PDA

View Full Version : Drills

Aeth
05-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey guys,

Now I'm starting to build stuff for this whole weird 40k thing I'm going to have to start drilling guns barrels and the such like. Is the citadel drill worth getting or is there any better alternatives you'd recomend? And do you hav any advice on how deep to make the holes etc?

Cheers

Ossai
05-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Well, I have the citadel one, but the drill bits you get with it are too small to drill barrels properly. It is worth getting for the pinning and magnetizing area though, unless someone can point me in the direction of bigger drill bits for it?

LAZtheinfamous
06-11-2009, 12:09 AM
To be honest, the drill itself is well worth it, but expensive to replace bits or variation in size. For new bits or size change I recommend...the dollar store. Most dollar stores and other discount chains have sets of drill bits for cheap. Granted, you'll never use the larger ones for modelling, but the smaller ones are often more expensive at the hardware store (which is another good place to get them, and often more reliable.)

Captain Kellen
06-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Dremel sells a bit set that comes in various sizes you can use and that fit in the GW pin drill for about $8 to $10 USD. I get mine at Home Depot.

The dollare store is the best bet though if you are on a tight budget as suggested by LAZ.

CK

Silent_P
06-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Any reputable tooling supply company can get you a drill no matter what the size. As a machinist, I've drilled holes ranging in size from .006" to 1". It's just a case of how much you're willing to pay. You can get standard fractional inch drill bits for $2.00 a piece if quality isn't important.

I personally do business with Alexander Tool Supply and MSC.

Consadine
06-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Mine is made by X-Acto. Came with three different sizes of drill bits that I only use two of. The small one is perfect for pinning and drilling guide holes for the medium sized one that I use for drilling out gun barrels. Not sure on what sizes they are specifically. Here's a bullet point from a website:

Accommodates small (67-80) and medium (49-57) drill bits (1.35mm - 7.3mm).

Aeth
07-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, though being in the UK I can't really get to those shops :)

Might pick up the citadel one while I'm in town tomorrow, could always widen holes with a bevel if necessary lol.

LAZtheinfamous
07-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, though being in the UK I can't really get to those shops :)

Might pick up the citadel one while I'm in town tomorrow, could always widen holes with a bevel if necessary lol.

There are no hardware stores or discount shops? How do you build anything? ;)

I believe the brit equilivant would be a DIY shop. Many small bits there.

Ossai
07-11-2009, 02:29 AM
There is also always the pound shop. Neve know what goodies you will find there ;)

Honsou
08-11-2009, 05:50 PM
The Citadel one is actually a pretty good little tool- and you can buy drill bits of different sizes from any hardware store. Get a few different sizes, that way you can do the pinning, the barrel drilling, etc.

Personally, I do have one but rarely use it- I got me a similar sized powered model drill, which is that much easier to use- instead of holding it and awkwardly turning the drill, etc- just the touch of a button. That would set you back about 75-100 though so unless you're planning on doing alot of drilling (or are just really lazy) then go with the citadel one.

aardvark
12-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I agree about the GW tool - it is one of the better ones, but there are others just as good and possibly cheaper. I got a stubbier one with a ball top from Proops Brothers that I really like. Force 9 sell the same item, but at a higher price.

Wherever you are in the world, you can get all the miniature drill bits you could ever dream of on good old eBay.

Frankly, for small sizes for drilling plastic there's no need to go for expensive "name" brands like Dremel. They WILL all break ........

Top tip - you can get brands of bits with a common shank diameter: the shank narrows to form the bit itself. These are slightly stronger but do still break. Big advantage is that you don't need to keep changing the chuck in your drill.

Another top tip - only have the minimum necessary length of bit showing. They don't break as often that way.

Pherion
12-11-2009, 11:56 PM
If you're looking for bits, try Amazon. I got 4 1/36 bits (which NO ONE carried in store) for 50 cents!

Aeth
14-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the tips guys. I picked up citadel drill the other day so I'll have a go on a spare bolter and see if I'll need some bigger bits.

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
14-11-2009, 01:05 AM
If you go to the Moddel Shop in town Aeth they sell a 20 piece set for about 10 and individual parts.

Tall
14-11-2009, 07:22 AM
I nicked some Titanium tipped ones off my dad, there's nothing like a five finger discount off your daddy!!!!

Aeth
15-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the tip FH, I take it you mean the one on Ferensway? And do they all fit the citadel drill?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
15-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Most of them do! Indeed the one on ferensway.