PDA

View Full Version : 1000 point Vampires list

Dr. Acula
21-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm just starting to choose some vampire counts and would like some suggestions for my first 1000 points. Here is what I've come up with:

Vampire (General, with Grave Guard)
- Lord of the Dead, Dark Acolyte, Black Periapt, Biting Blade

Vampire (with Skeletons/Ghouls)
- Lord of the Dead, Sword of Might, Nightshroud

15 Skeletons
- Champion, Standard Bearer

15 Skeletons
- Champion, Standard Bearer

10 Ghouls
- Champion

20 Grave Guard
- Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of the Barrows

Faileas
21-09-2009, 10:40 PM
*waits to hear what jape says* *Grins*

Inquisitor Alex
22-09-2009, 02:58 AM
I like the idea of twenty grave guard :) That's gonna knock something down...

japehlio
22-09-2009, 03:40 AM
aha! more fresh corpses join my legions...

anyway, nice solid basis for a 1000 pointer, but a few tips.

From the bottom up, Grave guard:
+'s: well done, not wasting points giving them great weapons, the killing blow is good enough as is!
-'s: drop one (make a unit of 19), and also take banner of Strigos instead, tis cheaper, and the Hatred re-roll is better for a "hammer unit" than +1 to hit, trust me... (break the enemy in one charge = hammer unit)

Ghouls:
need more, enough said! ten will not last long against any amount of shooting or combat. Take 20, drop a unit of skellies to enable this...

Skellies: As i said, drop one unit. Make the remaining unit up to about 20, and take banner of endless nightmare (its quite handy...)

Vamps: Two lord of the deads is overkill, go with one lord of the dead and dark acolyte, the other should take Summon ghouls and Ghoul-kin for sneaky surprises...
I cant argue with your generals weapons either, he should hold his own. perhaps some magic armour instead of the black periapt?
Keep vamp 2 with the ghouls, and GIVE HIM THE BOOK OF ARKHAN! that way, he will get: a free march move before the game; march move on turn 1, and a magic move again! thats 24" moved in one turn, bu a fully ranked up unit! ouch!

but play your list, perhaps try and work in some of the tips and see how they work for you!

remember, Death is inevitable...

Dr. Acula
22-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Vampire (General, with Grave Guard)
- Lord of the Dead, Dark Acolyte, Flayed Hauberk, Biting Blade

Vampire (with Ghouls)
- Summon Ghouls, Ghoulkin, Sword of Might, Book of Arkhan

17 Skeletons
- Champion, Standard Bearer, Banner of Endless Nightmare

19 Ghouls
- Champion

19 Grave Guard
- Champion, Standard Bearer, Royal Standard of Strigos

Total - 994

Vamps - number one will be with the Grave Guard supporting them/buffing them. With the Biting Blade the enemy won't usually get an armour save against him and he'll probably get 2/3 kills per turn.

Core - dropped a unit and added more Ghouls as suggested. Couldn't make the Skellies up to 20, but I'll be able to raise that many fairly quickly.

Grave Guard - hard as nails. With vampire 1 in there I think they'll be able to hammer through units without any problem.

Thanks for the advice - any other suggestions?

japehlio
22-09-2009, 02:42 PM
buy zombies... you get them for free in the game after all..!

Dr. Acula
22-09-2009, 02:44 PM
I think when I expand it to 1500 points I'll throw in a necromancer who has the sole task of raising zombies as tarpit units.

japehlio
22-09-2009, 02:54 PM
no, at 1000 points have both of your vampires know IoNehek (which they do anyway), and have both know raise dead! spend a turn raising the dead, spend next turn filling out the unit (remember you get d6+4 wounds on zombies) and now you seriously outnumber your opponent!

evil tactic #1:
with the ghoulkin power, by turn 1/2 you should be in position to charge the opponent, so charge the front. Raise a unit of zombies near the ghouls, and using the book of Arkhan have them charge into the flank.
Now, minimum unit size you can raise with Raise Dead is 5 zombies.
Minimum unit size required to break an enemies rank bonus?
thats right,
five...

you see why zombies are one of my favourite units in the game?

also, if you are ever playing a goblin army, raise a unit of zombies either behind, or to the flank of a night goblin unit. No, you dont have to place them 8" away, they can be 1" away as per raise dead rules. Can seriously feth up a goblins "plans" when he doesnt get to release the fanatics when he wants...

Ossai
22-09-2009, 03:42 PM
also, if you are ever playing a goblin army, raise a unit of zombies either behind, or to the flank of a night goblin unit. No, you dont have to place them 8" away, they can be 1" away as per raise dead rules. Can seriously feth up a goblins "plans" when he doesnt get to release the fanatics when he wants...
Now, that is a genious plan. Must try that sometime :D

Dr. Acula
22-09-2009, 04:35 PM
no, at 1000 points have both of your vampires know IoNehek (which they do anyway), and have both know raise dead! spend a turn raising the dead, spend next turn filling out the unit (remember you get d6+4 wounds on zombies) and now you seriously outnumber your opponent!

evil tactic #1:
with the ghoulkin power, by turn 1/2 you should be in position to charge the opponent, so charge the front. Raise a unit of zombies near the ghouls, and using the book of Arkhan have them charge into the flank.
Now, minimum unit size you can raise with Raise Dead is 5 zombies.
Minimum unit size required to break an enemies rank bonus?
thats right,
five...

you see why zombies are one of my favourite units in the game?

You evil, evil genius. I love that idea so very much I will include some zombies. I wasn't planning on using many just because statwise they're terrible, but that way of using them is awesome. Can you cast Raise Dead whilst in combat? If so then the charge, raise, vanhel's idea is nasty.

Ossai
22-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Yes, I believe you can. It doesn't require line of sight so my say is Yes.

japehlio
22-09-2009, 06:58 PM
yep! you can! only unit that cannot be cast in combat is Gaze of Nagash (magic missile see?)

and i love zombies, also because for 80 points you get a unit of 20, and one of your core requirements made up!

Faileas
22-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Can the zombies move the turn they are raised? (seeing as magic is after the move phase?) if not then you have to last two rounds of CC right?

Dr. Acula
22-09-2009, 11:18 PM
They can't move that turn, but you can cast Vanhel's Danse Macabre on them to allow them a free move. That way you can charge them into the side of the unit and go to town.

Dr. Acula
23-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I've designed another list that could be interesting. It's somewhat more elite, but it contains some speed and hard hitting units.

Vampire (with 19 Skeletons)
Lord of the Dead, Dark Acolyte, Tomb Blade, Flayed Hauberk

Vampire (with Black Knights)
Dread Knight, Walking Death, Sword of Might, Book of Arkhan

20 Skeletons
Standard Bearer, Champion

19 Skeletons
Standard Bearer, Champion, Banner of Endless Nightmare

6 Black Knights
Standard Bearer, Champion, Royal Standard of Strigos

My only concern with this army is that there are only 3 units to start with, so I'd be relying on getting a good couple of Raise Dead/IoN rolls to boost the unit numbers. I could cut some points and get 10 Ghouls in there, but I don't think they'd really be strong enough on their own without any backup.

Tactics would be having the two skeleton blocks holding the middle to allow the Black Knights/Vampire to go to town on the enemy and hammer them from the flank, especially given his Vanhel's move.

Faileas
23-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Just out of interest, what is the casting roll for Raise Dead, and that dance thing?

Dr. Acula
23-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Raise dead is a 5+, Vanhel's is a 7+. That's part of the reason they're so good - they're really easy to cast.

japehlio
23-09-2009, 11:37 PM
more than that, they are classed as "necromancy spells", and so can be cast more than once by the same wizard, avoiding the usual restriction of one cast of a spell per wizard... so my general, a level 4 wizard, has taken some knocks to both him and his unit? no problem, il just fling out 4 castings of Invocation of Nehek, hopefully heal myself up a bit...

Radioactive
19-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Wow, I've been following this thread and just...wow. Looks lovely and ruthless with the spells. One problem, I don't know where Im going to get that many zombies from;) I'm thinking of grabbing the VC battalion, Vampuire and an extra box of zombies, will this do just for easy starters?