PDA

View Full Version : A Tutorial of How to Build a Monolith?

Ezio
23-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Just because I'm starting a Necron Army I wanted to know how to build a Monolith (the ones you buy from GW or retailers, not scratch build ones...). Are there any Tutorials of how to do it?

Consadine
23-09-2009, 10:03 PM
There should be instructions in the box :p

barny
02-10-2009, 01:34 AM
from personal experience helping my friend build one, i can say with the utmost confidence that it is a 2 person job. it took me and my friend about an hour or so with us both glue/holding and such. his did come with instructions though.

Lax74
04-10-2009, 02:32 AM
I just started a necron army myself - my monolith was the first thing to arrive in the mail, so it was the first thing I tried building.

My recommendation?

Painters tape. When you attach the four "walls" of the monolith, you can lay the superglue down semi-thick, and then use small bits of blue painter's tape to hold the four "walls" together long enough for the glue to dry and seal them in place. The only downside is that there is a likelihood that the superglue will cement some bits of the backside of the tape to the model. Careful use of the tape, as well as being handy with a small file and an exacto knife can fix that problem. Or you could be dumb like me and not realize that the glue was leaking onto the tape until it was too late, and have to hide your gloppy mess with a cool special effect (one of the top corners had a bad gap and had painters tape superglued near the sides, fortunately I had gloppy glow in the dark paint and made it look like I did it on purpose!) I've got pics of that model in my public folder on here, however I'm unsure how to link to that, so I'll instead link to the pic from my picasa folder

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_q8rGmTY_XuU/Ssb07i25tlI/AAAAAAAAAJU/zYia2KM-TEk/s512/100_7459.JPG

Arctophylax Faren
04-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Superglue? The monolith is plastic isn't it? You should use plastic glue - I think that won't stick to the tape.

Lax74
04-10-2009, 09:47 PM
I've been having really good luck with the "Gorilla Glue" brand cyanoacrylate superglue on my minis. I just made the mistake of being overly gloppy on the gap I was covering with the painter's tape. So I glopped over the glue and tape gloppy with bright green ooze paint glops.

Honsou
08-10-2009, 09:20 AM
There's a downloadable instruction guide to the assembly of a monolith (and most of the other big things you can get from GW) on the Games Workshop website. Just use that one, I recall seeing it there just the other day- head for the articles section and browse around a bit till you find it.

Superglue? The monolith is plastic isn't it? You should use plastic glue - I think that won't stick to the tape.

Not to mention that it'll do a far better job- plastic glue actually bonds the plastics, superglue just creates a very strong seal between two otherwise separate pieces of the model. As a rule of thumb, for the regular gamer who is simply assembling their models- there is no reason to even have superglue. Superglue only starts coming in handy if you are using metal models or you are doing alot of conversions.