PDA

View Full Version : Mordheim?

Jihad Jack
11-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Just recently over at my LGS, Mordheim craze has decided to hit our small group of warhammer groups. Well I played my first game, and lost (cant win them all) mostly because I never read the rules before playing and we agreed that the warband would not be saved. My question is that I think the game is starting to grow on me and Im thinking of making a warband for 500 crowns. Can anyone give some guidence on what a good band is supposed to look like?

LAZtheinfamous
11-10-2009, 04:47 PM
MORDHEIM! YAY BABY YAY!

I love Mordheim! I love it so much that I will pet it, and hug it, and call it George!

Er. Bugs Bunny aside.

The best thing you can do is load up on the max heroes your warband can have from the beginning. That gives you a better exploration phase. More exploration=more money to spend. Also the crossbow is the king weapon of Mordheim. Beyond that it depends on what warband you want to play. I have massive amounts of advice!

Heck, all the mordheim threads in this forum are populated by myself. I would love to give suggestions and tips and modelling ideas, and tactics, and and and....

Faileas
11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Have you had a look at the rules on the GW website? They are free to download (along with all the addon files)?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat1290322&categoryId=1100010&section=&aId=5300009

As for anything I recomend, you start by picking a warband that you like the look/sound off and then start thinking about tactics *smiles*

LAZtheinfamous
11-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Here's a Good Thread (http://www.astronomican.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13780)

That's a thread I did awhile back about how to get the models for mordheim.

Hephesto
11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Excellent game isn't it, love the whole narrative driven gameplay. You really do feel connected to your heroes, grunts and mercs. Another site you may want to check out (especially if you find something missing on the GW site) is The Mordheimer (http://www.mordheimer.com/).

plan9au
12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
God how i enjoyed Mordheim....I have my own little warband of Greenskins....by far the best game GW have made, what i wouldn't give to have a local Mordheim game near me again....Enough gushing my advice, well other than repeating the have as many heros as you can, dont over look the little guy, my Orc band started with as many Goblin archers as i could fit (6 i think) they are at worst a good ol meat shield, and as a Vampire count discovered, they can get lucky as hell....

arceus1018
12-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Hmm.....all this talk about Mordehiem has gotten me into the mood for starting it....

Faileas
12-10-2009, 07:07 PM
DO IT....DO IT NOW! *grins*

Inquisitor Alex
12-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I haven't dug out my Mordhiem stuff in years. Me and two buddies played a bunch when it came out, but then one of them went to Korea to teach English, and the other went back to university, so we lost track of it. What a fun game though - I like the whole campaign thing, building your characters, expanding your gang - Mordhiem and Necromunda were awesome spinoff games - they really should continue to support them.

Faileas
12-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Enjoying my second ever campaign at the moment, Loved building and modeling my warband, and its great fun leveling them up and using them in battles....

Jihad Jack
13-10-2009, 01:14 AM
yeha,
Was thinking of making a witch hunter WB but could not figure out how to play them correctly. Still trying to get into it still.

LAZtheinfamous
13-10-2009, 01:54 AM
First off, max out on heroes. Which should mean 1 Witch Hunter Captain, 1 War Priest, and 3 Witch Hunters. If you have any crowns left after equiping (which should be done to the minimal at the beginning), buy war dogs to fill your roster. They do not gain experience, but they are some of the best early units in the game but you can have a max of 5. As you gain more money, switch them out for either zealots or flagellents. Since wardogs do not gain experience, they aren't that great for the long haul, but are really good in the beginning. If you focus two or more dogs on almost any target, they will probably win. Especially if you keep them away from your opponents heroes.

Jihad Jack
13-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Hey Laz thanks for the tip!

Sorry I couldnt edit the post fast enough, but I actually changed factions to Middenheimers group for the 500 point level, what do you think of this list.

Well heres my list for the 500 point limit. Now Im trying to understand if picking Dramaitis is worth it or not.

Johann the Knife - 70

Captain - 205 Points (Might need to trim the fat on this one.)
warhorse
2 handed weapon
H.Armor

Youngblood - 60
free Dagger
Crossbow
Light Armor
Leader Promotion

Youngblood - 55
Swords x 2
Light Armor
Buckler

Warriors x 4 - 220
Light Armor
halibeards
Bucklers

right now I think im sitting at 480/485 Points. Im not sure how it will work and you know more about the game then I. Im trying to get a heavy rush down melee list going. My friend who started the craze plays shotty dwarves. But I just want a fast beat down list. So feel free be harsh.

LAZtheinfamous
13-10-2009, 03:00 AM
By Category:

Well, you can't take a Dramatis Personae until after your first battle, but the upkeep on them kills. Wait until your warband reaches max before bringing in any hired swords. It will harm your ability to get lower level troops.

Captain; Ditch the heavy armor, its really expensive and there are alot of weapons in Mordheim that will render it useless. Save for when you are at max and have the money sitting around. Also a horse is not very useful. Yes you get around faster, but alot of the scenarios require searching indivual houses, where horses have trouble.

Youngblood 1: Cross bow=win. Ditch the rest. Besides, you only your captain can have leadership.

Youngblood 2; Young bloods start with such crap WS and BS that it is almost a waste to put them in close combat, because they will lose. After a few matches, then they will be monsters. Until then keep them in the back with ranged weapons, where they will be able to stay alive for the exploration phase and occasionally get the extra experience point for killing some dude.

Warriors; Again, ditch the armor. With all the armor reducing stuff (notably the cross bow -2 to armor save!), it is kind of a perk rather then a necessary. Also halbreds are two handed weapons, which means that the buckler can't be used in close combat, which is the only time they can be used. Which is redundant. Instead go with swordsmen with a sword and buckler. The difference between the losing the armor will make up the balance with the losing the light armor. And they will be able to reroll failed parry attempts and failed to hit on the charge.

Overall, this is a decent list, but there's a bunch of trim. However, you forgot the most important thing! You have to fill up on your heroes! Take all the money you save by stripping armor and buying the 2 Champions that you can have! Mordheim is a numbers game, and that number is the rout check number, which is one fourth of your total number of warband members. Right now, if you lose 2 dudes, you would have to take a route check.

Dwarfs will have very low numbers, and it is best to overwhelm them in the numbers category. Cause they will have much better equipment then you.

A Slightly different Build:

Captain
Two Handed Weapon:

Two Young Bloods
Two Crossbows

Two Champions
Two Two Handed Weapons

Five Swords Men
Five Swords
Five Bucklers

Ok, five points over, but that's ok. Or okish. Depending on your friend.

The way that you would deploy is that the two youngbloods take a position where they will be able to fire. The Captain and one swordsmen gaurd them. Then each of your champions takes a body gaurd of two swordsmen to advance. The swordsmen will soak up fire from your champions, and they are more likely to just knock down a dwarf, leaving the champion who would strike last to finish him off (and thus gain experience). Your route check number is 3 instead of 2. Thus leaving more chance for you to win, because a dwarf warband will probably have a lower route check.