PDA

View Full Version : Primers

Silent_P
24-10-2009, 12:33 AM
So what do you recommend one use for a decent primer? I've tried GW's primer and was not very happy. I have also tried a primer by Krylon, but I find that it goes on to thick for my liking.

Consadine
24-10-2009, 03:19 AM
The only black primer that I could find in town was Rust-oleum's Automobile Primer. It worked pretty well, but doesn't cover very detailed metal minis, such as ones with lots of fur.

GW Primer is typically pretty good stuff. Humidity and wind can really wreck priming, though, so that might've been why you were having trouble.

Tall
24-10-2009, 05:46 AM
That said I've always used GW primer but the last couple of cans I've used the models have turned grey and "foggy" (for the want of a better word) I always spray in the same place which is the same temp and everything so I've no idea what's happening.

Zorganist
24-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I've only had the one can of GW primer, but that's worked fine for me.

aardvark
24-10-2009, 09:01 AM
GW Chaos Black spray works well for me. It's even recommended by many in the tank modelling world.

I've tried Vallejo's aerosol acrylic black primer, but didn't like it. Tamiya do a nice primer spray, but only in grey. I've also used Plasti-Cote black enamel spray, but it isn't as fine as GW's,

"Bloom" (greyness) does sound like a humidity problem to me.

With any aerosol, there is a danger of "swamping" - too much paint. Trick is to spray in short bursts from different angles. The GW spray is enamel, not acrylic, so hard to get off without damage if you do swamp.

Any metal parts will benefit from being primed with grey auto primer first, but swamping is a real problem with this type of paint. I spray some into a jar and use a brush.

Nomad
24-10-2009, 10:25 AM
That said I've always used GW primer but the last couple of cans I've used the models have turned grey and "foggy" (for the want of a better word) I always spray in the same place which is the same temp and everything so I've no idea what's happening.

Are you shaking the can thoroughly? Give it a really good long shake before using and then give it a rattle every now and then whilst using. I only ever used one can of black primer, but usually hand prime with Skull White.

Tall
24-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I normally shake it like a dog with a bone but for some reason this can wouldn't spray properly, oh well it's all gone now hopefully it'll be a good one next time. I've always dried my models with a hairdryer on low heat but I didn't on the last batch of models I did, maybe that's got something to do with it.

Nomad
24-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Probably not. I always let mine air dry. Was the coverage enough or, because it wasn't spraying properly, was it very thin?

Tall
24-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Not really, I tend to give 3 or 4 coats to get the coverage, I've been using GW primer for as long as I can remember because oddly it's the cheapest primer I've found locally (I even resprayed the wheels on my car with the stuff) I really do think it was a duff can because I've never had the problems before.

Nomad
24-10-2009, 01:42 PM
Speak to the staff at the store next time you're in there and see if they have experienced it themselves or had any others report it. They never know of these glitches unless they get feedback.

Silent_P
24-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I primed most of my minis with the white primer from GW. The problem I keep running into is a sort of bubbling effect. It leaves small dimples in the coat where it appears a bubble formed and then popped.

I then tried Krylon's gray primer on my guardsmen and it was way to thick on their faces. I kept loosing eyes and nostrils, though everything else was fine. Lax used the same can on his Necrons and they look just fine. It could be my technique.

Aeth
24-10-2009, 11:54 PM
You could be holding the can too close and/or spraying for too long. Try short bursts from about 15"+ away.

Kishvier
25-10-2009, 12:27 AM
I primed most of my minis with the white primer from GW. The problem I keep running into is a sort of bubbling effect. It leaves small dimples in the coat where it appears a bubble formed and then popped.

I then tried Krylon's gray primer on my guardsmen and it was way to thick on their faces. I kept loosing eyes and nostrils, though everything else was fine. Lax used the same can on his Necrons and they look just fine. It could be my technique.

Let the GW primer sit for a while, it should stop. Thats how my primer was and letting it sit in my desk for a month fixed it up.

Carrelio
25-10-2009, 03:35 AM
Could I suggest priming by hand? I do it for my more important models (characters, or small elite forces, like my space hulk terminators). Just paint on a layer with a brush before getting started.

Honsou
25-10-2009, 11:35 AM
You could be holding the can too close and/or spraying for too long. Try short bursts from about 15"+ away.

Just to add my two cents: GW recommends the spray distance to be between 20 and 40 centimeters. I find that being slightly under that works just great for rapid short bursts, to get all the crevices and little bits, etc. Then I give them one final consistent coat with long bursts, from a slightly greater distance. Works good for me.

GW recommends that you let the model sit for 1 hr after spraying, but I find that (providing your first layer of paint is drybrushing) 30 minutes is more than sufficient. Definitely don't touch it before 20 mins is up though- because that will leave nasty marks, and it'll cause the paint to slide and bunch up.