PDA

View Full Version : How do i go about making a decent base?

luther
19-09-2009, 01:21 AM
Iv'e just got the gamesday chaos warrior and i'm looking at making it a display piece so if anyone has any good advice/tips or links to make the base look grand that would be ACE ...:)

Cheers....

Consadine
19-09-2009, 01:42 AM
What style do you want it to have? City/urban, desert, grassy, snow, a mix of gravel and snow, underbrush?

Eodred
19-09-2009, 01:45 AM
There's a score of different tut's here (http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2009/01/tips-and-tutorials.html) Just look under basing.

As it goes basing can be very simple to very complex, for example sand with a wash and a drybrush is very simple, sculpted lava with a painted OSL effect is very complex. I'm going for a dead foe underneath my fig for my GD entry, not too complex but adds a fair bit to it.

Hope some of this ramble is vaguely useful :D

Cheers
E

Honsou
19-09-2009, 01:48 AM
I would link you to my basing tutorial, just to advertise for myself so to speak, but since it's not immediately relevant... xD

Well, pretty much the same way you go about making a regular base- just with a little more care and attention. That said, if you're looking to go for a real display feel, that opens some other options that you might not necessarily want to go with on gaming models (particularly with the new LOS/TLOS rules).

If you're doing display, then the key thing is to plan it out carefully- think about the following things:
1. Where is the character? (fortresses, cities, worlds, trenches, spaceships, anything you like)
2. Why? (this is important for the feel of it- if it's for the purpose of massacres, for example, then blood all over the place might be an idea)
3. Who is he? (in the sense of: is it someone special, should you specialize particular aspects of the base- ie if he causes the death of everything around him, having dead/wilted plants might be an idea)

Basically, you want to think up the background, and use that to guide you. That is the most important thing, because the rest is just a matter of construction.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to dig deep into your bitz box, try to think in terms of diorama- make the contents of the base coherent and logical, in line with the background. And turn pieces of bitz is never a bad thing.

luther
19-09-2009, 01:56 PM
well because i dont play fantasy anymore i am stuck for bits but i do have 2 chaos hounds and some other bits.

i'm having a bit of painters block as far as the base is concerned....

cheers for the advice astro peeps...