PDA

View Full Version : enamels vs waterbased washes

trottlesnot
23-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Hello,

When i got into the hobby (around the time the Neanderthals got extinct) most people were using enamel paints (revell, humbroll etc.).

Anyways i dont intend to change my habits as i dont want to dramaticly change the look of my army , but i sure would like to experiment a bit with washes.

So i was wondering if anybody had experience with combining the GW waterbased washes with enamel paints??

Or, does anybody know a supplier of washes that are not waterbased.

thx.

trot

aardvark
23-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Check out the MiG range. They have a number of enamel washes and filters which are very good and are designed specifically to use over acrylics.

The problem with enamels is that they remain soluble by their solvent even once dry, unlike acrylics. Enamel wash over enamel paint often spells disaster unless you have used an acrylic varnish sealer.

Pro Modeller do some nice matt water-based washes, but they remain water-soluble and easily rub off.

Vallejo have just released some acrylic washes, but I've been disappointed with them. Their black wash came out more like a glaze for me.

There is an earlier thread in this forum on making home-made ink washes using acrylic medium, which looks interesting.

Water-based washes are always a problem because of surface tension and droplet size, and slow evaporation. The home-made mix mentioned above gets round that by using flow improver.

trottlesnot
25-10-2009, 07:07 AM
ok thx Aardvark

that gave me something to think about.

Honsou
25-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Use a sealing agent and then add layered washes. At least you wont have to worry about the effects on your already painted minis. As to future ones- seems to me you should probably switch paints; use some that don't have this problem but have similar appearance/effects. You'd need to experiment around some though.

trottlesnot
26-10-2009, 04:25 PM
switching paints was something i was hoping to avoid. As i know my colours, mixtures etc.

but i have quite a few, horribly painted loose models that i can experiment on

thx.

Honsou
26-10-2009, 04:40 PM
That's the way to do it, even though you end up with large numbers of 'test models'. Still they can be stripped and repainted, I've just done that to about 30 models myself.