PDA

View Full Version : Static Grass

NathanS
19-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey guys a few questions about static grass.

I currently have static grass that you have to cut to length and then glue on is this stuff any good?

GW makes static grass also do they not? If so is it any good?

Pherion
19-11-2009, 01:37 PM
I've never used the kind you have to cut, I use some similar to GWs, and you basically just glue it onto the base and it sticks up by itself. I'd honestly suggest finding a local modeling store (model train shops work great) and check out their basing materials. Likelihood is they will have an entire isle devoted to it, and you'll get all the selection you need, and probably cheaper too.

NathanS
19-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I got this at a train shop no where in my area do they carry the normal static grass need to find some now. So the GW stuff really easy to use then I take it.

Pherion
19-11-2009, 01:48 PM
If you have to grab the GW stuff then I guess you do.

For the GW style static grass, just mix white glue (Elmers, PVA, etc) with water and a little Goblin Green. Dab the mixture on your base where you want the grass to go, and then sprinkle the grass on until its piled up over the paint. When you are sprinkling, make sure you rub the grass between your fingers to separate it all and loosen it up (it usually comes out in clumps). Let it dry for an hour or so, then tap the excess off into your container. Go outside a few hours later, and give it a good blow to get the rest off.

Be careful with this stuff. Its fiberglass, and if it gets in your lungs with enough density it can cause some nasty stuff to happen.

Honsou
19-11-2009, 02:08 PM
If you don't want to fashion it yourself: get it from model train shops, they are alot cheaper there.

Pherion
19-11-2009, 03:03 PM
If you don't want to fashion it yourself: get it from model train shops, they are alot cheaper there.

LMAO - Did you read the thread? :-P

I got this at a train shop, no where in my area do they carry the normal static grass ...

Honsou
19-11-2009, 03:08 PM
LMAO - Did you read the thread? :-P

You do realize that train materials are probably easier to get online than even GW stuff? :p