PDA

View Full Version : Painting Flesh

Tall
23-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Does anyone have a quick and easy way of painting skin? My preferred method is a base of Tallarn Flesh, Ogryn Flesh wash then a drybrush of Tallarn over the top. But it looks a bit pink in some cases, does anyone else have a quick and easy way of doing skin?

LAZtheinfamous
23-10-2009, 01:49 PM
There is no easy way of doing flesh. My method is a elf base, sepia wash, elf drybrush.

Consadine
23-10-2009, 01:52 PM
I use Bestial Brown as a base, then a 50/50 mix of Bestial and Elf Flesh, wash, then various layers of increasingly concentrated Elf Flesh mixes. Laz's should be lots quicker, though.

Nomad
23-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Mix a little white with the skin tone you are using and apply to the prominent points of the cheeks, nose and chin, then do again allowing a little of the previous layer to show. If it's still too pink, try adding a touch of yellow to the original tone.

I mix my own "flesh" from a dash of blood red, a touch of golden yellow and alot of skull white, adding white to taste.

Musashi
23-10-2009, 02:18 PM
I go

Graveyard earth > Elf flesh > (watered down) Sepia wash > Elf Flesh > 50/50 Elf flesh/bleached bone)

I paint mostly elves/eldar so maybe for human flesh i would go

Graveyard earth > Dwarf flesh > sepia wash > dwarf flesh > elf flesh

Silent_P
23-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I swiped Lax's bottle of "Flesh Tone" acrylic paint. I'll let you know how that turns out.

aardvark
23-10-2009, 08:25 PM
You don't say whose flesh you're painting .....

Presuming it's human, check out the Andrea Miniatures flesh paint set. I think Vallejo and Life Color do similar sets too. The Andrea set has 6 pots for skin tones plus shades and highlights and was originally designed especially for figure painters.

The eye-dropper pots are 17ml each (40% more than GW's 12ml) and the set is about 14, so good value compared to GW. While self-mixing works, pre-mixes are more consistent and much less wasteful.

Andrea also do white and black sets in the same vein - shades and highlights.

Arkaedin
23-10-2009, 08:39 PM
I do black prime>bestial base coat>1:1 bestial to dwarf>dwarf> 1:1 dwarf/elf highlight with a final elf highlight. (my avatar is a good example of what that system looks like finished)

Nomad
23-10-2009, 11:24 PM
While self-mixing works, pre-mixes are more consistent and much less wasteful.

More consistent, maybe, but that is why I mix. I don't usually go for consistency, especially with something as changeable as skin.