10 archers (110

2 bolt throwers (200

6 dragon princes. banner, banner of ellyrion (215

wizard, lvl 2, dispel scroll, seer staff (185

10 phoenix guard, battle standard, keeper of the flame (174

any good?

ItemfinderDeluxe
13-09-2009, 04:21 AM
Firstly, I hop no-one minds the one week bump...

I'd say that the Dragon Princes can afford to be cut down a little more, down to the minimum 5 models. They'll survive a lot of things anyway without the 6th model, and 5 seems about right of 1000pts. The Phoenix Guard seem to be a bit of a weak link in the army - they really need combat resolution to win battle since they lack the combat prowess of the other Specials. If you can't get anymore then 10 models to the unit I'd recommend replacing them with White Lions for their Stubborn and shooting protection.

Finally, that Lv2 mage won't do much by himself, even with a Seerstaff. Perhaps you could drop him down to just a scroll caddy and use the points to upgrade your units?

Faileas
13-09-2009, 09:54 AM
why do you say the level 2 mage would do much himself?

ItemfinderDeluxe
13-09-2009, 03:06 PM
He won't do much by himself because the list only affords him 4PD in each of his Phases - even if the opponent runs 2 DD it's still potentially half of his Magic Phase down the drain. Even with the Seerstaff's ability to let the mage choose his own spells an LV2 Mage won't be able to cast the 'power spells' of the Lores and will most likely need to commit 3 dice to reasonably cast 8+ spells (average 2D6 Magic Missile range). Finally, even taking a single LV1 mage in any army will give an extra DD to work with, and possibly Scrolls as well.

That, and High Elves aren't very magic Offensive anyways. They certainly lose out to the Big Three armies of WFB in Magic, and armies with cheaper Wizards (Empire, Lizards) give them a serious run for their money at 1000pts with the possiblity of commiting two Wizards to the HE's one. Dwarves won't even blink with their standard 4DD.