PDA

View Full Version : Magic Wash?

Pherion
13-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Saw this link posted over on Herresy, and was wondering if anyone else had tried it. It looks like it might work pretty well.

http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/magicwash.htm

Any ideas?

Inquisitor Alex
13-11-2009, 10:07 PM
My buddy Matt uses floorwax to varnish stuff on his minis, he says it's a lot like 'ardcoat. I imagine it'd thin down paint nicely.

grimdisco
14-11-2009, 08:38 PM
A local mini painting teacher uses that wax for all kinds of painting applications for minis. Seems to work well for him, I my self have not tried it yet.

Captain Castus
14-11-2009, 09:38 PM
The UK equivalent is Johnson's 'Klear' I believe... They use it the FW masterclass book...

CC

RagingEwok
14-11-2009, 09:41 PM
There was an article on B&C or some other forum I frequent which uses this exact process. Actually I think it's probably the same guy but there were picture instructions.... maybe I'll be able to find it.

Pherion
14-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Well sounds like I might go invest in a bottle. being able to make random washes of any color... (drule).

aardvark
22-11-2009, 10:49 PM
"Johnson's Klear" (UK name) isn't a wax at all. It's an acrylic varnish, probably the cheapest on the market. That's why it works so well. Many modellers in other genres swear by it too. Never felt the need to use it myself, but if it's designed to go on floors it ought to be hard-wearing.

Soldiers often used to use it on their boot toecaps to save laborious polishing. Never felt the need to do that either