PDA

View Full Version : HE help

gcsmith
24-08-2009, 08:17 PM
anyone help me do a nice army list for HE, i want it to be competative while having some nice models so not spending to many points on a Dragon

Inquisitor023
24-08-2009, 09:41 PM
You can't ask someone to do a list for you! Make one and we help you.

gcsmith
24-08-2009, 09:54 PM
wat i mean is any suggestion?

Inquisitor023
24-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Yes, but we need something to work with.

japehlio
24-08-2009, 10:59 PM
well the thing about HE's is that you dont have to spend a load of points on a dragon, I mean you have like four to choose from, taking a lord on a daddy dragon and you can still get a hero-level wizard on a baby dragon for a few hundred points. And why wouldnt you want one, they look amazing! and come on, 2 dragons in a 2k list! arg! so post a list an we'll try to help you

gcsmith
25-08-2009, 05:29 AM
k, well i had worked out a list with Prince on a great eagle which im gonnna convert to look like a pheonix and 2 lvl 2s, with 30 archers and 20 white lions and 20 PG and 4 bolt throwers, but it seems 2 small

Snoza
26-08-2009, 11:36 PM
well, i am dont have my HE book on me know, but here is roughly what i can think of at the present time (there is no Magic Items cause i cant remember them at this time);

Lord:

Prince, Star Dragon

Heros:

Noble, Eagle

Mage, lvl 2

Mage lvl 2

Core:

15 Archers

15 Archers

Special:

20 PG, Full Command

20 WL, full Command

WL Chariot

Rare

4 Bolt Throwers,

Thats going of what you have given to work with (and added a Nice lord and Chariot)

Let me know what you think.

Snoza

Musashi
27-08-2009, 07:39 AM
My old list (again no book so no points) was as follows,

Lord on foot
armour caledor
great wep

noble
bsb
heavy rmour
lance
battle banner

mage
lv2
annulian crystal

mage
lv2
insert 40pt arcane item here

10 archers (to house one archer)

10 archers (to house one archer)

19 phoenix gaurd
full command
warbanner (to house the prince)

13/14 white lions
full com
lion standard
(deployed 7 wide on the front rank)

5 dragon princes
full command
banner ellyrion (to house the bsb)

lion chariot

bolt thrower

bolt thrower

great eagle

great eagle

or well something like that anyway.............

gcsmith
27-08-2009, 07:40 AM
hmm i think ill cut 5 of each group of phoenix so they aint to blocky, and maybe put some shadow warriors. i hope theres enough points for magic items tho

gcsmith
27-08-2009, 10:11 PM
wat do people think this army will do?

Anith Anar (245
mage lvl 2 ring of fury dispel scroll (175
mage lvl 2 seer staff and dispel scroll (180

10 archers, Hawkeye (120
10 archers, Hawkeye (120

10 shadow warriors, shadow warrior (172

1 bolt thrower (100

6 power dice i know but still packs a punch

ItemfinderDeluxe
28-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Unfortunately that list is quite weak, simply bacuase you lack any real form of High-Strength combat power. You only have 2 Bolt Thrower in Anar and the RBT as well, so you don't have the shooting to fall back on. Whilst it makes for an interesting theme army, it's just going to get rolled by anything involving Cavalry.

First thing I would do is drop 5 units of Shadow Warriors. That gives you 860pts. Then, I'd add a few more things to help with the advance.

1 RBT - 100pts
2x Eagles - 100pts

This maxes your Rare slots, but the extra RBT will add yet more S6, and more importantly the Eagles can march-block an enemy unit or 2 and even attack War Machine crew if need be.

2x Lion Chariots - 280pts

Another 2 Special slots go into Lion Chariots. You have enough shooting to not need the Tiranoc Chariot, and the Fear it causes and potentially massive number of S5 attacks can go well to act as a counter-charge unit. Shame it doesn't get Stubborn like regular White Lion units.

18 Phoenix Guard with Full Command, Amulet of Fire and Banner of Sorcery - 380pts

A solid unit to take charges whilst other units move into position forms up the centre of this battle line. The Banner gives extra power to your mages, and the Amulet of Fire will protect them from magic in turn.

Finally:
Replace Jewel of the Dusk with Silver Wand - save 5 pts.

Giving another Spell is slightly more useful with the Banner of Sorcery. This, and an average 2 Dice from the Banner, should give you 8 dice to work with each of your phases, allowing for at least 3 Spells of a reasonalbe value each turn.

OR

Replace Jewel of the Dusk and Dispel Scroll with Annulian Crystal
Replace Seerstaff with Dispel Scroll - save 10pts

This adds a defensive boost to your army, whch is slightly more useful against VC's, Tzeentch Daemons, and other high-magic casting armies. Pinching a dice to give you 5 in each of their turn, with +1 to dispel and 2 scrolls will give you a reasonalbe magic defence. That, and High Magic gives you Drain magic for free, so you'll always have 3 Spells per Mage if you choose it.

gcsmith
28-08-2009, 07:30 AM
well that shadow warrior army i thought could be weak. i just made it for a theme army for someone on another forum. My army is gonna be more balanced, once i work out a competative list, ill try making one today and see wat u think

ItemfinderDeluxe
28-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, good theme armies tend to base themselves around Chrace with White Lions and their Chariots, Caledor with Dragons and Dragon Princes, or Hoeth with magic and Swordsmasters. Unfortunately Shadow Warriors are a big support unit and cannot carry an army's weight on their shoulders, but it seems you already knew that.

Very well, I shall await your actual list and see what you think.

Marticus
28-08-2009, 09:54 AM
ive often thought about running an army like this.. looks like a fun one to play, very mobile, but it may struggle against tough armoured foes, admittdly you can out manouever them, or horde armies where the mubers will be able to soak up the casualties while overwhelming you.. still i like it!

gcsmith
28-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Right heres my Army.

Prince with star dragon, star lance, armor of caledor, talisman of saphery (520

Mage cady with 2 scrolls (140

Noble with dragon armor, sheild reaver bow, great weapon and mask of the merlord (151

10 archers with hawkeye (120
10 archers with hawkeye (120

5 dragon princes with full command skein sliver and banner of ellyrion (240

lion chariot
tiranoc chariot
15 phoenix guard full command and talisman of loec (265

and 2 bolt throwers (200

This all comes to 1981 with nothing really to spend points on, however one friend suggested me putting my prince of horse in princes instead of dragon because the dragon is two expensive this would free points but is the dragon worth it?

gcsmith
29-08-2009, 08:54 PM
no ideas on the army?

ItemfinderDeluxe
30-08-2009, 04:15 AM
It's going to take a while to get back to you. I have this terrible habit of writing a lot (ie. pages) when it comes to an army. However, you could always fill me in about your particular playing style - what you like to do, what you see your units doing, etc.

gcsmith
30-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Well actually ive never played a game with highelves so i have no style with them yet, :p im just researching and planning as i buy to show the stupid desciples of khain in my store that asuryan is best.

ItemfinderDeluxe
31-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Bringing it to the Dark Elves? I like it :D . Of course, those Druchii punks with their fruity purple are a lot tougher then we are, but we still have a few good tricks up our sleeve to teach them a lesson or two on how to be pointy-eared. One thing to establish:

High Elves are NOT expendable. We've got crappy saves on almost everyone, and unlike the Dark Elves we don't have the numbers to offset it. This means that each combat, each shooting, each magic phase needs to be carefully planned for maximum effect.

LORD

Ignoring Special Characters, you can either run the Dragon offensively, support-style, or defensively, or probably not at all. But, that's not what I'm guessing you want, seeing as you have it. A Dragon at 2000 points can fit, but it's a tight squeeze. As for using it, if they drop a Hydra on the table use the Dragon - Hydras are broken on so many levels that they can take down anything short of a Star Dragon or a combat resolution cheapshot. As a few examples:

Offensive - charge in the right spot and kill things. Be back home for tea. = Star Lance, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Talisman of Loec
Support - Flank opponents and shoot/breath things. Charge exposed flanks and combats it can break. = Dragon Armour, Shield, Halberd, Bow of the Seafarer, Temakador's Gauntlets
Defensive - Take hits, let the Dragon kill everything else = Lance/Halberd, Armour of Caledor, Vambraces of Defense, Amulet of Light/Gem of Courage

The Offensive and Defensive types were pulled from http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=29517&start=0, whilst the Support style is my prefered item setup for Dragons. The Talisman of Saphery isn't going to help much on the Prince since he's got ASF and combat prowess. Such an item really needs to go on an Archmage or BSB.

HEROES

The isue here is taking the Dragon loses a slot. Still, let's work with what you have. The mage caddy is alright, but you might want a bit more magic defence in your army. But more importantly, you will want a BSB in your army - Druchii fear-causing units and infinite hatred (why can't they just get over it :confused: ) means you'll need every trick in the book to stand your ground, even with Valour of Ages. You could try for extra Magic defence, or instead go for a combat cheapshot

Magic Defence - who said you could only have 1 Mage? = Noble, Barded Steed, Dragon Armour, Lance, Shield, BSB, Radiath Gem of Hoeth
Combat Resolution Cheapshot - yeah... Noble, Barded Steed, Dragon Armour, Lance, Shield, BSB, Battle Banner
Offensive - Kill stuff AND add combat resolution = Noble, Barded Steed, Dragon Armour, BSB, Sword of Might, Dragonscale Shield, Amulet of Light

CORE

Archers are alright, but I prefer using Sea Guard if I want a shooting unit, simply because I'll get a save and half a chance to fight back in combat. But that's just me. What I do know though is that the Core choices though will most likely end up dead anyway no matter what you take, unless your opponent ignores them - they're just so frail for Core...

SPECIAL

The Dragon Princes will need something slightly better then the Skeinsliver - the sliver's use disappears before the first turn, and you want the DP's to go and squash things after that. Give the Sliver to the Phenix Guard Champ, and give the DP champ an Amulet of Fire or Gem of Courage instead. It depends on if you think you might need to hold your ground or you want the MR(1), but if you bump the Noble to a steed you have the Banner and Re-Rolls anyway. Speaking of which, swap their Banner for a Standard of Balance to make them Immune to Psychology, and spring a nice suprise on the Dark Elves who no longer re-roll anything.

As for the Phoenix Guard, drop the Talisman of Loec to make room for the Sliver. The talisman is better of on a Prince, or even a Swordsmaster Champ, but not a Phoenix Guard champ - Guard are good at taking hits, but not so much dishng them out. Also, try to bump the unit to 17 and hide the Mage in there for a bit of protection.

Not much to say about the Chariots, but if you need to make some room for points you may want to drop the Lion Chariot first, simply because the Tiranoc Chariot has 1 extra inch of movement and a pair of bows, making it slightly more useful to hunt War Machines and Harpies.

RARE

Max out here, either 2 Eagles or a 3rd RBT and 1 Eagle. Eagles need to hunt their RBT's and march-block their Knights, whilst your RBT's need to target Hydras, Black Guard (if they have their magic ASF banner), their Knights and Chariots, and their Repeating Crossbowmen.

Other then that, I'll leave you to it to possibly have a few games and get a feel for the High Elves. Seriously though, it's so much more enjoyable to win with High Elves then their purple counterparts (stupid Hydras :mad: ).

gcsmith
31-08-2009, 01:00 PM
eagles i hate, i dnt really see much use, sure march blocking but its just me. eagles arnt good for my army. and my opinion

gcsmith
31-08-2009, 01:02 PM
but thanks for the response, ill print and read more indepth wne i can.