Magnets = Awesome.

Priest
25-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Cons: great link for where to get magnets!

Drak: amazing link to those videos!

I am officially hooked on magnets! That has to be one the sneakier things I have seen.

Honsou
01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
It's a great thing to do, although personally I tend not to- I find it to be too much of a pain in the...

Pherion
01-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Magnets are great things :-P

Just please! Be carful if you buy any larger rare earth magnets. They are incredibly strong, and can hurt you if they snap together quickly.

When I say large... I doubt any modeling sizes could give you mroe than a blood blister, but titan sized ones might be able to do mroe damage.

[/motherly advice]

Honsou
02-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Titan sized ones could be... interesting XD