PDA

View Full Version : Army Painter

demyse
10-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Being the first time in a long ive actually painted a model need a wee bit of advice if possible. For reasons not important ive now got shaky hands when it comes to detail, probably the main reason why im collecting nurgle CSM. With detail being an issue has anyone ever heard of/used the army painter products? and if so whats the verdict? useful or waste of cash?

Honsou
10-11-2009, 04:19 PM
I'd recommend that you head into your local GW or so, they'll happily give you free painting tutorials- show you how and walk you through the steps, give you tips and pointers and so on. Until recently, I had a friend do all my painting for me (in return for conversions on his models :p)- and although my painting isn't good, at least I can pull of the basics.

I'm sure they can help you with tricks for your problems. If you've got shaky hands, the things I would say are these:

1. Rest your hands against each other (the base of each hand) and work with the model in the middle. It reduces shaking.
2. Work close up, and hold the brush very close to the tip.
3. Work close to the table- rest your hands on the table and you wont shake as much, it'll steady you.

Carrelio
10-11-2009, 05:24 PM
You have no idea, I have the least steady hand I know (I basically just shake all the time, similar to an old man), but you'll find that your entire body shakes at the same unstead rate, so if you put the hand holding the model, and the model together like Honsou suggested, you should be set. It really works well

Honsou
10-11-2009, 05:41 PM
It does that. Does wonders for me!

Consadine
10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I've heard good things about the Army Painter products, but I would only use them if I had to paint a horde army such as Tyranids and Skaven. You can cheat in a way and just use wood stain; this is a method primarily known as dipping.