PDA

View Full Version : A Cross Roads

Adrassil
08-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Iam not sure which forum this belongs in actually.

As the title of this thread so implies I am at a crossroads (metaphorical one of course)

My mate is about to start up a Dark Heresy game with the new Rogue Trader rules and I may play but it has inspired me to think up a campaign myself to GM with my own friends.

I have been thinking about the story line like crazy over the last *ahem!* day and came up with an idea; the game will be on one planet (what kind not quite sure) But will basically revolve around a secret, underground war being waged between an Inquisitor and a very, very rich Rogue trader.

I will actually give the players at the start the choice which side they want to join and roll on from there I am planning to adapt the missions for the type of party the players choose to roll with but I have an intrigue fuelled plot that is in its youth of planning

Now I will get to the point of this thread, if the poll option has not given it away awhile back I had GM’d a game of Dark Heresy with my mates it was the first time I had ever run a game of anything before so I am not sure if it is my fault, I will try keep this civil but it may fall into rant city.

I found my mates frustrating players to say the damned least; all they really wanted to do was slaughter things like a damnable D&D game which is fair enough really.

I did allot of mistakes I gave them a NPC who was “my” character an Assassin who was there to make up a bit for the party’s lack of close combat skill he ended up being hated by the players so much they really plotted to murder him lol I understand that he was an arrogant jerk.

But really the plot which was I think was complex and intriguing I felt was wasted on them, perhaps I am arrogant but most of them had little or no interest in it only one of the three man party actually role played; actually asking NPC’s legitimate questions and tried to figure it all out.

The other two, well one played a Clint Eastwood type who only wanted money and to kill stuff, the only real roleplaying he did was how he killed things he was a cool character who I genuinely liked but he got a little old after awhile, the last, he was ridiculous to be frank, this player was the one who caused me to give up on the game, his idea of “character development” was to cut off the head of a dead mutant and use it like a ventriloquist puppet right around his commanding Interrogator, he also tried to high five every single frigging NPC he met and whined when they left him hanging, questioned everything I said GAH! I had to hold his hand so that the Interrogator wouldn’t kill him but really I should not have.

Perhaps it was his ignorance of the universe of Warhammer 40,000.

Well the cross roads I am at is whether I should play this game with them? I really would like to play it see what they do, I am tempted to leave out the latter player the other two are cool but the latter’s my flat mate so...Yeah.

Or should I write it? Make it into a story either to be published on Astro or perhaps I will send it into the Black Library one day (at least try) hah that’s if I ever finish it (Henry frigging Zou can do it why can’t I give it a go?)

Please vote! And I would really like to hear what you guys have to say.

In other words negative criticism would be appreciated as well and tell me if needing anymore detail and I’ll PM it.

Thanks!

TempestBlade
08-10-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure how appropriate this is to the 40K forum, but I'll give my two cents.

I've been playing RP games for coming close to 10 years. I've been in games like the one you described, I've experienced players like the ones you described, and I've been like the players you've described.

You cannot beat players who "want to be stupid and have fun". If the RP turns into you versus them, then it's failed.

The only way to alter something like this is to speak to your players. Ask them what they want from their game. If they say they don't want political intrigue - then don't do a roleplay about it! If you asked them "Do you want to play a game of Warhammer?" They said "No", and then you proceeded to start setting up a game, you wouldn't expect very much from the battle would you?

If they say that they're interested in that theme, then you can guide them through characters which will allow that (this is one of the most important parts, a wacky character = a wacky RP). If they say they're not - then don't do it, you aren't catering to your audience.

Captain Castus
08-10-2009, 08:48 AM
I'd say... Play the game and try and 'educate' the annoying player...

He might settle in and turn into an interesting character! If he doesn't... Then let the axe fall...

i.e. Give him a chance...

CC

p.s. Moved to 'Other Games'

Adrassil
10-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks you guys!

Ive just typed up the first part called "A secret war WIP" lol work in progress so I'll say the terrible name is because of that :D

Thanks

Ziggy Tempest
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
But really the plot which was I think was complex and intriguing I felt was wasted on them, perhaps I am arrogant but most of them had little or no interest in it only one of the three man party actually role played; actually asking NPC’s legitimate questions and tried to figure it all out.
If you're a new GM, which it sounds like, then you may be failing to give them adequate reason to get interested in whatever it is you want them to. It's also your job to keep the storymoving whether or not they follow what you set out, try not to railroad them. As for the player, tell him what you expect from the players and ask that he tries to live up to it.

kharn the betrayer
11-10-2009, 07:07 PM
I vote for play the damn game but kill them all off very messily....

As GM you are God and the Devil and everything inbetween, make an example of one of them and if that doesn't work kill another one. Thats what I do if people get out of control...

Adrassil
11-10-2009, 10:39 PM
If you're a new GM, which it sounds like, then you may be failing to give them adequate reason to get interested in whatever it is you want them to. It's also your job to keep the storymoving whether or not they follow what you set out, try not to railroad them. As for the player, tell him what you expect from the players and ask that he tries to live up to it.

Yeah I did railroad them alot I do concede, I guess that give them more freedom but if they do anything over the top they need consequences either immediate or far reaching.

How about I warn them that there will be consequences if they go over board and if they still do then lay it on them.

Thanks Ziggy

@Kharn; Mwahahaha! Maybe I could send a greater daemon after them? or two? or three? oww hell while I'm at it four; one for each Chaos god! Mwhahahaha!!! Ahem sorry :D

kharn the betrayer
12-10-2009, 07:09 AM
One from each god possibly........

I would keep playing but be a bit firmer, kill one of them point to one at random laugh bwhahahahahahahha then kill them...

Not in real life obviosly, the bodies take ages for the pigs to eat!

Adrassil
12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
OOps my bad five daemons one for EACH god thanks Kharn