PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Commission Painters

NathanS
22-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I was wondering how the rest of you commision painters charge for your craft?

Inquisitor Alex
22-11-2009, 11:36 PM
I do more sculpting commissions than painting, sometimes I paint the figs I sculpt for people, add 10 $ to the cost of the sculpt. A lot of people charge "cost of the mini" - I guess that works out pretty fair.

NathanS
22-11-2009, 11:49 PM
I was just wondering I charge 10 dollars a mini. I do give breaks for army commisions. I am just wondering if some get more and how much I should charge. I have a monopoly in my area.

Inquisitor Alex
22-11-2009, 11:56 PM
That sounds fair. If you give "bulk discounts" that's reasonable.

grimdisco
23-11-2009, 12:02 PM
$10 a mini is fair, I tend to charge lots more. Here is an example, the realm of battle board I got $350 for.
So do what you think is fair and get more if you paint for trade.

Consadine
23-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Depends on the quality of the model. I've seen people go for $3-$4 as the standard price for basic infantry. Here's a pricing spread (http://www.fullofmonkey.com/40k/pricing.shtml) from one of the BOLS guys as an example.

Pherion
23-11-2009, 02:07 PM
I ususaly do between $3-$4 for table top quality. I've seen myself improving so much in the last few months though that I'd probably charge quite a bit more for the quality I'm putting on my own minis.

Here (http://www.arolkay.com/Contact.htm) is my pricing page.

Honsou
30-11-2009, 07:55 AM
I was just wondering I charge 10 dollars a mini. I do give breaks for army commisions. I am just wondering if some get more and how much I should charge. I have a monopoly in my area.

Then you can charge more. That would be the second rule of monopolies, the first being to maintain said monopoly ;) Seriously though: $10 is actually not that high a price- around here regular commissions will go for at least 10 and often more.

The key thing is that it has to cover all your costs incurred, plus a good margin for yourself. I recommend that you don't actually set a price- go for an "average price for" approach- work the cost out individually, based on what it is, how many of them there are, difficulty, supplies needed, etc.