PDA

View Full Version : Help with olive green

KaizerVonAwesome
05-11-2009, 07:17 AM
So I was working on a Leman Russ tank a long time ago and have since painted it up and need some advice. No camera, sorry. I wish I could show it, I named the tank Conan and painted the name on the side with a sword underneath it and it looks cool :). I have however lost the turret. *shrug*

I used gretchin green foundation paint with highlights of camo green. I'm going for a WW2 American tank look. I have a few issues.

1. I'm not convinced the color is entirely right (ok it isn't right, period). It seems too light, not green enough. More like a green tinged yellow puke like this (http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/04/Sherman-Tank-Turret.jpg). I want it to look like this (http://www.355tharmored.com/gallery/albums/album34/ShermanTank_1.jpg). What should I use? I'm thinkin I'll just find some paint that is that specific color, I know Valejo does WW2 color sets for various armies, but Id rather use what I have on hand (which is everything).

2. Ok I forgot number 2. Damn!

Basically my IG are going to be the Alpha Legion's little helpers. Olive green and inverted white stars for everyone!

Consadine
05-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Catachan Green as a base, then add some Bleached Bone until you get the color you want, or just buy Vallejo's Olive Green :p

Silent_P
05-11-2009, 11:27 PM
I've been using Chromium Oxide Green from Liquitex. It's $8.00 a tube and lasts forever.

and then there was me....
06-11-2009, 02:49 AM
you can actually purchase that color of olive green if you look around in enough hobby shops or craft stores

KaizerVonAwesome
07-11-2009, 06:43 AM
you can actually purchase that color of olive green if you look around in enough hobby shops or craft stores

yeaaaahhh most of em closed around here because the economy bloooowwws. There used to be at least ten I knew of and now only one that sucks (trains? BAH!).

I'll play around with Consadine's idea first. If that fails... well I'll do this the easy way :)

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
07-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Gretchin green might be what you're looking for.

Nomad
07-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Add a little black to your yellowy green, or red, depending on what you are aiming for...

aardvark
12-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Life Color do a set of OG shades, 6 or 8 in the set. That might help. Saw one on eBay last night under Model Kits / Paints & Accessories. Colours are all available separately.