PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Empire State Troopers?

hammerhock
03-11-2009, 07:15 AM
hi,

while im still pondering as to which army i wish to start my forray into fantasy, ive been lookin at all the various forces on offer.

ive always liked the empire army list, nice and versatile but what i have never liked is the miniatures!

i mean men in big poffy shirts and tights just dosent seem like the ideal battle uniform to me.

what i was wondering....could you use bretonnian men-at-arms and bowmen to represent the rank and file of the army?
to me they certainly look like a "proper" soldier; dirty, grity and tough without a nicely trimmed beared and frilly shirt!

so what do you guys think? i figure it wouldnt be a problem in friendly games but what about tournaments and the like?

cheers,

Hammer.

Marticus
03-11-2009, 10:02 AM
not a problem at all, so long as the minis have the same rules and equipment as the empire i say go for it :)

Musashi
03-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Warhammer really isnt as stringent as 40K.

as long as what your using is confusing in any way (ie i have 4 units if high elf spearmen painted the same way, these two units are spearmen, this one is a unit of phoenix gaurd and this on is a bolt thrower!) then there shouldnt be a problem.......

Honsou
03-11-2009, 01:32 PM
As long as you convert the miniatures (it has to be obvious that these are State troopers, not Bret. Men at arms), then there is absolutely nothing wrong with using them.

Personally I know where you're coming from, and have thought about doing some modifications to the state troopers, to reduce the amount of puffyness. What I am getting at is that modifications to your state troopers might also be an option worth investigating- you're going to have to convert things either way.

LorenzoLupo
04-11-2009, 09:06 AM
You forgot to mention the cod-pieces.
Now there's a manifestation of chaos the Witch Hunters haven't noticed.

Killer
04-11-2009, 10:21 AM
The thing that irks me most about the Troopers are the guys without any shoes!

Who would go to war bare-footed?! :mad:

And being a trooper (a sensible career in the Empire, well, one that at least pays, while you're alive that is...), you think you would be able to afford a pair of shoes!

Nevermind that! Arn't the shoes supposed to be standard issue with the rest of the silly uniform?!

Anyway, rant over- back on topic: Shouldn't be a problem! As afore mentioned WHFB is not as strict as 40K, so long as the base-sizes are correct and the unit in question is easily recognized for what they represent, no problem!

But you should try Honsou's suggestion, purely for the sake of having the satisfaction of "creating" your own models and practicing your modeling skills...;)

Honsou
04-11-2009, 12:27 PM
@Killer: some greenstuff and a touch of paint will cure that particular deficiency ;)

Killer
04-11-2009, 02:17 PM
No it won't! I'll always know he's bare foot! :(

:p

Honsou
04-11-2009, 02:18 PM
No it won't! I'll always know he's bare foot! :(

:p

So model on some boots, problem solved ;)

KaizerVonAwesome
07-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Yeah the poofy stuff is based on Landsknecht mercenaries from Germany around the time of the Renaissance. Believe it or not, people actually fought in ridiculous clothing like the Empire.

LorenzoLupo
08-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Yeah the poofy stuff is based on Landsknecht mercenaries from Germany around the time of the Renaissance. Believe it or not, people actually fought in ridiculous clothing like the Empire.

And won many a time.

Killer
08-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Believe it or not, people actually fought in ridiculous clothing like the Empire.

Did they have shoes?!:exasperated:

Aeth
08-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Accoding to google they wore these:

http://www.medieval-fightclub.com/product_images/b/landsknecht_shoes__54915.jpg

http://john.keimel.com/images/Gustav.jpg

Killer
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
See?! They had shoes!

Not great ones, and a bit silly, but its shoes none-the-less! :p

Honsou
08-11-2009, 11:24 PM