PDA

View Full Version : Aspect Warriors & Avatars

Ditradin_B
08-11-2009, 12:29 AM
As you could probably guess from the thread title name, i'm wondering if Aspect Warriors have to stick to their colours? In terms of fluff anyway.

This is probably a very 'Noob' question lol. I'm just not keen on how much the colours clash >.> Stirking Scorpions & Fire Dragons for example.

I can live with it if changing their colours go against the fluff, but i really want to have coherency in my painting especially with my Dire Avengers (Troops) & my Elites (Scorpions & Banshees), then want to play with said colours for my Fast Attack & Heavy Support troups.

Was also wondering if anyone had any tips for painting an Avatar? I'm a decent painter, not great at shading/layering but comfortable with other techniques.

Any help would be appreciated :p

Consadine
08-11-2009, 12:32 AM
I don't think there is any fluff that says they have to have their armor a certain set of colors. Didn't stop me...

As for the Avatar, you might want to try a method used on the runes on Njal's staff. (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat200013a&categoryId=900005&section=&pIndex=3&aId=2500012a&start=4) Could help make him more molten and firey... I haven't painted an Avatar, can't really help you beyond that.

Ditradin_B
08-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the quick response & the link, t'was quite useful.

Good to hear, means i don't have to buy some new colours :D

Aeth
08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
At the end of the day its your army and you should paint it any colour you like.

Silent_P
08-11-2009, 04:25 PM
There are probably a few unnamed Eldar Craftworlds floating about in the darkness of space. You could say your army is from the Craftworld Monochromatic if you want. :happy:

Hephesto
08-11-2009, 04:51 PM
There's nothing keeping you from changing their colourscheme, even fluffwise GW has shown us pics of official subcults with different colourschemes. I'll try and find the appropriate White Dwarf. All them seem to be variants on the main colourscheme, but they do allow for some creative breathing space.

Edit - the info is in UK White Dwarf 323, pages 80-87. They give a detailed look at the Dire Avenger sprue, as well as the background of the other aspects. In addition for each aspect they give one or multiple shrines, group dedicated to that path of the warrior, but situated on a specific craftworld. Hope this helps:

Dire Avengers:
- Shrine of the knight azure - dazzling blue (only describtion, no example).
- Sun blade shrine - no colourscheme info, just that they're master of the blade.
- Shrine of the falling moon - (Alaitoc Craftworld) - normal blue armour, but with white face guard, blue outer helmet part, red soulstones and the following colours on the helmet crest (top to bottom - red, white, black, red, white, black, red, white & black).
- Sable helm shrine - Black helmets (only describtion, no example).
- Argent chrest shrine - white crests (only describtion, no example).
- Shrine of the sons of Asurmen - (only describtion, no example).

Howling Banshees:
- Shrine of the deathsong - as normal howling banshees, but with black outer helmet part and grey hair. In addition the mini's right arm is bronze and it has red instead of blue soulstones.
- Shrine of the ebon witch - black armour, green tabard, red soulstones, bronze/silver weapons, normal head, orange hair and the mini's right arm is the normal wraithbone.

Striking Scorpions:
- Shrine of the viridic stalkers - as normal striking scorpions, but with slighty darker green and yellow outer helmet part.
- Shrine of the obsidian claw - as normal striking scorpion, but with all yellow markings replaced with brigh yellow. Also, the inner helmet part is this colour as well, while the weapons are black (with green chevrons).

Fire Dragons
- Shrine of the red wyrm - blood red armour, bronze weapon, black inner helmet part (face), rest of the helmet is bronze as well and yellow soulstones.
- Shrine of the burning lance - normal orangy armour, orangy inner helmet part (face), rest of the helmet is black with orangy soulstones, blackweapon and hreen soulstones.

Swooping Hawkes:
- Shrine of the ashen sky - Dark grey armour, bonze/silver weapons, turqouise heltmet, yellow mouth guard, red soulstones and yellow/black feathers on the outer layer of the jumppack.
- Shrine of the bloodieed wing - turqouise armour, red soulstones, metallic detailing, bronze weapon, black helmet, white mouth guard, white tabard, black wings and white/pink feathers on the outer layers on the jumppack.

Dark Reapers:
- Shrine of the darkened heart - normal bacl armour, purple outer helmet parts, purple weapon with flaming wraithbone on the black weaponfiring cone and with a wraith-bone-coloured tabard with purple horizontal lines.
-Jade scythe shrine - normal black armour, blue weapon white wraithbone, vertical markings, blue soulstones, blue helmetcrest and arm/tabard markings in wraithbone.

Warp Spiders:
- Voidwalker shrine - normal red armour, black helmet, white mandables and bronze weapons with a blue weapon core.
- Shrine of the shade gate - black armour, normal head, red weapons with red core and a red soulstone.

Shining Spears:
- none

Ditradin_B
08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Ah brilliant, thanks for that Hephesto, will be very helpful when i start painting them (still assembling everything :().

Pherion
09-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Another idea for the avatar... I don't have any examples as of yet, because I haven't taken any WIP pics of mine.

Prime it white, use red/yellow/orange inks over the entire model. Paint all the raised areas however you plan to paint him, and leave the underneath with the nice red/orange look for a molten inside.

Musashi
10-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Another idea for the avatar... I don't have any examples as of yet, because I haven't taken any WIP pics of mine.

Prime it white, use red/yellow/orange inks over the entire model. Paint all the raised areas however you plan to paint him, and leave the underneath with the nice red/orange look for a molten inside.

This is how i did mine, with black for the armour. gave a really nice effect!

And i painted my Aspect warriors in black and bone the same as the rest of my pointy ears. just looked better to my eyes!