PDA

View Full Version : How do you do quick and easy bases?

Tall
12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
:o Ok, Seeing as more than one person has mentioned that my basing technique is sorely lacking, (which it is) I was wondering if anyone could tell me the quickest and easiest way to improve on them? You've got to bear in mind that I REEAALLY hate doing bases but I also see that they need to be done a lot better than just the sand they are now. So any help will be more than gratefully recieved.

arceus1018
12-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I just blob white glue on the base, dip it in a tub of sand, let it dry, paint and overbrush, but I also use a bit of static grass. I finish around 30 models a day like this.

http://www.astronomican.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=275&pictureid=2226

Not too sure if you can see it but the technique I use comes out really well....if you have enough patience and a lotta white glue at hand.

Musashi
12-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Well, i tend to base my models before i spray them, then i take painting the base as part of painting the model. doesnt seem like such a chore then.

i go for Graveyard earth > brown ink wash > highlight bleach bone/graveyard earth. then glue grass/snow on top.

Maybe if you have already painted your models you could glue sand to base then just go for brown ink wash > highlight with appropriate colour.

Tall
12-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I might try that Musashi, 90 odd per cent of my painted stuff is based, but I was looking at some other Chaos stuff and really liked the blacken earth look with a bit of snow on for good measure. But if i do that it means rebasing nearly 100 miniatures! But I've got a large base lined up to try out which ever technique takes my fancy which I'll do tonight after work. If this this looks good and passes muster with you guys then it looks like I've got some models to base properly!!
18:00 is the deadline for any other easy ideas, so thanks for all your help so far.

darknight
12-09-2009, 10:23 AM
easiest/cheapest quickest has got to be paint pva on base, dip in sand tap off job done.
wash with desired colour, drybrush with a lighter one when dry voila.
personally im not a fan of basing a mini before painting as you the have a harder time painting details such as feet, and you have more chance of paint transfer, but each to his own way :)

grimdisco
12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Here is a link to a tutorial I did a while back..
Its easy and looks good.
http://z11.invisionfree.com/THE_PHALANX/index.php?showtopic=470

Hope this helps.

If a mod wants to add this to the data base feel free to do so ( I have the pics so if you want to copy the text I can send the pics for it.)

Inquisitor Alex
12-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Depends. I like "turf" texture on a lot of stuff, the kind GW doesn't make anymore (but you can get it at hobby shops that do trains and whatnot) If you're using sand\gravel, you can flock the base before you paint it - means you have to be careful when painting feet or anything sitting on the ground, but the paint gives a bit more solidity to your base texture. Check these "city wreckage" bases out.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/Allykz666/Voltigar%20Prime%20Redcoats/SupportSquad004.jpg
Just gravel and chopped sprue, but it looks great - took no time at all.
Helpful if you're going to paint the gravel\sand a different color too. I used gravel and chopped up sprue to make the "Glacial Crust" bases on my Warmachine Khador guys.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m216/Allykz666/Khador/khador1-kovnikmarkov.jpg

Static grass over sand is also a neat finish - works better for Cadians than Valhallans though.

Tall
13-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Well I did the base last night, I'm not sure it's quite right but it's better than sand.........

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af49/tallpaulr/Base.jpg

Chaos black primer, drybrushed Scorched brown, Adept battle grey, fortress grey then space wolves grey.

So what do you think?

darknight
13-09-2009, 10:20 AM
looks good mate, well done, not sure if you need all the colours as they may not show, but it looks ace :)

Tall
13-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Cheers, looking at it again, the next one i'll leave off the brown, i think it just looks mucky with it on. But i suppose that's the joys of trial and error!

darknight
13-09-2009, 12:17 PM
thats right it is, and sometimes you dont get a good representation in the pic, but you got what you set out to achieve, thats the main thing, well done again.

Inquisitor Alex
14-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Looks good ! Nice job on the painted gravel. A couple of small patches of static grass could make it great though.

Musashi
14-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Nono, leave the brown. that looks great! it would look to monotone with just greys there.

DK, you may say that you cant see all the colours, but thats the point, same with layering a large cloak on a model, you cant se each colour, yet your not really ment to. They all add to the overall effect.

Greeat base, that would be made better with a feature on the base (discarded helmet, unused grenade, latger rock etc) i cant recomend the 40k basing kit enough even if just for the nice resin peices.

ChrisSpaceWolves
14-09-2009, 04:46 PM
The base before you prime works GREAT, but if you have models that are already painted before you base them I find that a larg amount of badab black on the sand will darken the recesses better than trying to paint the sand and its quicker too. after it drys... usually after around an hour drybrush with codex grey.... mind you its a very light coat, fortress grey then white. After that take some static grass or some old parts of a spru that you prime and paint first, glue that to the base and your done. It will take me around 45 minutes to do my Necrons that arent based in this manner, and I have to do the whole army still.

This base was done with the technique above.
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m339/ChrisMBianchi/100_5820.jpg

Ohh... and something I recommend that i haven't done yet is painting the edge of the base with Khemrie brown. it makes the greys pop even more.
After you wash the bases you will still see some brown sand color through the dry wash but after you hit it with the paint you wont notice it at all. Enjoy!

Chris

Musashi
14-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Ohh... and something I recommend that i haven't done yet is painting the edge of the base with Khemrie brown. it makes the greys pop even more.

Chris

ohhh, actually, i paint the edges of my 40k bases black, and warhammer graveyard earth. not sure why i differentiate though..............

Tall
14-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I need to get some snow flock I think just to break it up a bit but that won't be till pay day, but I think I'll give the wash a go on the models that are finished if nothing for the fact that there's so bloody many of them!!! But I may try it with a very very thin wash of chaos black, simply because I'm nearly out of Badhab!

Inquisitor Alex
14-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Don't buy GW snow stuff. It's messy as hell, goes everywhere, and I got so nerved out about possibly breathing it in I started using it outside with an antidust mask on. The stuff you get from model railway shops is kinda granular, and actually has some weight and mass to it. Also 1\3 the price for three times as much. I like to paint black trim on my bases. Makes them all look like "mini-diorama" or something. My brother used to do his a darker green than the top surface. My buddy Glenn paints colored bands around his bloodbowl guys bases to show player position. Everyone has a trick they like best for that, I find.

Tall
15-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Well I've got the girlfriend looking for some flock today so hopefully I'll be able to do them this evening, the next question is do you just glue the base and then dip, or is there a knack to it?

Tall
16-09-2009, 06:33 AM
Well here are the new look bases (minus snow because I'm still waiting for some) I do think they look a lot better. I hate them all the more for that!! ;) Now I've got to redo 100+ models so they can all look as good, but it will be worth it in the end.........I think.

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af49/tallpaulr/ChosenB1.jpg

Tall
17-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Well we've got some snow but it's Bicarb not flock. Looks good but I think it need to be a bit runnier to flow better but see what you think.
(I apologise for the photo it's shocking)

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af49/tallpaulr/P17-09-09_1552.jpg

Inquisitor Alex
19-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Bicarb ? that's inventive base texture ! Looks great !

Honsou
19-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Bicarb ? that's inventive base texture ! Looks great !

Make sure you coat it with sealant or glue though!

darknight
19-09-2009, 07:03 AM
you dont need to coat it you use pva as a base for it ;)

Tall
19-09-2009, 07:23 AM
I've given it a quick blast with GW laquer just to give it a bit of a shine doesn't look bad at all considering what it is.

Consadine
19-09-2009, 07:27 AM
A mix of baking soda and PVA glue works just fine, really. Kind of goes along with what darknight said, but mixing lets you glob it on as thick or thin as you want. I recommend adding more baking soda after applying the glue mix so you'll have more of a snow look.

Example:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/zilities/IMG_0003-50.jpg