PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember or still play Hero Quest?

The Anti-Hero
26-09-2009, 06:17 AM
Does anyone else remember this old gem-of-a-game?
I came across this game when I first moved to the U.K. to attend a boarding school.
I was this very out-of-place German boy in a private school where no one else spoke German (I was sent there with the hopes of making my English skills greater and also getting a strong classical education).

I remember we had a period, right before bed-time, that we were allowed to do what ever it was we wanted. Most of the boys watched television or played darts. We had a games shelf against the wall. In the very back was an untouched box of (you guessed it) Hero Quest. Three other boys (who were not popular as well) sat around trying to figure out how to play.

Then, one of them, got up and came over to me. I was by myself and drawing, such is my way of passing idle time. He said his name was Simon and that they needed another player, wishing for me to join. I did so, as I was eager to have atleast one friend.

From there on, it was history. Playing that game almost every night with a good lot. This game got me interested in (and introduced me to) Warhammer.

I long to have another copy of this game, but alas, I have yet to find one. Alas, but so is the way of things.

Anyone else? I still say it's a bloody brilliant game.

Faileas
26-09-2009, 11:41 AM
You can normally get them off Fleabay, but they tend to go for about 60quid +

My friends still have copies, in fact a couple of years ago we dung them out and had a few games....much fun *nod nod*

Bagsey Elf!

LAZtheinfamous
26-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Hero Quest? Wow, that game got me into both GW and D&D. I miss it. The closest thing you can find like it is Heroscape, which is by Milton Bradley who was the partner of GW for Hero Quest. Not a bad game, but also not a great game.

Aeth
26-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Hero Quest was a classic.

luther
26-09-2009, 06:33 PM
it's seems that heroquest got alot of people into GW threw this game well it was for me, advanced heroquest was also a brill game and not forgetting space crusade ah the good old days .....

Inquisitor Alex
26-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Love their spinoff games. Pity they never do proper support for them. Heroquest was a blast, and also the only way to get plastic fimir !

Faileas
26-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Mordheim is the natural progression *grins* gets off his mordheim soapbox

plan9au
27-09-2009, 12:56 AM
i grew up with this game, many hours spent during winter friends or family around the board carving our way to the end, i also was lucky enough to get hold of two of the expansions (kellers keep and Return of the witch lord?) and the rules for the third (something about the ogre king), still have it around home somewhere, and i was lucky enough to pick up another copy of it in new condition at a goodwill along advanced space crusade for $10 the pair....

Eternus
30-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Yep, I'm a HeroQuest baby as well! I had at least 3 expansions, including the one with the Ogres in, the one with the Witch Lord and the one with the Mercenaries that you could make up a retinue of - I forget the name of that one. I don't have the game any more, but I do have a few models lying around - a couple of the Characters and a Chaos Warrior or two.

I thought the pure GW decendant of this incredible game was Warhammer Quest? I still have this. Another great game.

JohnLawley
14-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Warhammer quest was basicly the GW only update of advanced heroquest, play ti witht he wife occasionally.

thiunk warhammer world have/had a copy of heroquest on there games shewlf in bugman's bar.

Tall
14-12-2009, 07:53 AM
I love that game, still do! I picked up a nearly new copy with 2 expansions a few years ago for a couple of pounds from a charity shop, it took me back more than a few years!!
I have recently discovered a version to play on the pc, it was a free download that someone had made and it's not bad at all.
I think I may just have to go have a quick game now.......

Eternus
17-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I love that game, still do! I picked up a nearly new copy with 2 expansions a few years ago for a couple of pounds from a charity shop, it took me back more than a few years!!
I have recently discovered a version to play on the pc, it was a free download that someone had made and it's not bad at all.
I think I may just have to go have a quick game now.......

I think I remember that game on the Commodor Amiga - is it the one where you have a view from above at an angle, with Morcar opposite you and that great music!

Tall
17-12-2009, 08:51 AM
No it's top down as if your looking at the board itself. I think it's a homebrew but it's really good.

Musashi
17-12-2009, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=Faileas;238434]My friends still have copies, in fact a couple of years ago we dung them out and had a few games....much fun *nod nod* [QUOTE]

I won't even ask where the games were stored....

Byar
02-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Heroquest was the first GW game I ever played, it got me into the whole thing, I still have it banging about the house somewhere, and I remember having the Witch King expansion, bagsey dwarf

Let The Dice Decide
06-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Heroquest was the first GW game I ever played, it got me into the whole thing

Wow, Same here. i got bought it one year and after playing this lead to space hulk and then warhammer.... So Hero Quest is to blame....:happy:

juggler434
18-03-2010, 09:25 AM
My group plays Warhammer quest on occasion, but we seem to always bet ripped to shreds by minotaurs. Having a random card that pulls d3 minotaurs is just brutal.

NathanS
18-03-2010, 01:02 PM
I had a copy and never go to play it.