PDA

View Full Version : Really Heavy Base Filler?

Lord Dubu
09-11-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm looking for an extremely heavy (probably granular) lead-free material to fill my bases in with to prevent them falling over when the table gets bumped. Anyone have anything they can recommend... I'm thinking Zircon Sand... but wish I knew what was in the base of my tape dispenser at work.

Consadine
09-11-2009, 11:47 PM
For non-slotted bases, nickel slugs should do the trick. Or nickels, even. If you aren't American, nickels might be hard to come by...

What kind of base for what mini?

Lord Dubu
09-11-2009, 11:53 PM
In America...

Isn't nickle fairly lightweight? Definitely lighter than Zircon Sand I'd think...

I'm basing all my infantry... most of which are the standard black non slotted GW bases. Though there are slotted hero bases among them.

What I'd really like to do is fill the bases... then put a layer of wood glue over the filler to make a smooth paint-able surface for putting squad membership on the bottom of the mini... I'm kind of obsessive in that I like to solidify permanent squads and name each mini.

Consadine
09-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Nickel slugs and nickel the 5 cent coin are plenty heavy for minis.

Are you talking about filling the hollow part of the base and using glue to seal all of that to the bottom?

Littha
10-11-2009, 12:02 AM
usually coins are more than heavy enough...

Consadine
10-11-2009, 12:04 AM
usually coins are more than heavy enough...

But then you've got the slotted bases which don't play nice with coins (tin snips!), I think that is where Dubu is having difficulty... I am not sure, are these metal minis? Typically weighted bases doesn't help much, in my experience. Granted I don't get to play much.

Lord Dubu
10-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Nah these are all plastic guys. Consadine, you're exactly right... that's what I want to do.

Consadine
10-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Ah, plastics, they don't need much then. Save yourself some money and head to a mechanic's shop and ask for a handful of their weights that are used for aligning tires. Those're made out of lead and you can typically get the old and used ones for free, especially if you don't need that many. Lead being a malleable metal, you can use some pliers to thin it out, then superglue to the bottom of the base. Should work well for the slotted bases, use nickel slugs or nickels, even pennies (maybe even doubled up with the pennies?) for the ones with no slots.

Edit: If the lead is an issue for you in terms of handling it, varnish your minis. It'll seal it up nice and good.

grimdisco
10-11-2009, 01:52 AM
There are a few things you can use.
Slug/coins
Drywall putty (dap is the one that I have used)
Sand and rocks on the base as flock
Buck shot/BB's ( that a way heavy filler)

I'm sure there are more.

Hope this helps.

Honsou
10-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Hmm, I use little pieces of slate. I have a huge collection of slate plate tiles, which I also use for basing- it's a simple enough matter to chop off a bit and stick it under the base.

If you use an english coin.... well make sure you don't glue the side with the queen's head, cause you know that's illegal ;) Seriously, it is.

Silent_P
10-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I have known a few people who glue magnets to the bottom of their bases. Not only does it serve as a weight, but it allows the army to be transported inside a metal toolbox.

Honsou
10-11-2009, 01:40 PM
I have known a few people who glue magnets to the bottom of their bases. Not only does it serve as a weight, but it allows the army to be transported inside a metal toolbox.

And if you use metal shelves, they will never get knocked over ;)

ledfloyd
10-11-2009, 08:05 PM
I use Electronics Solder. I just roll some up so it's disc shaped and glue it in.

aardvark
12-11-2009, 10:55 PM
A stiff mix of sand and PVA glue, pressed in and smoothed flat? Should work with slotted and plain bases.

Sand is pretty dense and the small grains don't leave any (weight-less) voids.

Inquisitor023
12-11-2009, 11:09 PM
I got a feth load of blue tak and used it to stick it to the board.

and then there was me....
12-11-2009, 11:55 PM
concrete maybe?small amounts in the bottoms of each base oughta do the trick

Honsou
13-11-2009, 12:57 AM
concrete maybe?small amounts in the bottoms of each base oughta do the trick

Bit of an effort though...

13-11-2009, 04:15 AM
not if you're bored and want to repair some cracks in your drive way ;) AND fill the bottoms of your army's bases

Turtlshellz
13-11-2009, 05:28 AM
I used to use pennies for that purpose. Didn't cost me anything :laugh:

Elfaen
13-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Try dark matter. As long as you can prove its existance it should be perfect for the job.

Honsou
13-11-2009, 04:42 PM
not if you're bored and want to repair some cracks in your drive way ;) AND fill the bottoms of your army's bases

I don't got no cracks on my driveway ;)

@Tuttle: ensuring you stick 'em to the reverse side, so as not to break any laws ;)

Turtlshellz
20-11-2009, 11:16 AM
Try dark matter. As long as you can prove its existance it should be perfect for the job.

not to be to picky here but they used the Hubble Space Telescope to prove that Dark Matter does indeed exist. ;)

Honsou
20-11-2009, 12:08 PM
not to be to picky here but they used the Hubble Space Telescope to prove that Dark Matter does indeed exist. ;)

This proves nothing. They tried to prove I existed... I told them that existence was subjective. I think a few heads exploded XD

20-11-2009, 12:49 PM
im telling ya man concrete. if you get angry you have nice project tiles that are perfectly shaped for throwing(if they dont have any minatures on them). you can build a wall outta the concrete you have left to defend your home from zombie invasion.

Skrall
20-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm looking for an extremely heavy (probably granular) lead-free material to fill my bases in with to prevent them falling over when the table gets bumped. Anyone have anything they can recommend... I'm thinking Zircon Sand... but wish I knew what was in the base of my tape dispenser at work.

to be honest the best thing to use as a weight for coins is once pence pieces, they add a hell of a alot of weight to it.

hawke