PDA

View Full Version : Assembly Inquiry

Consadine
21-10-2009, 02:40 AM
How do my fellow Astronites assemble their models? What tips/tricks do you have for building your models? Infantry specifically.

Why the question? I am not good at building models, especially ones that need the arms to be in a specific position in order to hold the gun naturally (Marines) or this Azrael model I'm making that has lots of places that need to be glued for the arm assembly. My current approach is either apply glue and pray it's right, or pin everything (even then it's not as reliable as I would like it to be.

Halp! :(

Ossai
21-10-2009, 02:45 AM
Not sure how to help with the Azreal model. But for the SM holding the gun. What I do with my orks is blue tac (or whatever it is called in the states. The stuff that is used as an alternative to glue. It is orange in most of your pictures) one of the arms to the body. Usually the one with the arm at the end of the barrel. The other one gets glued to the body and bolter at once. When that is dry take the tac off and glue the other arm.

Hephesto
21-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Blu tac (or a local equivalent) is a real life saver. In addition it is very handy to have all part nearby when assembling, that way you can re-test poses and stuff while you glue things together. Pinning can also be useful, or simply applying dots and small markings so that stuff lines up properly.

One of things I've found very fun and helpful over the years is to adjust the angle at which an arms connects to a torse. Super simple, but quite leads to dramatic pose differences. Tough to explain this one without pics, but try and imagine it like follows:
- arms have a flat surface at the tops, same goes for the torsos
- pick the angle you want the arm and, but horizontally and vertically
- gentle shave off a small segment of the arm connecting section and test fit
- rince-and-repeat, until you're happy with the pose or you have no upper arm left ;)

In the end the best advice I can give you is if you don't like it just tear it apart, clean it and start anew. Sure it is frustrating, but a lot less than ending up with a mini that will continue to irritate you every time you see it. Trust me, been there done that!

Inquisitor Alex
21-10-2009, 03:39 AM
I stick the arms on first, and then the weapon. It's easier with kits where the gun is attached to one arm already. With plastic kits, you've got a bit more time before the glue sets, so you can adjust it to fit. If I get a result I don't like, I just crack it apart and do it over.

Aeth
21-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Blue-tac for me to. Get the pose how I want it then remove the tac and glue in place.

Ossai
21-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Just don't glue it with the blue tac still there. It makes a horrible sticky mess.

Honsou
21-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Most people I know with Marines postion the arms and gun using blue tac, glue the arms and then paint gun and marine seperately- assembling once completed. That way it should just be a matter of slotting it in place with a touch of glue.

I on the other hand find this to be unnecessarily clunky, and simply assemble the SM body and arms seperately- one arm holding the bolter. I then paint as usual, and then glue the arms on as appropriate. Since there'll be some paint (which screws up plastic cement) I use a file of a knife to lightly scrape away the pain at the shoulder joint (and use a modeling knife to scrape away the paint on the flat surface of the arm that connects to the torso), and then assemble.

It sounds like alot of effort, but I've found it to be considerably less effort.