PDA

View Full Version : 3 questions:

Ezio
14-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Yo~
I'm going to make my gaming board very VERY soon, and I just wondered, how big should I make it... the lay out of the board will be:
Base 1....Jungle....City Entrance..Road..City..Road..City Entrance....Mountain and Rocky area....Base 2

I thought about 1x3 meters (1 is the height and 3 is the length) or 3x9 feet (3 is the height and 9 is the length), for the layout I presented above, do you think it's ok? or should I make it 1x2 meters (3x6 feet).
Another question is: what will be the width, around the 1 or 2 inches (2.5 or 5 cm)?

Now a question about the minis:
how big is this:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1050001&prodId=prod1060242
Can I use it for 1 tactical squad and 1 vehicle?

darknight
14-08-2009, 08:38 PM
best size mate is 4x6 for 40k and fantasy over 1000 and 4x4 fantasy up to 1000, width should be about 1" depending on what you use but thats a good strong board then

Ezio
14-08-2009, 08:43 PM
best size mate is 4x6 for 40k and fantasy over 1000 and 4x4 fantasy up to 1000, width should be about 1" depending on what you use but thats a good strong board then

OK! 4x6x1 it is! :D thanks!

darknight
14-08-2009, 08:52 PM
no worries :)

Honsou
14-08-2009, 09:58 PM
As darknight says, 4x6 is the 'standard' size- if this is your first table, you'll want to stick to something that is relatively standardized. Here are some thoughts for you, to help you in this and any future project of this nature:

Base 1....Jungle....City Entrance..Road..City..Road..City Entrance....Mountain and Rocky area....Base 2 You are thinking very "computer game map" here. That's fine, if it were a computer map. However, as it is you'll find that almost any table (unless specifically crafted for that purpose) will not really justify this sort of set up. Instead, try to focus on 1 thing- jungle, city, mountains, etc.

You don't need to make provisions for 'bases', nor for large swathes of area to be fought over- most combat doesn't take place in that sort of environment anyway. I suggest you read through the different codices, you'll find lots of scenarios- look at the boards, they are always relatively 'simple' in nature (in that they tend to have one, and only one, theme). The one exception to this is the city gates concept, where you'll usually have lots of fortifications for the defender, and open ground (fortifications are often deliberately set up so that the ground in front of them is as open and flat as possible- to create a wide killing zone).

So, fazit: pick one and go with it; and make the whole board one single theme rather than lots of different ones. It will be easier on you modeling it, and in terms of set up and playing.

My next thought is this: this is your first board, but you are falling into the trap that so many (myself included I have to admit) fall into. Specifically, you've decided upon this vastly ambitious project- sadly, most people will not realize how complicated it can be to build your own board, let alone one with all the details, etc, etc, etc.

Fortunately, I struggled through my first stupid project, and have become ever crazier ever since- but most people I know of who've gone overly big the first time tend to give up. For all these reasons, and to give yourself a gradual introduction to the whole process, I suggest you try and "think small."

Finally, although many people will not do so, I advise that you try your best to make your board as modular as possible. Not necessarily in it's layout (that can be a pointless effort, as often as not), but in it's relation to the board itself. That'll make it infinitely easier for the NEXT time you wanna make a board, perhaps with a little more scope then, and so on. Never forget the future.

In that spirit, you should also remember not to fix anything down until you've really decided- map out everything carefully, be meticulous- trust me, it's worth it!

Hope those thoughts help you some.

Ezio
14-08-2009, 11:35 PM
...most people I know of who've gone overly big the first time tend to give up...
If I want something, I get it... No matter the odds! :D

When I said I'll make the table I meant either the dude from the hardware store or my father... :D

I guess I'll make it a city, as that was what my friend and me originally wanted. I'll still make it 4x6, just to have some more space (1' for each side) for minis and stuff.
If we are doing City Fight I'll use the 4'x4' for the board it self and the 1'x1' left for reserves etc.

Although, as you said, I can also use the "city gates" concepts and make an exit from a city and then a big plain...

I'll see after some thinking and asking my friend.

Thanks for the advice! :D