PDA

View Full Version : Beaky

Honsou
07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I was thinking about this the other day, after I read a discussion that brought it up several times- and now it's been recalled to me as a result of several S&M...or was it SM, WIP threads.

Everyone I come across seems to love beakies, unnaturally so (if you ask me)- while I absolutely detest them. The way I see it, they look bad, and are utterly useless when it comes to modeling. As a result, I've always put them aside (in fact, I have a somewhat...bloated collection of them, somewhere- I may have misplaced the box xD).

Why do people seem to like them so much, or is it just that the people who use them are the ones who tend to post images more often?

Skringly
07-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Because, once every space marine had them. And because in todays set they are different. Plus Pedro Kantor look much cooler with a Beaky helm.

Vulpus Rex
07-08-2009, 07:14 PM
I do like the Beakies, but my all time favourite helmet is the Grey Knight style knights helm. For my new marine captains, two of them, I'm using the heads from the Black Templars upgrade sprues

Skringly
07-08-2009, 07:21 PM
The Mark IV Helm.

Trygon
07-08-2009, 07:27 PM
I like beakies, though my favourite helms are likely going to be from the earlier marks. A toss up between the Mk II, Mk III, Mk IV and Mk V helmets. Though I am not a fan of the Grey Knight style helm. It's so over rated and dull these days.

Captain Kellen
07-08-2009, 08:02 PM
I like them because I can imagine a captain in hand to hand combat head-butting his oponent with the 'beak'!

It also reminds me of an older style knights helm that originated in spain, if I remember correctly.

CK

Skringly
07-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Well I think they did originate in spain but it wasn't long till they were all over europe.

grimdisco
08-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Well It sounds to me, that you need someone to take them off your hands.

I would love to have them as I am working on some PH projects.

grimdisco
08-08-2009, 01:05 AM
I like them because I can imagine a captain in hand to hand combat head-butting his oponent with the 'beak'!

It also reminds me of an older style knights helm that originated in spain, if I remember correctly.

CK

Are you talking about the pig face basani (I cant spell to save my life.)

Ossai
08-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Well It sounds to me, that you need someone to take them off your hands.

I would love to have them as I am working on some PH projects.

I would also be willing to take them off your hands ;)

Skringly
08-08-2009, 01:21 AM
I wander how big this line for beaky helms will grow?
*Steps into line and raises hand*
I wouldn't taking a few form youu. :D

Captain Kellen
08-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Are you talking about the pig face basani (I cant spell to save my life.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/Helm_DSC02155.JPG/180px-Helm_DSC02155.JPG (http://www.astronomican.com/wiki/File:Helm_DSC02155.JPG)

It's a 'bascinet visor' that I was thinking of when I made the comment earlier.

grimdisco
08-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Yep thats the one (I told you I cant spell)

Honsou
08-08-2009, 06:20 AM
And it looks just as stupid irl as it does in 40K. I still don't see why people like them so much- other helments serve to remind you of other styles of helm: what makes these so special. And Pedro Kantor looks best in a helmet with crest, same as every other SM model ;)

Consadine
08-08-2009, 06:47 AM
And it looks just as stupid irl as it does in 40K.

The basic design was intended to direct blows from weapons downward and away from the skull and face of the wearer. Over the course of the late 1300s to early 1400s, the bascinet evolved from a shorter form with a shorter point (or no point at all) to its more pointed form--some so severe as to have a vertical back. In Germany a more bulbous version also appeared in the beginning of the 15th century.

Look at it for a moment and think about the weapons used at the time. Swords and arrows. The helmet is designed to deflect anything incoming from the front. It looks wonky, but was practical at the time they were developed (1300-1400's). Linky to the Wiki article here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bascinet).

I don't have a favorite helmet, but typically anything that didn't show skin was great for me starting out because I couldn't paint flesh to save my life :p

Honsou
08-08-2009, 08:34 AM
That may be as is- but you will note that ALL helmets have deflective and protective properties, that is the whole point. Ergo, it cannot be said that the beaky is any better than the next helmet in this regard, particularly in a universe where the only swords used will cleave asunder even the strongest armor plating.

Besides, that fact isn't what makes people like or dislike it- most people won't know the entire history behind the design. So what is it really then?

I agree with you on avoiding the skin- I tend to find it a little annoying as well, since the space marine armor is intended as all round protection, to let them survive in space and whatnot.

-

LAZtheinfamous
08-08-2009, 12:09 PM
My thoughts on beakies;

1. They look stupid in a mixed squad.
2. They look awesome if they are the only helmet in the squad.
3. THey have to be painted right to look really good.

Captain Kellen
08-08-2009, 12:30 PM
My thoughts on beakies;

Well I got three out of three in this one... however I use a beakie as the sergeant in the mixed squads... and they last on the table a bit longer than unpainted or only primed models.... ;)

and in your honor I made you a beakie in my new squad... I will have to remember this... :D

CK

Inquisitor023
08-08-2009, 01:07 PM
My thoughts on beakies;

I disagree with one, only if they are 1)A Sergeant or 2) A special Weapon Trooper.

Then they are just [CENSORED] awesome.

Honsou
08-08-2009, 01:12 PM
There are better ways to show rank, or specialty- and they give a realm of opportunities in regards to modeling :) Beakies are just...

Scoppio
08-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I really like the beaky helm, it looks much more [CESORED BY MYSELF - my creativity was drained by my owls so latter I'll rewrite it in a better way ;) see ya later guys!]

Or something like it....

Brother_Bobo
08-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Nah i don't like beakies either they're ok for a bit of varity here and there and i understand why people like them as "old school" helmets but there are cooler ones...the helmets on the iron warrior metal minis with the grill mouth pieces for example.

Beakies look good on bikers though :)

Skringly
08-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Beaky Helms = EPIC WIN!

Ezio
08-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Hate those helmets! I love the new ones, I mean the normal ones... Those 'beaks' are so annoying! I can't even think of what the SMs thought about those helmets...

Beakies look good on bikers though
They never look good O_o

Ziggy Tempest
08-08-2009, 09:49 PM
I like them as they just help throw some variety into a unit. Having too many is just odd.

And Honsou, the defensive capabilities of a helmet isn't soley due to the material's it's constructed from. As an analogy i point out how the T-34 Russian Tank was so formidable due to it's sloped armour which gave it superior defensive capabilities, there was nothing special about the armour itself.

Honsou
08-08-2009, 10:00 PM
That is, in and of itself, a property of the armor however. That aside, the statement in regard to the effectiveness of the beaky doesn't hold true- simply because all the weapons that would be affected by that would simply carve through it, regardless of how it was formated. The deflective properties of the helmet/armor are negated by the fact that there are all these highly destructive high-tech weapons around.

Also, technically, the T-34 is a Soviet tank.

Skringly
08-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Ah, it's a Russian Tank, for the Soviet Union. Everybody wins. Plus Yhings like normal CCW are what they were made for. If we are talking about Power Weapons, no helm is going to work regardless of shape.

Scoppio
08-08-2009, 11:31 PM
the shape has nothing to do with anything, its just another kind, by the way, every helmet model works just fine, you can see that because the "anciente relics of the chapter" usually have a few pre-heresy armors and some of the veterans use it just like any other power armor.

Captain Kellen
08-08-2009, 11:52 PM
you can see that because the "anciente relics of the chapter" usually have a few pre-heresy armors and some of the veterans use it just like any other power armor.

Unless you are me! Then they are the norm and the others are not used unless I have no other choice... durn blue marines diverting our shipments of Mark VI 'Corvis' Armour!

CK

Skringly
09-08-2009, 12:55 AM
durn blue marines diverting our shipments of Mark VI 'Corvis' Armour!

THOSE BOUNDERS!

Scoppio
09-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Unless you are me! Then they are the norm and the others are not used unless I have no other choice... durn blue marines diverting our shipments of Mark VI 'Corvis' Armour!

CK

Id love to get some more corvis armour helmet, but I'll not spend 1 buck on each in the bitz stores, and there is no one in my city, or maybe state, that plays Space Marines, so I could take those from him/her.

Honsou
09-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Id love to get some more corvis armour helmet, but I'll not spend 1 buck on each in the bitz stores, and there is no one in my city, or maybe state, that plays Space Marines, so I could take those from him/her.

Try the pay it forward scheme?

Gideon_Not_Ravenor
09-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Beaky heads are ace. I like making marines who have as pure a mark of armour as possible and my favourite to do this are beaky and heresy marks.

Scoppio
09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Try the pay it forward scheme?

yes, ihe taken two beaky in there, but I have more then 30 marines

Honsou
09-08-2009, 03:59 PM
yes, ihe taken two beaky in there, but I have more then 30 marines

Well if you let people know what you're interested in, you might be surprised how much you'll get- it's not like they have to come from one single place. 2 here, 4 there, 10 there, 170 there...you get my point, people can trade what they have; in return for what you have.

Once I find (and I'm having trouble with that...I also can't find alot of my other stuff right now xD) the collection of beakies I'll definitely be putting them up- together with all the heresy pattern armor and shoulder pads (all the stuff I always put aside, basically- not the bits box, but the "will never use box"); see if I can't trade them for some of the armor patterns I like!

grimdisco
10-08-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm sure I have all the parts you want.
300+ marines = lots of bitz.

Honsou
10-08-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm sure I have all the parts you want.
300+ marines = lots of bitz.

Well, if/when I find that box of mine, I'll be sure to let you know ;)

grimdisco
10-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Sounds good.

Honsou
10-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Sounds good.

Although, be warned: I am VERY pernickety about it, particularly about standardization. Essentially, the only two I use are Mark 7 and 8, and almost always following a carefully considered scheme/ all of one type!

Hence why I'm hoping the pay it forward might come in handy, when I start my next recruitment drive :)

grimdisco
10-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I have some of the mark 7 and 8 new in the box.

Honsou
10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Always good to know; definitely keep an eye out for a post in reference to this in the pay it forward thread.

Captain Kellen
12-08-2009, 01:41 AM
My avatar reflects my stance on this subject!

Enjoy!

CK