PDA

View Full Version : A question about mixing different brands

Ezio
29-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey, I am currently trying to find the perfect colors for my Dark Angels (with some differences, they won't be only green...), now, I found some interesting colors but they are from different brands (for example I want to paint my Chest plate with a mix of Reaper Paints Aged Bone and Vallejo Game Elf Skin Tone. Is it ok or I'll be better with only painting with one brand?

Nomad
29-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Provided the paints are all acrylics they should be fine. Don't mix oils such as the older Airfix range with acrylics though. A little water should be added to help with the blending process.

Ezio
29-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Provided the paints are all acrylics they should be fine. Don't mix oils such as the older Airfix range with acrylics though. A little water should be added to help with the blending process.

Well, those are the paints I'm going to use:
Vallejo Elf Skin Tone
Reaper Master Antique Gold
Reaper Master Pine Green
Reaper Master Olive Green
Reaper Master Aged Bone
Reaper Master Reaper Paints
Citadel Boltgun metal
Citadel Mithril Silver

I'm going to use Pine Green, Jungle Moss and Olive Green for the whole armor except the Chest Plate and Eagle, Elf Skin Tone and Aged Bone for the Chest Plate, Antique Gold for the Shoulder Plate trims, Antique Gold, Aged Bone and Mithril Silver for the Eagle and Antique Gold and Mithril Silver for the eyes.

Nomad
29-08-2009, 12:07 PM
If you are not actually blending the paints (combining 2 or more for different tones/colours) then there is absolutely nothing to stop you using different brands, or indeed mixing oils with acrylics. It is only when blending there is boundaries...

Ezio
29-08-2009, 12:09 PM
If you are not actually blending the paints (combining 2 or more for different tones/colours) then there is absolutely nothing to stop you using different brands, or indeed mixing oils with acrylics. It is only when blending there is boundaries...

Well, I guess I'll mix some Elf Skin and Aged Bone for the Chest Plate (50:50) and Antique Gold and Aged Bone for the Eagle and then Antique Gold and Mithril Silver for the Eyes.

Nomad
29-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, I guess I'll mix some Elf Skin and Aged Bone for the Chest Plate (50:50) and Antique Gold and Aged Bone for the Eagle and then Antique Gold and Mithril Silver for the Eyes.

Then they'll have to be acrylics. As I noted earlier, mix a little water to help with the mixing and mix thoroughly so there are no multi-coloured streaks.

Ezio
29-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Then they'll have to be acrylics. As I noted earlier, mix a little water to help with the mixing and mix thoroughly so there are no multi-coloured streaks.

Ok! Thanks ;)
REP for the help!

christheabject
29-08-2009, 06:01 PM
As a side note, it is ok to paint oil on top of acrylic, but not acrylic on top of oil. because of the properties of the two paints, the acrylic will simply pull off of undercoatings of oil.

Nomad
29-08-2009, 06:32 PM
As a side note, it is ok to paint oil on top of acrylic, but not acrylic on top of oil. because of the properties of the two paints, the acrylic will simply pull off of undercoatings of oil.

Yeah. I forgot to mention that. Better to just avoid issues and use one or the other, preferably acrylics.

Ezio
29-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Aum... but which of the paints I mentioned are oils and which of them are acrylics?

christheabject
29-08-2009, 09:43 PM
i don't believe any that you mentioned above are oil... it's just some general information to keep in the back of your head. I've seen some people use water-based oil paints to detail models.

Nomad
30-08-2009, 07:15 AM
All are acrylics mate, no fear of mixing...

Inquisitor Alex
31-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Reaper paints are great - I love those eyedropper bottles - unspillable! Also they make inks, and I love inks. So dissapointed when GW cancelled theirs. I heard something about switching manufacturers and their new source for paints doesn't produce inks.

Nomad
31-08-2009, 02:57 AM
The new washes are pretty good but don't have the depth of inks. I can't find a local hobby store that stocks inks though :( Oh well, there's always the internet...

Inquisitor Alex
31-08-2009, 06:20 AM
I'm with you on that, Nomad, I wasn't impressed with the pigment in those washes at all. The "devlan mud" over bestial brown doesn't even show up. Frankly, I'll water down my own paint, thanks. I'd suggest the Reaper range for anyone missing the inks. They're comparable in quality to the GW ones, but every bottle has a pewter skull in it - when you shake the bottle, the skull mixes the ink up - I've never had one dry up on me like the GW ones would sometimes. Plus you get a neat little skull bit when you run out.