PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about sticking models

Ezio
24-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey I finally bought my first Space Wolves Pack :D
I also bought a hobby knife and glue and now I'm gluing it.
The questions are:
1. Do you glue the base before or after you painted the models?

2. Do you glue the arms before or after you painted the models?

3. Do you glue the shoulder (where you paint the symbol on, bad english ><) to the actual arm before or after you painted the model?

4. What about the helmet/head?

Thank you very much,
Ezio :D

Hephesto
24-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Well pretty much depends on your preferences, I like to go about it like this:

1. I glue the mini to the base, sometimes applying other basing materials right away as well. Being able to hold the sides of the base usually makes things a lot easier to paint.

2. Yes, if they do not obscure large portions of the rest of the mini I won't be able to get to. This generally means that those minis armed with rifle-like weapons (bolter etc) I leave the weapon of to paint it seperately. The same goes for SM backpacks, often it is easier to paint those seperately.

3. Yes, though this is in part because I paint the backpak seperately. If it would be attached already I could see the benefit of leaving the pad of so you can get to the sides etc.

Ezio
24-10-2009, 03:10 PM
And what with the head?

Hephesto
24-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Usually just glue it in there, though often as the last part.

Ezio
24-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Usually just glue it in there, though often as the last part.

Last part before or after painting? :P

So the order is:
1. Everything
2. Painting
3. Backpack
4. Painting
3. Head
5. Painting?

Nomad
24-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Ensure that if you do choose to leave pieces off for ease of painting, you do not paint over where the glue will have to be applied. The glue will peel the paint off and you will end up with bits falling off the model just when you least want them to...